Monday, March 31, 2008

The New Paper news

I never found any dangers in balloons until I read this!

BALLOON BURST KILLS GIRL
March 31, 2008 Print Ready
Email Article

THE parents of 5-year-old Lily Breen found her lifeless body in her bedroom.

Click to see larger image
5-year-old Lily Breen: Screen capture from Daily Mail website

They tried to resuscitate her, but her brain had been fatally starved of oxygen, reported Daily Mail in UK.

She had choked on a burst balloon.

Lily was autistic and loved to touch and taste things, her parents said yesterday.

They believe she may she have bitten into the inflated balloon and when it popped, it was forced into her throat.

Moments earlier, her father Ian had given Lily a bath and washed her hair.

He said: 'She did not like having her hair brushed so I was telling her that she was daddy's beautiful girl.

'A few minutes later I was in the shower when my wife shouted that there was something wrong with Lily.'

Her mother Angela, a registered nurse who had given up work to care for her, desperately tried to save her before two ambulances and a doctor arrived.

The balloon fragment was found in the youngster's windpipe.

NO SENSE OF DANGER

Mr Breen, 37, said: 'Angela fought to save her but it was too late.

'Doctors said it was likely that she died instantaneously - thank God she didn't suffer.

'She was our special girl and I feel lost without her. To lose someone like that is awful.'

Lily had three brothers, Aarron, 23, Liam, 19, and 11-year-old Aidan, who was at home when his sister died.

Mr Breen, a lorry driver, said:

'Lily was at the high end of the autism spectrum and I believe in the end, that is what killed her. She didn't have any sense of danger like other children do.'

Mr Breen said they had been lucky to have Lily at all, because her birth was complicated.

'We were so happy to have a little girl because we'd always wanted one,' he said.

2 comments:

Roslyn said...

I was shocked when I read this in the papers too. When I explained the accident to my girls, Louisa went 'What? Choked on a ballon?'

Lily Ann said...

Scary huh?