Saturday, October 20, 2007

Could this have been avoided?

Somehow things always happen for a reason, I feel. But in this case of what my little girl went through (though she definitely has no recollection) and a little trauma on my part, perhaps it shouldn't have happened this way.

Could this have been avoided? But if I had 'walked in another path' - treated her signs differently I wouldn't have known that febrile fits can happen to anyone. Anyone so close, my own flesh and blood. And perhaps I wouldn't take her fever for granted next time and treat it asap.

Mistakes! Mistakes!
1) took the first fever at 4+pm for granted.
2) didn't sponge long enough at 9+pm
3) when 1st fits occured (I didn't know it was fits coz' I was not there), should have stayed longer to monitor her. We did sponging for her perhaps it was not enough or.. perhaps we shouldn't even sponge her at all after that??
4) KZ shouldn't have covered her, giving her that sudden increase in temperature again
5) after 2nd fits, apparently 2hours later, KZ then told me she had another similar incident. At that time still no thermometer to take proper temperature but I think I could have given her a dose of panadol before going to the doctor
6) while waiting for the doctor, felt her temperature going up. Went to buy her the fever sticky pad and put one on her forehead. If I had attempted to sponge her body to keep the rests of the body down

I've checked with them on how to manage it. Think I'm more prepared next time (choy!)
Things I should do:
1) I should have a contigency plan on the nearest doctor to go to. Need to find out all their opening hours so that I can zoom to the available one.
2) Put a chart on our fridge so that KZ or me can take note of medicine fever & actions taken written down

No comments: