Friday, March 10, 2006

Day Out With Kid In Tow

Enjoying her chawanmushi (actually this tastes better than Sakae)
KookyArt & Isabella & hubby
Photo taken by Canon staff with compliments
(I think the colour is too yellow)
Couldn't wait to eat her second piece
Decided to let my girl skip school today and next Friday too (school holiday).
We both slept until 9plus in the morning, took things slowly and prepared her breakfast for her; showered her. After which we left for the Baby Fair in Singapore Expo. We arrived there at 12plus and I was getting hungry so we popped by at a Food Court. We were lucky to secure a seat fast and boy did I regret sitting inside - it seems that the open area had wind blowing while we were inside the Food Court with minimal aircon. Girl was so happy to be gai-gai-ing that she started waving to every aunties and uncles walking pass us; to those who were sitting outside.(we were seated by the glass panel)
Was a little disappointed that the fair was not really suitable for me, although got baby.. but what I really need is a stroller. Did drop by and find out more about educational CD software from Galaxy. They offer the whole range of English, Maths, Chinese and GKnowledge (I'm usually more interested in education stuff more than anything) at a price of $4800++. I did notice Athena was very good with the computer and she could respond to it, lady was praising that she's smart for her age. But then the lady kept pressing me to buy or to commit to buy. I did tell her nicely that I need to speak to Finance Manager (thinking it'll put her off) but nevertheless she was quite persistent; asked her colleague for an Order Invoice - which then I told her I'm not buying anything today. I want to compare with the many softwares out there.
Sometimes being too tactful won't get into the minds of stupid/persistent people.I was a little frustrated and thank her for her time in explaining to me the things which I wanted to find out. But as a consumer I have the right to choose what I want to buy.Then she started saying that "we are the only one.." I snapped her "yes, many people tell me this. When I told you my girl is on Glenn Doman, you were ready to critize that flashcards didn't help - which I must say it did help my girl." "Never mind, if you want to try out, we let you try out the English first. We guarantee you within 3 months you will come back to buy the whole series." "Yes, and that's $1000+++. Problem with kids you know.. they find it interesting now they play. Once you buy back home they don't like it then what am I going to do with it?"
Strange thing also, consultants always like to flip to pages of newspaper articles praising their products; then flip to show me the Order Invoice - Nanyang Girl's and dunno what other elite schools bought the program (and I remember Grolier also showed me Nanyang Girl's bought their products as well...)
To keep the whole story short, I was persistent she was persistent but I still have the choice FULL STOP.
Walked around and was happy to see NewBaby - catering for Confinement Food. Guy was helpful in explaining that I can tell them what I don't eat so they'll substitute to something else.
Left the Hall and was pleasantly surprised to bump into Angeline (we used to fly together and my sightseeing kaki). At this time Athena and Alexandra (her girl) were asleep.. otherwise I think Athena would love to bully her again. Haha! That girl...... We chatted and then went our separate ways.
BookFest was just next door, it seemed threatening to me coz' it seems like it's a Chinese BookFair when I looked in from the entrance (my Chinese is half past six) but anyway since I have the time I decided to walk around. Popular took up a big section of it and I decided to see the assesment books. Yes! This mother is crazy.. assesment books for Nursery. They were on offer so I grabbed 9. Anyway, I've told so many people that I'm into educational stuffs for kids so now you should all believe me. I stock on Richard Scarry's; Infocomm CDs; Chinese Hanyu CD.
Left the Hall was contemplating where I should go- Starbucks or head to the car. Then somehow girl got up when we were near the bouncy castles and some game area. She must have got some sixth sense. Asked her if she wanted to go, said yes. Brought her out.. It's $5 for 30 minutes, then asked her where she wants to go. "I want that balloon balloon one.." No way am I going to spend $5 for something which I can do at home; blow up the balloons and let her throw around (just that over there they pump in air so the balloon is floating around inside and the kids play inside). Told her you either go bouncy castle or we leave. She didn't look too disappointed though and said "we go". So off we went towards Suntec.
At 3plus, I'm surprised that the carpark is full - probably with the IT Fair (but don't people have to work??) So went to park in Raffles City instead. Girl wanted to eat at Sakae (coz she saw the froggie) near the ERP gantry-Suntec.Initially wanted to walk to Suntec but it's not easy with the flight of steps I need to climb up and down from the building with Citibank with the girl and stroller. I told her we can't go there but brought her to another Jap restaurant in B1 of Raffles City. She had her Chawanmushi and I was craving for my Futomaki.Left the place satisfied.
We walked to Marina Square instead. We had fun time- with me pinching her buttocks and she running away from me in Citilink. That place was noisy enough but her laughter was loud enough to be heard-people turned to look at her.I was lost in Marina Sq, saw this Hokkaido Ice-cream parlour..........makes me think of the many ice-creams I had while I was in Japan and how I'd savour each flavour like a young kid.Was rather full but told the lady I will come back later.
We saw the Young Parents corner, checked out the goodies for their subscription. Nah! Nothing interesting.. anyway I can't remember when my subscription with them expires.So will consider whether to subscribe again next time. There was an area taken by Kooky Art - $12 to paint 5 cookies. She wanted to do it so I decided to let her have some fun. They thought she was a very neat kid; coz she coloured inside the line and was doing it very slowly. " Kids at this age don't colour inside line, and she can do it,"says Diana. Two other older kids were also colouring their cookies. Wow! I don't know how long we were there but the other 2 kids left and she was still doing her 3rd piece. Was chatting with Isabella (boss),her husband and Diana like old friends. Talked about so many things.. schools; enrichment classes. Anyway, she spoilt one piece of her cookie and Isabella was so nice to let her have another piece. So in total she had 6 pieces. She couldn't wait to eat the spoilt cookies.. We left at 6.15pm (and not after that girl helped them clean the table - they were impressed by her cleanliness) and she started eating the 2nd piece. We had our dinner at the Food Court and we left for home at 9pm.
What a day!

No comments: