Saturday, April 5, 2008

Shichida class / my thoughts

Started a new term with a new sensei, Mei Ling.

Sheryl will be pleased to know that Aricia did well today. Why? I don't know too! That girl always like to give me surprises. Maybe she's shy? Maybe she's trying to act good until the lil' naughty side of her shows up gradually (1st impression counts mah!) as each day passes by.

As usual, she didn't show much interest in LM. Automatically her heads turns away when the header shows "Story Time". But.. good thing is that I didn't have to catch her and run after her in class today. She was a good lil' girl today, or maybe it's coz' she found it fun to sit on the stacked up chairs (3 chairs) and be the lil' queen (sitting on her throne). I don't care, as long as it kept her quiet, as long as she did the activities.

I read Sheryl's term review for her. I had tears welling up, she was with us for 3 terms and the children love her (I think). I like her too coz' she knows how to get the children to listen to her, except for my defiant girl, but she still knows how to get her to do the activity. Sensing that I have a more 'problematic' child, she helps me out alot. Really appreciate that!
And in my term report on Aricia's performance, I wrote about my frustration. Sheryl sees that in me, I don't know if it's because of the pressure I'm facing with 2 and the other 2 mothers only have one kid. I hope I don't sound like I'm making excuses for myself.

Frustration -
But the frustration of having a highly active child in the class that made me even more tired out/ stressed out. Every week I go and she does the same time, I wonder if I should pull her out. But! It's not that she don't know the answers, she simply refuse to participate. And when she does, she do get correct answers.
Plus I'm so stretched out the whole week continuously. I need to improve myself as a mother.......first I need all the village help - which I don't! I'm always left on my own, working hand in hand with my helper. Hubby whether in Singapore or not, don't really lessen my load. Infact, makes me even more busy with 2 kids around the house. So I need the village help, brother keeps telling me "don't do so many things.. go and relax yourself..." Not that I don't want to. Brother said "let us bring her for her music lesson." Huh? Of course I can't leave that to them!! I need to be present, perhaps he still don't understand it until Iggy grows up (and if he's also enrolled in YJC) that we need to practice at home, and how would I know what to practice if I'm not present in class?

************************************
Term Report for Jan to Mar 2008

Areas of good potential
Aricia, good job for this term, but teacher believes you can still do better. Although you are active in class, you are still able to do well at photo memory games and certain left-brain activities (eg. matching & feeling). Aricia does a fantastic job with finger training activities. She also understands questions and can give answers through body language. Gambatte Aricia, you can do it!

Suggestions for Improvement
I will strongly advise mummy to continue with the 5 mins suggestion method. In class, mummy can try to massage her back in circular motion to calm her down if she's too active. Most importantly, let's try to keep in mind the *6 ways of viewing your child. Try to be positice, because if you're stressed out, Aricia will probably feel it too!

Parental Strength
Mummy puts in alot of effort in class and for home practice. Let's try to encourage her a little more and I believe we'll see improvements next term!

** umm.... 1) it's a good suggestion to rub her back. I'll try, that is if she doesn't run away from me. 2) I forgot about the 6 ways of viewing your child.
Although I must admit I'm this sort of kiasi parent. When Athena was younger, I take it that she's still learning so I can take my time to teach her and don't scold her that often (just like what I'm doing now with Aricia). But when she's older, I expect her to know what's right and wrong and if she spent her time doing something, she better do it well. **

So, new term = new outlook on my part and hopefully new behaviour from Aricia

No comments: