Thursday, January 4, 2007

Me, my breasts & my Mom

Yah, just in case you might think this is going to be a RA entry, do not worry.

IGNORANCE NO. 1
Mom saw me eating ice-cream today and then as usual (trying to tell me not to eat cold things) told me "maybe eating cold things cut down your milk supply?" Huh? she's like practically finding 'cold stuffs' as an excuse to anything. Told her I had pain in my back, she said it's because I eat something cold. ??!!!

IGNORANCE NO. 2
Ai yoh! I can't believe my mom when she said this about the decrease in milk supply due to consuming cold food. And she has even made this remark "our family, all the ladies got no milk one.." Did explained that it's not that, everyone has sufficient milk for their child. And it's Demand = Supply. If not, can she explain to me how my milk came in so fast in the hospital ? That even the LC was surprised that amongst the lots of fat ladies attending the Breastfeeding class the smallest sized me got milk going fast & first. Oh man! And to think I stopped it. Sometimes if I can turn back the clock, I would have persisted and probably now donating excess milk to the Milk Bank.

IGNORANCE NO. 3
First time I breastfeed Aricia in hospital, mom passed Aricia to me and then she stood there (not that I mind) and worst - move her head forward to see how I put her to breast - until I cannot see. Just imagine this scenerio, my mom wears spectacles and her eyes is a little big and she opened her eyes even bigger to see; mouth a little opened in response to the eyes. She wants to see how Aricia drinks and kept asking me "is she drinking? Oh she's drinking?" - even before I can reply her.

IGNORANCE NO. 4
Everytime I want to feed Aricia, and she's the one passing Aricia to me (be it in hospital or home) she'd face my poor girl's face infront of my breasts- even before I can unbuttoned the flap - and say "nah!" And still preparing myself while adjusting myself, she'll try to help me put her to breasts, thinking asking her to drink is simple.

WHY IGNORANCE??
I ever asked mom if I've latched her properly in the hospital when the staff nurse was not around, I wanted to try without their help. And she said she don't know." Huh? You have 3 children what! You mean you never breastfeed us meh?" "Ai yoh, that time give birth C-class already kena scolding for screaming in pain during labour. Nurses will crudely tell you, then when you and your husband make love not pain lah! Give birth make so much noise!! You think they can be bothered to teach you how to breastfeed??

Umm..........so there is my story of Me, my breasts & my Mom!!

No comments: