Saturday, December 30, 2006

Japanese Food

Athena has asked to dine at Sakae again, so we met brother, Pauline & mom for lunch at TM.

And that set me thinking... I've tried making Sushi, Katsu-don & Katsu curry before (not forgetting a funny tasting Green Tea ice-cream) so I think I should try my culinary skills again? Haha! Not when I made everyone scared to eat my cooking. I must admit I'm a horrible cook, but I was pleased when my Japanese cooking all turned out presentable & won't die from eating.

I 'm suddenly so inspired to make Athena's favourite items in Sakae :


Chawanmushi
Salmon Skin gunkan (where to find so many salmon skin when we don't even eat salmon?)
Kakiage
Udon
........................................................................................
Chawanmushi
I know Knorr came up with the recipe that was given in NTUCs but the lady let me try.. and it's damn saltish. I'm already worrying if I'm getting diabetes and here is one lady trying to kill me by spoiling my kidneys?!?
Mom (the expert cook) says she tried before but it's difficult to control the fire, and her chawanmushi turned out funny -let alone me attempting this on my own. Umm.... think it might end up in the bin.

Ingredients:
* 3 eggs
* 2 3/4 cups cooled soup stock [chicken stock + fish-based stock (powdered or liquid form acceptable) + dash of sake and soy sauce]
* 4 slices of gu (filling, such as fishcake, shiitake mushroom, or chicken breast, parboiled)
* 4 cilantro leaves (also known as chinese parsley)

Servings: 4 persons
Directions

1. Gently beat the eggs using a fork or chopsticks, not an eggbeater.

2. Add soup stock a little at a time while you stir the eggs. It can be lukewarm but not hot.

3. Place a slice of the gu in each cup, and pour in the mixture of egg and soup stock.

4. Place a cilantro leaf on top.

5. Boil water in a steamer, and turn the heat down to medium.

6. Place the cups in the steamer, and steam for approximately 12 minutes.

Try not to overcook; good chawan-mushi shouldn't have any air bubbles.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Salmon Skin gunkan
This one is simple, but I need to find salmon skin to deep fry

Kakiage
This one should be simple since can buy the batter from supermarkets.

Udon
Simple! Like cooking instant noodle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yay! I'm on my way to be a cook now!!

No comments: