Sunday, September 24, 2006

Back to basics

It's back to basics after staying an additional day in the hospital, as I had fevers for 2 nights. My gynae couldn't explain the fever. He said it could be due to milk coming-in, urine or scar infection. And I had highlighted to them after some time that I am immuned to the antibiotics that they had been giving to me. (actually it was by accident that one time, they gave it to me with the tab. I brought it up to them after that. My gynae quickly changed the antibiotics.)
Anyway we came back home and suddenly our house is filled with baby stuffs again. We thought we had forgotten the basics but nope!- it was second nature to us with a little rusti-ness and chorlor-ness.
Aricia, on my discharge day yesterday, blood test showed her jaundice level is high. Dr Siva asked if we wanted her to stay for additional 3 nights or to rent the photolight equipment home. We chose to rent the equipment as we did not want to crazily go to the hospital (when I'm supposed to be resting) to breastfeed the child. I'm wondering why in the first place, he didn't put her under the light after she was born. As for Athena's case, maybe the PD at that time was more experienced, immediately put her under the light. And insisted on breastfeeding with formula. While I'm glad that Dr Siva is very supportive of me doing a total breastfeeding.

I must admit when it comes to breastfeeding, I'm really blur. But I'm glad that Guat Choo and Mrs Yeo (lactation consultants) and all the nurses were so patient with me. I can't latch her on properly, resulting in pain in nipples when she sucks. And these people just came to my rescue. They helped me and even guide me when I did it on my own with them looking on. But I'm glad now my milk flow is good (which is considered quite fast) - the only tiring part is that she comes to me every 3 hours or so, depriving me of my sleep. Even if my feverish nights, the nurses asked if I wanted to formula feed, I insisted my way. Now at home, she only likes me coz' of my milk. Even when they try to spoon-feed, she refuses. Darn! the milk go to waste! But then again, there's the pros & cons in everything.

You know I haven't really cried until a day or 2 later when I was carrying Aricia. With Athena, I cried the moment I saw her in my room. With Aricia, I think, I was overwhelmed by the anethesia (even now I'm still feeling numb) that I only teared on one night when she was crying & crying. I pacified her and started singing one of Athena's music lesson song - and she immediately kept quiet & looked at me. Sang another song for her and she smiled at me. And - I saw dimple! Now we're betting who's prettier - Athena or her.

But I must admit, I am very proud of Athena. She's doing well as a big sister. (And I do feel bad for neglecting her now. But when I can, I'll ask her to sit next to me, and hug her.) Although, she told me to "wait a few more days" but when we were going to hospital. She was responsible in carrying Aricia's gift and chocolates. And in the hospital, she kept asking me "mummy, you say we go and see mei-mei. But where is mei-mei?" The adults around us start laughing at her cute remark.
When Aricia's born, on the first day, she refused to leave me and Aricia. And pushed everyone away when they wanted to touch Aricia. It was only after some time, she'll allow. You should see her expression when mom lied to her about Wilma "bought the flowers for mummy in exchange for Aricia". When she got home that first night, she called me and asked "mummy, is Aricia with you? That pink colour aunty never bring Aricia home?" So cute.... It was a good thing that I let her skip school for last week and this coming week, so that she won't feel neglected. She came to the hospital very happy every day and would be so excited to see her little sister.
At home, she's so helpful. Such a little darling!

More photos and updates will be posted once I'm more settled.

2 comments:

CheekyMonster's Mommy said...

CONGRATS LILY!!!!! i din know tt u had popped until Ros sms me!!

Aiyoooo, she's such an angelic looking bb!!! will check back here to see latest post ya :)


u muz rest more, take care gal :)

Lily Ann said...

Thanks!

All babies look angelic until they start opening their mouth.

U must jia-you.