Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Day That Was To Be....

full of fun for the kids, noise and mess in the house turned out to be a day of frenzy for us. And in a quiet way too! Although the cookies have been laid on the table (packed individually) waiting for the children to fill in colours, other things prepared, food & drinks bought, fridge and freezer 100% full. All we had was an empty house...
Unfortunately, I had to cancel the playdate at last minute (11+am) and called up Angeline and Jasmine to inform them. I couldn't contact Hiroe coz' I could have stored in the wrong number in my phone.
Perhaps God had been hinting to me that this time round wasn't a suitable time? Last Tuesday when I fell sick, I told Wilma that I had to get myself well soon so that it will go on. And day by day I'm glad when I got better and better. I told her "it'll be a 'spoil mood' if I, the organiser, had to cancel it. I know I can "dong" the time but I wouldn't want to spread to the kids if I was infectious, know what I mean?


Then yesterday (15th), prior to leaving house to pick Athena up from school. Aricia felt hot. And it was like a sudden thing, she didn't have any diarrhoea or what. So I thought it was teething. Nevertheless, I gave her Paracetamol before leaving the house with her. She was back to normal, so I thought "okay, false alarm." Playing and dancing about then at 9+pm, the fever came back. This time round I gave her Ibrufen (** tips : If a child's fever is above 38 deg celcius, it's best to rotate between Paracetamol & Ibrufen) and did a little of sponging on her. I thought if her fever persist the next day, I will either have to cancel it or go ahead with it but will isolate her in the room with KZ.


At 4+am, KZ woke us up describing to us "stomach pop one sound then she hand hard." At that time, it didn't dawn upon me. I thought she looked normal and stayed on to sponge her a little. I told her I'll bring her back to my room to sleep with us but KZ assured me that she can take care of her. I went back to bed, but jumping out again in 20 minutes time to see her. This time round I was surprised to see her covered with a blanket and worst still - the fan turned off. KZ's reason was "Aricia was shivering", I turned back on the fan. I touched her, she felt warm and she had given her Paracetamol at 3+am, so it'll take some time for the temperature to go down. Told myself to wake up to be the first patient (8.30am) in Dr Lee.

But was too tired and Zzzzz.
Apparently I woke up at 8+ and KZ told me there was another episode at 6am. She didn't knock our door but called out to us but we were fast asleep. I left the house at 9.10am, she felt warm and I didn't want to take any chances with my little girl. Somehow in my mind, I'm thinking if it's an unwarranted visit since it'll be the same medications given but perhaps God was hinting to me " Go with your heart". Instead of Dr Lee, which will take ages to see her (Dr Tan will take century)I decided to go to the normal GP-Dr Tan- at Punggol Plaza. I waited for almost an hour just to see him. Had to wait but still better than waiting at the other 2 clinics.
During the wait, I decided to buy the fever pad to paste on her head, it feels hotter. And also I fed Aricia some bread, it was then I noticed she didn't have much strength on her legs. Normally on the kiddy ride, she'll stand up but this time round she didn't want and when I
stood her up, she was shivering.
At the clinic, I was describing to Dr Tan what KZ had told me, I had a blurry idea of what KZ what telling me. But when he asked me about her temperatures, my answer was : "I did use the thermometer to measure her but it always came up to 37.8, 37.6. Never once reading 38 so I thought if there's something wrong with the thermometer. So, since 4+am I had been using my hands to feel. Based on experience and intuition, it tells me that her fever is higher or lower. Well, I can't blame if my stupid CADI thermometer decided to malfunction at this time. Anyway he told me it's not good getting a forehead and ear thermometer all-in-one, not reliable.
He took her temperature and it was at a skyrock high of 39. OMG! I asked if he's going to give her suppository to bring down the fever and he was taking it from his box. Just then, I was carrying her and she started shivering. I started calling out Aricia and the doctor turned around to me.
Goash! What I next saw was the most terrifying thing a mother can see happening to her own flesh and blood. Aricia was having fits, just then it dawned upon me that Aricia had been having fits at home twice! "Thanks" to KZ's English which left me puzzled!! At that time what she described to me was "hand hard, I call her she never respond, leg hard." She had left out the part about her "eyes looking up or salivating"

And I was relieved that she was okay after 2 fits at home.I mean how dangerous can that be? Irresponsible mummy!
In all, 3 fits in a span of 8 hours! It freaked me out, it made me sad to see my girl suddenly not responding to me, I was terrified seeing her turning pink to blue. How can this thing happen to a tiny baby??

Had to immediately go to KKH, I had to make quick calls to Jasmine and Angeline and did it in an abrupt way (hope I didn't sound rude) coz' this morning I noticed my battery was low, needed to conserve as much battery since I dunno how long I will be in KKH
The rests of it will be posted in the next entry. Now I am back home to pack my clothes to stay with my baby. Hubby needed to clear some work also, which leaves me time to rip a few of her music albums into my laptop and post this down.

Something for your read :

Febrile Fits

If your child's temperature suddenly soars — for example, from 102 to 105 degrees F (38.88 to 40.5 degrees C), he may have a seizure.
In most cases, these "febrile seizures," as doctors call them, are harmless, but that doesn't make it any less terrifying for you while he's having one. There most common in children under 5. If your child has such a seizure — breathing heavily, drooling, turning blue, rolling back his eyes, or shaking his arms and legs uncontrollably — quickly place him on his back or side, away from hard objects.
Turn his head gently to one side so vomit or saliva can drain easily. Make sure he doesn't have anything in his mouth, and don't put anything in his mouth while the seizure lasts.
After it's over, you can carefully wipe away any vomit with a washcloth. Try to remember to note how long the seizure lasts — it's likely to be between 10 seconds and three or four minutes.
When the seizure subsides, make your child more comfortable — and, possibly, prevent another attack — by trying to lower his temperature. Remove his clothing and sponge him with lukewarm water. If he's able to keep it down, give him some water, a children's electrolyte solution, or juice. An appropriate dose of acetaminophen or ibuprofen may help, too. Even if the seizure was mild or lasted only a matter of seconds, make an immediate appointment with your doctor to rule out conditions such as meningitis. If your child started turning blue during the seizure, had convulsions that lasted for more than a few minutes, has trouble breathing after the seizure has passed, or is still drowsy or lethargic an hour later, call 911 or go to an emergency facility.
From KKH
From NHS Direct

No comments: