Sunday, May 20, 2007

I worry

I worry so much for Athena, one who is so niang-niang-qiang.

I worry if she'll get bullied in school next time, with cases of students ganging up to bully one increasing recently. I can't help but worry if she'll come back not only battered outside but emotionally.

I worry about her future, if she'll make it big in the working world. My dreams of her being a professional may well be .. (ahem) unrealistic dreams on my part. Her personality is one that is easily satisfied in life. Anyone she sets her eyes on, she'll marry that person.

I worry that if she's so weak emotionally, she may get bullied by her colleagues and worst!- her husband.

I worry, I worry.

It's not that I worry unduly but my dear Athena really is very ....

Let's take a look at what is happening right now?
She does her writing and drawing quickly and carelessly. I have mentioned about Athena having problem in following dotted lines when doing her writing. How is it so? Because she always do it fast and without proportion. You might say that I'm expecting too much from a 4+ child, but I've seen better handwriting from her peers.
In her Art class yesterday, I asked Mr Lim. He says that she still can't draw her shape right. Give her a few more lessons, it should do.
Infact, I was peeping though the peephole, when I saw how Athena rushed to draw the shape the teacher asked them to do. The girl next to her was doing it slowly and nicely. Then the teacher went around every student and he stopped by Athena, erased everything off (sometimes I really wonder if erasing everything whatever she has done has any detrimental effect on her. I mean when she does her writing, I keep erasing it off for her so many times) and held her hand to draw.

This morning, as usual she'll have to do writing. And I was telling her off from the beginning to the ending. First was commenting on the writing, then commented on her chinese strokes. At one point, I was so mad that I took out the cane. And guess what? She wrote properly?! I told husband "you see, she can write so nice.. good girl." Hubby said "there Athena you can write nicely. Do it nicely." Out came my comments "of course she will do it properly what? Can't you see this?( holding out the cane to him) I'm tapping it on the floor now." He giggled.

I envy some of my friends who commented that their children love to do writing; assesments books after assesments books without their parents asking. As for me, I've got a very playful child who needs pushing from me.
Sometimes I wonder if my efforts will go down to waste.
Is there any help out there where I can approach??

I am going to make her daily schedule even more tight now. She leaves me no choice, I have to include writing for her everyday. Too bad if she can't watch her Mr Bean; too bad if she can't watch any other TV programme.
I remembered I bought this quite some time back for her. It's time to re-use it again. Isn't it ironic that I'm bringing it out for her, when I should be giving it to Aricia?? Put it in the car and make her practice practice practice.



No comments: