Friday, July 4, 2008

New term & frustrated

Not a good way to start Aricia's new term. I'm getting so aggitated and my patience has run out, although I must admit she did well last term. Don't know if it's because of the term break that's why Aricia's clingy to me.
Sensei Mei Ling asks "Aricia, can you tell teacher who is in the ocean? (shows picture of octopus and whale)"
Aricia : "ma mee............."

In the previous term report by sensei Sheryl (Jan - Mar), she mentioned 6 ways to view my child so that she can enjoy her lessons weekly and show positive responses to class activities :
1) Don't look at weak points / shortcomings
2) Don't look at the present form as the completed form. Look at it as it is being in the process
3) Don't be a perfectionist
4) Don't compare. Every child has a potential to be number 1
5) Don't put priority in academic achievement
6) Learn to see the child as perfect and just as she is

Honestly, I was so touched to see that additional small note in a post-it-pad. It gives me the encouragement to go on. And so, I was rather pleased with her 4th term, though naughty but not that bad. But...perhaps my 'circuit was tripped' again today when she displayed her restless-ness. And what made me 'burn out' eventually was the fact that she refused to listen to me when I was pointing to her where she should paste the cards, refused to do it insisted on her way; made noise and if I pull it away she'll throw it down on the floor. And then there's no way you can coax her to do anything after that. I've been tolerating her behaviour from home to class to home. Very tiring leh!
I can never expect her to be a perfectionist, not myself too! I only try my best to do things and try to make it perfect but it's never perfect. How do you define perfect anyway? How do you benchmark perfect? But my only expectation from her is to listen and let me hold her hand & guide her. (she refuses) I can only turn to look at her classmates - how their mummies don't have to struggle and their children listens. I don't think it's because they're in preschool that makes them behave this way, and coz' my girl is not in any school now so she's acting so barbaric. But it boils down to a child's behaviour and sadly although my girl is smart / absorbing things but she has to fight with me & by then I've lost all patience (suay! 2 kids to make me lose patience) & my smiles. Sometimes, certain things are left untouched after that. So how am I suppose to teach her? Do in another material/method? As it is I've been going on with 3 hours sleep, I don't think I need extra stress on myself/ total lack of sleep doing double job.

And oh yes.... I almost forgot this. Term 4 report was definitely better and for the suggestions for improvement was :
1) play more language games, such as book reading, with her
2) be more descriptive to her
3) encourage her to repeat the words after you
However I really have problems with book reading with her, it's said that we should be cuddling our child and read to them to feel the bond blah blah blah.... not true in my Ari's case. She's a weird girl, I have fights with her over the books, she'll be trying to flip the pages ahead and I either try to flip back the page or can't and .... no bond with the child. How to bond when we fight?? Haha! Mind you, this is the problem I face now in Speed Reading. She'll scream "share share!" making noise in class disturbing the others.
So you know, since Day 1 I know her style. I have to (sadly) sit her in her highchair to read her books and then another time to do her daily home sessions. She now associates her highchair to 'du shu'. Perhaps next lesson, I should try to bring up to sensei to try to help me hold the book instead and test it out. ?? Troublesome for her? Think will try, will have to put a note in the Observation Book lest I forgot all about it.

Ai yoh... how is it that Ari can't let me hold her hand and guide or listen to my instructions?? I know I've said this in the first half of this blog. The only thing that I compare now (for her age... aha! wait till she's of school-going age I'll really be comparing results etc..) is "why, why, why my child can't sit still and let me guide her??" Why is my life so suay?
Sometimes I just feel like giving up. I'm really tired. I mean if I sacrificed my sleep/time, I kindda expect my child to listen to me right? Is it a very high expectation? Perhaps when she starts school next year, I'll stop? But on the other hand I can't bear to end it coz' it's really interesting.

I really don't know, I'm feeling shitty now.I'm feeling all my efforts are wasted, I could have just used my time to scrub and make my face look nice & flawless with my beautician; I could have spend my leisurely time reading books at home or in a nice cafe with my MP4 player. This entry sounds so negative. I really hope she changes for the better and it's only the "first day of school syndrome" for her today.

2 comments:

Shannon's Mummy said...

*hugs* maybe you are stressing yourself too much??

Lily Ann said...

Stress is one thing, but seeing how Ari behaves urks me. Why can't she be like other kids?