Saturday, November 25, 2023

Roselle hawthorn drink - prepared by Ms Thermie

The day before was looking for dried longan for next project with Ms Thermie in the vegetables compartment and saw dried roselle and hawthorn and …how come I have 3 packs of rock sugar (2 unopened packs + some leftovers)? 

It's about time I boil roselle. I tend to forget I have that if not I would have rotated boiling chrysanthenum and this. Roselle is also thought to have cooling effects.

Benefits of roselle :
1) Menstrual pain
2) Anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties
3) Aids digestion
4) Weight loss 
5) Antidepressant properties
6) Anti-cancer properties
7) Cough, colds and fever management
8) Blood pressure management
9) Protects liver
10) Healthy pregnancy

Benefits of hawthown :
1) Protect against heart diseases
2) Control high blood pressure and high cholesterol


Roselle drink is something that can be cooked over the stove but I decided to use Ms Thermie so looked for a recipe online as I used to eyeball the amt of roselle flowers. 

Recipe from her website 

Ingredients:

35g Dried Roselle
2000g Water
150g Rock Sugar

Preparation:

1) Put in dried Roselle flowers and water to boil
     20 min / 100℃ / Reversed / speed 2  
     I don't use mc in this boiling process.

2) Add rock sugar to stir
     5 min / Reversed / speed 2

3) Fix in simmering basket to strain away pulps. Serve hot or cold.

Another version ( I use this method often )

1) Insert simmering basket, put in dried Roselle petals, add in water to boil
    20 min / 100℃ / speed 3

2) Add rock sugar
    10 min / speed 3 
    (It doesn't really need that long time, I just leave it keep spinning to help cool down temperature) 

3) Remove simmering basket with spatula. Serve hot or cold.


I used the first version and added some hawthorn, eyeballed the amount to put in so didn’t measure. 
Instead of using rock sugar, I added my sweetener (It has that siap siap taste and don’t think lil’ one will like it so I added another 40g. So in total it’s 190g sweetener) so I can drink guilt-free. 

Love to look at Ms Thermie swirling the ingredients inside. The best thing is I know it’s set for 20mins to cook, so I can take my time to shower without worrying that liquid will overflow from my pot if I had boiled it using the stove. 

Oops! Sometimes small little splatters do happen. 

My roselle drink reminds me of Glühwein. Ahh......I miss Christmas markets   

I don't understand why my drink is so dark in colour as compared to the author's drink. 
Putting them into this container, once cooled will put it in a fridge. I love to drink mine cold.  

Dried roselle to the left and dried hawthorn to the right. I'm trying to think why the drinks outside all taste so nice? They're also lighter in colour. Maybe they put lesser roselle and hawthorn and lots of sugar? 


No comments: