Thursday, May 10, 2007

Good and happy memories

Jefferson has been talking about cabin crew lately and on Wednesday he talked about his fiancee's guy friend (who cannot make it in looks) is going for the 3rd round soon. Anyway, I told him I have no idea how the gals and guys are selected. I don't even know how or why they eventually selected me (maybe pity me lor..) or maybe I put gong-tao in their eyes. Haha! My girlfriend who is so gorgeous can't even get in, and me the "long biah' (bang against wall) look can go in.
I encouraged him to try it out coz' I thought he had the height and he's not bad looking. Throughout our conversation I kept encouraging him to try it out. He was puzzled why I kept asking him to try it out. My reply was "you've been asking me about me being an ex-flight crew and from the way you speak, I can sense that you would like to try. You need to try, how would you know if you never try?" After which I cited my living example and how desperate I was to get into the airline that everyone talked about.
The final interview that got me through all rounds and eventually hired was my third try. In my previous tries, alot of times I was "pushed down" when I stood on the height measurement thing. (my 158cm is very risky). Only once I managed to get to the second interview but was still sent home before I jumped into the choppy waters (woh hoo.........I love that. But can't say much if I fall into the big vast sea. I'd turn mentally mad before I get rescued). Once or was it twice, I tried both in the morning and afternoon. That time interview was the walk-in kind at then Dynasty Hotel. But call it suay lor.. never even step inside. Another time, I was sent the yellow card after my first interview.
Just before I went for the last SQ interview, I tried JAL, Asiana and Korean. JAL accepted but thankfully during the transition period, SQ 3rd interview came and I got in, so rejected JAL.
Jefferson didn't believe my story. I swear its the truth,its my way of encouraging him that perserverence pays off.

He then asked me in my years of service, did I have any bad experiences. Somehow I enjoyed my job so much that I forget all unpleasant things, but I must say I had been really lucky (dunno is it a luck shield that is protecting me). Attitude matters I explained. There were "zapping" around but I never thought I was being zapped like a mosquito. When the senior crew corrected me, I take it positively. And I must really say I've met alot of really nice crew, all the things I heard about during training didn't seem to happen. Perhaps they were really zapping me?? I don't know.

Boo hoo... I got zapped!!
But oh yes! I really did remember this LS who really picked at me for nothing. Even expected me to say "thank you" to him really loud when he helped put a breadroll on the tray I was preparing to serve passenger. Yah, it's SQ culture you gotta thank for every single thing. Anway I did say thank you but was too soft for him to hear me properly. And he scolded me infront of pax. Somehow we didn't know IFS was there, observing me (can't remember if I was on check at that time) and it didn't stop just there. He picked at me for every single thing, IFS spied from our galley. We were in FWD galley - B743 (macdonald galley) so we didn't know he was there. Once I came back from cabin and IFS asked me if the LS was making life difficult for me. I lied to him trying to cover him up. After the meal service, the IFS came back to galley and asked him to proceed to PCL. Guess what that LS told me? "If I had known you were the IFS pet, I wouldn't have scolded you." I was shocked, blur and didn't know how to react (afterall I was still a newbie) Then IFS asked me to see how I am feeling. Didn't know to say Thank You to him for siding me? or start tearing coz' I was really scared.. but somehow at that time I realised that in life the truth prevails. And you know what? We worked alongside in PCL, I was already promoted to his same rank liao, he cannot zap me. Ai yah.... he also forgot lah! I should have pretended to ask him "do you remember me??" And retribution - he didn't get his promotion to CS and mind you he is very senior!!
Other than that, I remember another LS who dunno why his 8-character cannot suit another 2 girls and me. We all had been flying for long, no other crew found fault with us except him. He'd picked on us. And you know whenever we help EYCL after (whoever) is working in JCL, we'd see situation and help the side where the junior crew is. After that then we'll help one another. That mad LS didn't like it, say why must we help one another. ??? Karina put in the breadroll for me (I was doing galley work) coz' she was putting in her 2nd meal service towel, she kena scolding. I felt bad that she got scolding for nothing. IFS (he's quite a famous guy inside) dote on us 3 musketeers. He knew that when we work we will work hard, and when we play we play. So much so that he can joke with us but he will not joke with that mad LS.
Another IFS, superbly on the ball kind (crew will freak out when they hear his name).. yah lor.. yours truly kena from him. And anyway that was injustice but I didn't bother explaining myself coz' he won't listen. And if I stand up for my right infront of that guy, I'd be seen as challenging him. What happened was the girls B3 & B4 was giving out headsets on the ground. I told them to stop doing it and do it after take-off. Dunno what they doing, perhaps scared until mind go blank; ears all go deaf. The aircraft taxiied and safety demonstration was about to be played, I stood by at my door D3L (IFS can't see me coz' toilet infront) but somehow heard some noise so turned to look and saw them stilll giving out. I went to call them back and yah lor.... IFS saw me not standing at my door - then I kena scolding. Call it suay!
On the return leg, I worked with him in PCL and I must say I really learn alot from him. He didn't seem that bad afterall. He was teaching me things, for someone who hardly work in PCL. And why hardly work there?
1) I was the most junior LSS so priority would have been given to those senior crews
2) They choose position and I get the worst deal lor! Full load in PCL for HKG, work until my kebaya almost dropped. Haha!
3) Most IFS never follow the books, LSS who are Graded 1s are suppose to work in PCL EX-SIN. Of course I dunno what their grades are, but when I hear their announcements, they didn't sound like a 1 to me. So, this poor girl got 1 also no chance lor!

The cycle goes on
I was treated nicely by my seniors who did their best in mentoring me. So.. this must go on. I do my best to mentor the junior. I didn't know how well I influenced them but I had so many crew coming to me to thank me or remembering me & some who tell me "So, you're Lily Ann Teo? My friend XXX told me about you, you being nice blah blah!" I just did what I can and my name spreads?? I dunno.. I don't need credit for this at all.

Nice passengers
I look upon all passengers as equal, so it makes my work easy. I've met funny passengers who make me tickle.
I have passengers who remember me and call me by my name when they see me. I'm shock but they tell me I serve them on what flight; when etc... (when I went back home or check in hotel, I go through my homework book - yah! they were right. One PPS stands out. He shuttles between SIN and CAN quite often, so I bumped into him a couple of times with his mother. Then for a period of time I wasn't rostered (probably a year or 2) then one fine day.. he came on board again bound for CAN. He first saw me, my back was facing him coz' was helping pax, then he greeted me first. "Hi Lily, long time no see. And congratulations on being a ninja (termed for LSS)." Isn't that sweet? That was the last time I met him, I left the company a few months later.

Nasty ones
Okay, I encountered a few. But I totally forget what they did so only remembered the good ones. There's one I remember, he kept pressing call-bell during meal service. I did try my best to give him his drinks but he kept pressing every few minutes, and it disrupted me serving other passengers. I did tell him I will definitely come back to him, infact the last time I served him. A lady passenger saw the situation I was in and offered to vouch for me just incase I get a complaint letter from him. So kind of her!

Summary
On the whole, it was many happy and good years for me. The things I've learnt are intangible. I enjoyed every single moment of it. I've grown up alot since and thanks alot!

No comments: