Friday, May 18, 2007

This week in a brief

Tuesday
Gym : Body combat in the morning. Dunno why, is it the fitness glove that I'm wearing that I'm suddenly transformed into a fighter - I was feeling the hyped in punching etc..
Suhaimi gave me a smile when he saw I was (still) struggling with the jumpkick. Next time I better don't stand infront. Geh-kiang lah!
MeiYi : I laugh at the way Athena speaks to her violin classmate, MeiYi who hails from Beijing. She speaks with a mixture of mandarin and english with her si-bei angmoh tone. No wonder her Speech & Drama teacher says she speaks funny, and sometimes like got short-tongue like that.
MeiYi, is the only girl in class who is always the problematic one. Why problematic? She doesn't concentrate, asks her to do it properly - she plays around. Teacher teaches; mother look but never correct her child. And I can see that her child is quite notorious type. If I complain about Athena not holding her violin properly, this girl is worst! But what can I say? Her mother couldn't be bothered.
Then MeiYi started coughing with ........... alot of phlegm. I'm shocked! Her mother hasn't done anything since 3 weeks ago after I heard her phlegmy cough - this time is worst! Asked her if she's brought her to the doctors coz' it sounded really bad to me. And not that I was cursing her darling daughter or what, but I gave her a matter-of-fact advice that it'll go into her lungs and she'll get pneunomia. Oh shit! I think I translated wrongly and told her "脑膜炎" - meningitis? No wonder she gave me a funny look. I mean, I was trying so hard to convey the message across to her in my funny mandarin.
Anyway, she said she gave medicine. Asked her what medicine from GP?
She : No, I gave her 仳杷膏
Me : 仳杷膏? Is it of any use? Her cough didn't sound like 仳杷膏 can cure it. Why don't you go down to the chinese medical hall to get one medicine from them, it's meant to clear the phlegm.
She : Medical hall? I don't trust the medical hall here? Anyway, the only chinese physician that I'll trust is those from China, how qualified are those in Singapore?
Me : Okay, if you don't trust the chinese physician here. Anyway the recovery is slower with chinese medicine, why not bring her to PD? There's medicine to clear the phlegm. Don't delay.
She : No, it's okay. I'll let her have 仳杷膏 and then when we're back in China end of this month, I'll bring her to see the physician there.
Me : (keep quiet. Anyway it's her daughter not mine! I've done my part to advice her. In my mind, I'm thinking buay-gia-se. Perhaps I get overtly cautious once Athena gets a cough coz' she has bouts of acute bronchitis that's why)

I don't know if you remember me writing about this chinese girl from Wuhan, whom I met in my gynae, who don't eat medical herbs during pregnancy?? I spoke to her mother and was shocked that the chinese don't rely on it. So, MeiYi's mother has this thinking too.
I dunno, maybe like how she's thinking - she only trusts her countrymen. Likewise, I only trusts the lady we normally go. If you ask me about the physician over there, I'll be fearful. Coz' don't forget there has been reports of bogus bear gull; pearl powder etc.. sold there. So you think I dare to risk my life?

Wednesday
Too tired to go gym today, otherwise want to make it down for Rino's class. Body aching from yesterday. No wonder Jefferson was telling me "do equipments first then do cardio". I did before and after and was almost dying when trying it again after Combat.
After dropping Athena off in school, went to mom's place to take something. Yam and sweet potatoes - mom's scared it'll rot so asked me to bring to my home for consumption first; otherwise spoil already wasted.
Alyse called me to ask if I'm home, she wants to come over. Alyse was my ex-team gal in 1997 or 1998? Turned out that she and me had applied the same area. We're only a MSCP away! Saw her a couple of times in her kebaya reporting for work. Anyway, she has resigned recently - due to pregnancy. Congratulations gal! Welcome to the Mommies Club.
She came by we chatted, the last time we chatted was when she needed to pass me my boxes and boxes of handiplasts - Dora; Spongebob; Barbie and what you can't find in Singapore. Athena uses it as a miracle plaster; just one small scratch she'll complain and give her what design she wants and immediately - no pain. I call it miracle plaster too, coz' she'll finally stop whining about - I get peace.
Wow! There's so much to talk about. She asks if I can be a babysitter coz' she wants to go back to work after delivery. Coz' by then Aricia will be one. I don't mind helping her once in a while but not all the time coz' I'm relatively busy with the kids. "Busy?" she asks. Yah... and then I started my long story about my daily schedule with the children leaving me no time to do anything; not even my own business- which I have to stop time being. Damn stupid! Paying to ACRA but business is still.
Anyway, I can't imagine myself looking like those old ladies - paid nannies. Eeeks! I'm young and I still want to enjoy life not to be 100% housebound 5 days a week!
Alyse is looking for contract jobs for the time being too. So if any of you have any recommendation for a 6-months job, do leave a message for me.
In the evening, received news that mom has to go through ERCP tomorrow. I'm scared coz' mom had been going under knives countless times, although ERCP is non-surgical I'm nonetheless scared.
Prayers ,prayers, prayers. It's been heartening to know that helper has all these while been praying for mom. Dad usually don't make the effort to pray, has actually done so. He even dropped by the Guanyin temple to prayer.
Why?Why?Why?Why my mom? Hasn't she had enough of suffering?

YJC : PeiZhen's daddy is on flight so Grace came. As usual we'd be talking. At one point, Peggy had to say "Athena mummy, Peizhen mummy.. " Then she asked if we knew each other, we said we were ex-colleagues. Then phew! tension wasn't there anymore, Peggy chuckled "wah... so small world, bump into each other here."

And guess what I found out from Grace? The Mothers support group they have in Pasir Ris (consisting of ex-crews and hubbys pilots) included Angela as well. And when I talked about May Tia's birthday party some time back in Laguna Country Club, she said she was there. OMG! I could have spoken to her then. Small world it is!
Again my girl had to be stopped by Peggy. She likes to turn her head around to see her friends when they all gather around the piano. I've already told her upteen times, old habit dies hard. Peggy stopped playing and then turn her head around in her direction.
Then she came and tell me "Athena has got short attention span huh?" Yes! I dunno what to do with that girl. Really! She's too playful already!
After class, KZ was waiting outside with Aricia (who refused to sleep when she's outside). Everyone asked who's baby is that. Athena would pretend and go up to her little sister and say "my mei mei..........." and then kisses her. Trying to be proud or what I don't know? Faith kept looking at Aricia, her mom says that she's been asking for a baby sister. I told her maybe one day she can come to my house to play with mei-mei, Faith was so happy. She wants to touch Aricia but she's shy. On the other hand, Aricia is oblivious to the attention that she's getting; starts smiling at everyone; kicking her legs and moving her hands in excitement chuckling. Received comments that she looks like a doll. (Most of the time we get comments from strangers about Aricia and not Athena, I wonder how Athena feels??)
Grace who seen Aricia at Ikea before said she likes her curly hair. Another mother says she is big. I said "you're the first one who commented she's big." Then she corrected "her length" Then she asked if Athena was born big. I said no, both are born small but Athena progression was much better. "Is Athena a big eater?" "No, both of them are big eaters but this little one outputs alot." "Ai yoh........she's so lucky."
Little Aricia as you all know is teething, so she's trying to ease her itchiness etc... when I was carrying her, Suddenly she lunged forward towards the nape of my neck and nibble nibble - like a little Dracula. Haha!

Thursday
I'm not in the mood to hit the gym today. Anyway, I woke up feeling weak. I remember in the night I was covering myself with my blanket from head to toe and all curled up in foetus position.
Brought Athena to school. Feeling shitty liao, rested at mom's place awhile before popping by hospital.
Mom said I looked tired, I told her. And I got a scolding from her "and you still dare to come, afterwards you spread to me how?" But how am I going to explain to her that I want to come because I'm concerned about her. She kept asking me to "go home and rest". Nah! I decided to stay on. She scolded me "see lah! all the late nights..." As if I want like that, I don't have much time in day time mah... infact I've been sleeping early (my standard - 10pm) for the past few nights. I dare not tell her maybe it's the bak-kwa that I had been munching.

During the time we were there, two ladies came and introduced themselves as churchmates of my aunt. Brother & me chuckled and said "ah gou 派来的. They gave encouragement to my mom and ended the meet with a prayer. Brother was saying mom was giggling away, trying to laugh. And I commented to my brother "why are your eyes opened? Aren't you suppose to bow your head in prayers as well?" He kept quiet. I bowed but struggled to hear what they were saying - coz' it's in teochew. And I'm thinking "ok.. when is Amen "

Resolution : Perhaps I should try to spend more time with her. I haven't been able to since Aricia came into this world. The only time I have with her is (if) breakfast at the coffeeshop downstairs after I drop Athena in school. Sometimes I'll rush off to gym, then in the evenings most time I'll just pick Athena up from school and leave.
As for going gai-gai, haven't been able to do so since I started giving Aricia her lessons.
Perhaps I should take a step back, stop lesson for one day and bring mom out.

When she was wheeled in, I stayed awhile too, shivering in the room. Trying to take cat nap but can't coz' so cold. I worry if I can stay awake to drive from SGH to Tampines to Punggol. Get ready my already low battery phone just incase I need to call my brother or dad to come rescue me at the expressway.
Anyway, I endured all the way with the music blasting. And I can't sing coz' throat pain but I made sure I was singing the words in my mind, so it keeps me awake.

Back home, Athena is really lucky that mummy is not drilling her. I explained to her that she can play her Logico but she insisted on her train set, so I allowed her and she has to keep it once she's done. I heard some commotion outside, poor helper had to feed Aricia and had to feed the whiny Athena, who keeps shouting "nobody take care of me, nobody feed me." (She was trying to be a little baby) And then the two children made so much noise, whenever Athena whines Aricia echos. Very noisy but I was too tired; feverish and I don't know what happened next. All I knew was it would be only 5+ close to 6pm when I fell asleep. I woke up at close to 8pm for my dinner, saw the train set has been kept in the bag. Was told Athena kept it by herself. Not much appetite, but saw the teriyaki chicken. Yums took a few despite my sore throat. When I was having my dinner, Athena asked me if she could bring her wan-wan to school etc... then it got more. She tried with her chocolate milk which I refused but hubby said "nevermind, otherwise she never drinks at home." My idea was to dilute the drink for her at home coz' she's already coughing.. I don't want anymore sweets that will aggravate her cough further. Went back to bed, was feeling really tired. Felt bad in neglecting my children especially Aricia who kept looking at me and calling out "ma ma ma ma"

In my drowsiness, I heard some commotions, there was no screaming on the mummy's part so the house is quieter in that aspect. I slept in their room, while Athena gets to sleep with daddy and Aricia with helper. Woah! Relaxed siah! Maybe I should fall sick more often?!?! Around 10+, I heard hubby coming into the room. He was looking for her ventolin puff. Darn! The school forgot to return it back to me. Why? I heard the girl coughing quite badly. In my heart I was thinking, ya lah... still say let her drink the milk. Gave her mucosolvan and I do have spare ventolin and flixotide at home, so hubby helped to give the puffs for me coz' I don't know how it should be done for a direct puff.
Checked through her bag to see what was the final things helper packed in for her trip. She has the wan-wan and a rabbit sweet inside. Milk is not there, KZ said she heard her coughing so quickly took it out.
I gave instructions to KZ to help me give the Ventolin syrup and Flumicil the next morning, just in case I'm still sleeping.

Friday
Hubby was tasked to be the chauffeur. She has a trip to the museum today so she needs to be in school early. Good! I don't have to rush, but I still got up to make sure that she's been given her medicine. Athena was so happy in this rare chance that daddy brings her to school, she was so happy. Once she even came to me to tell me "I want to kiss my mummy goodbye". Aw... so sweet!
Rested at home, bathed and fed Aricia using a mask. She gave me a strange look. Aricia Aricia ....很有性格 ! She can throw tantrum at her tender age. Oh my! Quite cute to look at.