Saturday, April 5, 2008

Children & "drilling into their brains"

Athena
Moo Han asked me if at 5 years old, children are expected to know how to read - I really don't know.
I've heard of some really smart children who are reading at 2, while Athena at 2 was only busy flipping the hardcover books and I have to read to her.
But Athena is reading now with some mistake here and there but at least she can read on her own.

Books @ Home
I must admit I wasn't that kind of "everyday must read one book kind of mother" - although we have books at home and I wasn't that keen to keep going to the library to borrow books. Strange isn't it? Thought I was a kiasu/kiasi mother.
I love Sandra Boynton books and introduced her to them, even so crazy to buy 2 CDs from Amazon then which I play in the car now. I didn't buy the 3rd one coz' I didn't find the songs that upbeat and fun, and now they came up with the 4th
3rd CD
4th CD
One day, when I'm free I'll go through the website again and order it if it's worth getting them. (I keep saying 'when I'm free', but I'm never free)

These are some of the songs that I love from the 2 CDs I have :
1) Please Can I Keep It?
2) Snuggle Puppy, which has a book as well
3) Cows
4) Barnyard Dance, which has a book too!

5) Intermission Song, the whole song is funny


Reading
When I ask her to do her assessment books, she is able to read the instructions. Moo Han did mention that she could know at one glance what she's supposed to do. Well, it's possible. But sometimes I do notice her doing what the instructions tell her to do eg. colour the triangles blue; colour the squares red. I'm sure for that, she does really have to read the instructions.

Now, I get her to read for me. Remember I mentioned that she was trying to read Charlotte's Web for me? Okay, I never let her continue reading that book coz' mummy is always so tired, she reads bedtime story for me instead not me reading for her!
Some months back at EDventure, I wanted to get the Rigby Literacy range for her, but when I flipped the books I thought she should be able to read the Early 3 range. When I saw some second hand books on this Ginns 360 Reading Program, I bought a few books (but I'm looking for the whole series, if anyone knows where I can get it please let me know. Thanks!) and immediately she is reading Level 4, perhaps I should test if she can read the next level.
I don't know if she's far beyond her capability of her peers or far behind, but better don't compare. I'll just compare between my two children.
* There are so many reading programs out there, sometimes we do get confused and spoilt for choice.

Currently, I let Athena play the Wordsearch games. Bought her one small book which she walks around the house with it and a pen and plonk herself somewhere and do it. Looks like she's enjoying it......oh not forgetting too, sometimes her irritating screaming of "I cannot find... I open my eyes big big still cannot find.........."


Aricia
I can't say much about this girl reading, goash! I'll be thankful if she lets me read to her properly. I tried to read to her but in a speedy gonzale way, coz' she keeps flipping the pages. If I stop her, she'll throw tantrum and then I can't do anything with her.
But I would love to make her read read read, make full use of the books we have at home. Then sell them away to make space.


In library
I chanced upon some interesting atlas while in the library. I will have to buy atlas for the children soon. Think I can add more things to the current Flags flashcards she has by adding informations about the country? Woah! More job to do.

Atlas 1
Atlas 2
Atlas 3
This is how the inside of the Wayland Illustrated Atlas looks like inside

6 comments:

Roslyn said...

Louisa's school is using a lot of Oxford Reading Tree series. I buy these http://www.schoollink.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10201_21902_50389_100_22103_22103_category_ for them to read at home. A lot of her peers are reading books without any illustrations. One of them is even reading Harry Potter. But their education system here is different lah.

Boh Tong aka Luke Tan said...

Lily u are an angel and such a fantastic mom to ur kids.

Lily Ann said...

Ros : I've heard of Oxford Reading Tree series. They sell it in Kinokuniya but all sealed up so I can't see.
Geez.... If I try to bring up a prodigy, I'm going to commit suicide first siah!
Uncle BT : This is the nicest compliment I've received. Thanks! Wait till you hear the *ding ding dind ding* - reanactment of Psycho bathroom murder scene. Haha!

Roslyn said...

I seriously think I will be very stressed if I'm in Singapore. We used to be so pressurized, let alone now. When I saw the assessment books in Popular, I started to panick. My girls will definitely have trouble catching up when they return.....

Btw, does Athena's school has a syllables for her. I will like to know what are being taught to children at this age if you don't mind.

Lily Ann said...

Ros : Honestly speaking I dunno what the syllables are.I have no chemistry with the new teacher + never have chance to "really talk". It seems her school is rather slow, and apparently I received feedback from parents who withdrew their kids out to another school due to proximity have commented that their childrens' new school are doing much more.
All I know is that they were using Letterland in N2, don't know if still using that to teach the children in K1, K2.Seems like teacher also didn't teach blends in school, that's what I found out from Athena.
And yes, Popular has so many books that I'm always spoilt for choice. I use that as a guide for what children are expected to know at their level.
Really wish I can help, let me find a time to check with the teacher and I'll let you know.
When are you coming back? For good?

Roslyn said...

Hey, no worries! Thanks for the info. We seriously don't have any concrete plan at the moment. It will have to depend on where hub's job brings us.

Chinese - I don't even know how and where to start with my girls. Always cannot sustain the teaching. Sigh!