Monday, March 31, 2008

Plans all gone! /complaints/ different views

Don't you just hate it when you look forward to something for the new week, only to have to change it last minute?
Athena had fever on Saturday late night, triggered by viral, and she was well. Sunday evening (umm..... seems like fever always come in the evenings to play) so decided to let her rest at home today. Was suppose to go gym and head down to Meridien Shopping Mall. Then plans change and I have to postpone my gym to tomorrow. Duh! And I'm pressed for time!! Then why the heck I'm still blogging?? Entertain my friends lor! Must keep the fan club going mah!
And it's not like I have a good time taking care of 2 kids at home. One, when Athena is sick she's not really sick. She's still jumping here and there, obviously happy that she didn't have to attend school. Then I'll have to tell her to stop, when it doesn't get any better - threaten her that I'm bringing her school - bad mummy!
I'm so afraid that it'll spread to mei-mei and then trouble starts. You know once that girl has fever, I panic. I really drop everything (except my clothes -hahaha!) and make sure she's cooled down. I still need to bring her for her DPT 1st booster. I can't go back to Dr Tan - the PD. Coz' she's fully booked for appointments for the next 2 months and to walk in is as good as to stay overnight in the clinic. Maybe I'll bring her to Dr Lee instead.

FYI, she didn't attend school on Friday too coz'... I was still contemplating if I should bring her in until hubby came back in the morning and wanted the children around. Good thing it was Shichida's term break too, so Ari didn't have to go for class.
Okay, there was this debate between me and the principal. On Tuesday night, I brought Athena to see doctor (it wasn't Dr Tan but a relief doctor) and then asked for a letter "to continue medication." The doctor literally follow my words accordingly and wrote that. What the school wanted to see was "fit to attend school and to continue medication". So problem arose when Ms Li opened the letter and told me.. then debate start and I did thought of to let her pon-tang school that day and let her stay in mom's place, (I needed to gym) and somehow I was not pleased, although I understand the school's rule in this, but I'm stuck in a position too coz' the letter was sealed up! Principal said never mind, asked me to call the doctor and they'll take the doctor's word for it. I only managed to speak to her on Thursday and told the chinese teacher to pack her homework book coz' I won't bring her in on Friday since they still need that letter and doctor said It wasn't him who saw her, can't certify "fit". Of course what I can do is to bring her down for consultation again = extra cost + time wasted waiting in clinic just to get that damn letter. Easiest solution is to pull her out on Friday coz' mom was sick can't help me to feed the medicine in school.
I spoke to Mrs Wong about how I feel.. I told her that Athena (is the child being in LCCC for the longest time, she is the pioneer for the 18mths playgroup. Imagine how many years she's been with them) has been there for a long time and through these years they will understand that I'm a very responsible parent. Once my child falls sick, I'll not bring her in. I mean, I could have just made my own life easy and dump her in school while I enjoy myself, why would I bother to let her rest at home and make myself angry?? I do not want her to spread to other kids, but I'm just not pleased how some irresponsible parents are, their childrens' mucus are so drippy or coughing like mad and definitely highly contagious, they still bring them to school. (one girl in her class, her parents never cared about her. Fever also just dump her in there, school call and call ask them to bring her see doctor, nobody cared. The grandmother sell chicken rice in the opposite block also don't care!) Mrs Wong said usually these parents have letter that state "fit to attend school", my argument was "of course, they tell the doctor I gotta work give me the letter. what can the doctor do? Listen to customer lor!" In my case, it's only this time coz' other doctors will write according to what MCYS have asked them to do, and take my ren-ge as a token instead this time. How I felt at that time was as if I've been vindicated.
Anyway, after the talk. Mrs Wong said it's okay to bring her in school on Friday. I also didn't want her to miss her lessons and Speech & Drama leh!
But today, being a very responsible mother I had to leave her at home, nursed her back to health.


***************************************************************************
Different views & I'm in a difficult spot
Last wednesday, was talking to Moo Han during our lunch (after gym) and.... put 2 talkative + thick-skinned ladies (talk until restaurant close also sit there) we end up chatting a varied topic. One of the thing we talked about was different PD, different views = different medicine.
For me, once Athena starts coughing I try to settle it with medications at home, non- antibiotics medicine. If it doesn't, then it's to the doctors. I try to avoid Dr Lee aka the antibiotics doctor. It's off to Dr Ng (Blk 250 doctor), he'd give L-Cimexyl -can't get this in pharmacy the alternative is Flumucil which I found to be very very very sweet. Ventolin syrup and recommend inhalers if I ask. Dr Tan (GP in Punggol Plaza) will give Phenexpect, Vasican. Dr Tan (PD-ideally the first place I want to bring my children go but gotta wait very long) will give mucosolvan, zyrtec. Dr Lee straight away give antobiotics. She used to give Augmentin (which is amoxycillin and can you imagine?! Her body is not reacting to it now. So young, for me it's only recently when I was flying I noticed I can't take amoxycillin) she must take Klacid, whasolone (hope I got spelling right), and she'll tell you to puff and puff. I'm one of the most stubborn mother she must have met, first question everytime she asks me is if I gave Athena her flixotide and ventolin. And.... all the doctors don't hear wheezing but she'll say she's wheezing. I don't deny she's good, maybe she can really hear the small little wheezing or she knows it's coming up. Or maybe she already started giving her strong medicine from the start. FYI, in the clinic, I'll notice she gives antibiotics to almost every child.
This time round, I'm confused if I should bring her straight since I always have to doctor hop here and there until eventually end up there. Then the medications helps! Hubby brought her to see the Dr Tan(GP) yesterday and asked if there's a need for antibiotics. It's not like I'm so hard up for antibiotics but.... guess you'll know how I feel. I don't want to doubt the doctor's capability, some doctors opened their eyes big when I tell them... why? Coz' they view it differently. It's just like how some people have different school of thoughts in treating fever.
With Aricia, I'm also hesitant in bringing her to Dr Lee.. and I feel so guilty that Athena has to be made the guineapig.

No comments: