Tuesday, January 20, 2009

CNY Baking 2

Tried mom's 'estimated measurement' kueh bangkit. Guess how good is her estimation - 两粒 coconut. And when I asked her how big is it?? The answer I get is 你自己看. Never mind, I am prepared for disaster.

Mistake 1 : I was too distracted by the children making too much noise at home that I continued pouring the coconut into the mixture and then it gets too liquidy. Argh! I thought mom used alot of coconut coz' she always tell me she never stinge on ingredients to get good taste *blah blah*.... So I had to re-fry another portion of flour. Frying the flour was easier than I thought, but with this 'hair ka hair qiu (in dialect) tor qui (left handed)' girl who hardly lifts a ladle to cook... I get flour on the stove area, table top etc.. so probably the flour proportion is wrong already.Hee! Don't laugh... anyway I think you would if you were present.

Mistake 2 : Just couldn't get that pandan taste in the flour. Mom thought I put in too little pandan leaves, but I put in alot. Maybe mom fried the whole pot of pandan in last time? And she didn't want me to surpass her skills?????

My disastrous work using the cutters meant for bento-ing

With the first tray successful in looks, so-so in taste (no pandan taste) despite me tweaking mom's recipe. I went on doing Pooh and HK for the children.






I still have around 220g of flour left, I will try again coz' I'm so close to getting the smell (I think). Texture wise it's the same.

成功 or 失败 ?

half 成功


No comments: