Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Emotional & rubbish talk

I was surprised when I received 2 calls from S (J's mummy) and 2 "mummy, nobody there" messages. Called her back almost an hour later.

When I checked with S on J's sudden desire to call and talk to A today, she said she was getting emotional after watching the graduation video. And she bugged her mummy to call almost everyone in her class.

Funny to hear the 2 of them talking on Tuesday night (when I thought they could have chatted tomorrow, which is today before their music lesson), I have one monosyllabic girl who didn't seem eager to talk coz' she was probably fed-up with her mei-mei prior to the call.Well, at least J is highly EQ. I worry about A, she has slight traits from her daddy.

We all know that bringing up children is not only on feeding and changing diapers. Like every parent, I want my child to grow up to be a smart child (in all areas - IQ, EQ, CQ and dunno what other Qs). Naturally I nag at her more often. I have been helping her to bring her friendship with all her friends closer by organising playdates, suggested to her to buy something for her buddy for her help. At least now, she has an older friend in school. I am not finding excuses for her indifferent attitude when she picked up the phone, I hope it's the reason stated above and not coz' she's insensitive. Well, at least I know J is highly EQ.

That reminded me what happened to my girl on Sunday. She woke up from the wrong side of the bed and was sulking at everything, locked herself in the room, lie down on the floor and throwing tantrums. Very emotional
She went on doing that for the next 7-8hrs and I ignored her.And next minute I knew she got tired from sulking the whole time and fell asleep on the floor, with her legs sticking up and her lying on her tummy. Wah.............

And then I have another emotional younger girl, whom I didn't bade a proper goodbye before leaving the house. After I went out, she turned to look at KZ (all these are by KZ) and said "mummy bye bye....(pause) Ah Yet (runs to phone) call mummy.......mummy bye bye..call call phone........(bursts out crying inconsolable).
I was sad to hear about that but happy too that she missed me

Loves school
Keeps talking about her classmates to me; keeps singing her school song (which I kept correcting her the words and she keeps insisting that she's correct) wrongly; keeps singing hymns until she got so confused with the song "Shine Jesus Shine", she started singing "Fly Jesus Fly" - I burst out laughing while driving. And the funny thing is she was trying to make the sign of the cross "In the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" - she got all her words jumbled up and funnier, she "tok tok" her fingers everywhere (like Chinese martial arts freeze/still action they show on TV) with her left hand???
I'm going to leave that correction job to SIL

Loves to do assessment books
Can you believe it? I was in Popular looking at books and she asked me to get her more books to do. Good to hear that she love to do assessment books but ........ there's a limit to it and I'm the one who sets the limit.(Ha!)

I can leave her alone to do her Chinese assessment books, seems like she's stronger in Chinese (of course lah! Attends Berries). So, on days when she's unsupervised (eg. Mondays and Thursdays), I can leave her alone.
English? Depends on which book she's doing. If she's doing Composition & Comprehension, she does need help sometimes.
Maths? Although I keep harping on her "18-12 = 12" silly mistake, I think she's quite alright with her Maths (but of course must admit when I see the silly mistakes she makes, makes me want to strangle her and say "why you didn't pay attention to mummy?") And to think that I've also coached her on the P1 syllabus, which is almost the same as K2's using the WOL books and other materials, I think I can relax this year. (during the Parents' Talk, they mention about parents should try a little with some revision at home for Maths. I looked at hubby and told him "I covered last year so I can take a break this year already.")

Today, she declared to me "Mummy, I love Maths." - which I am happy to hear. Serious! You gotta love Maths to excel in Maths and Maths needs alot of practice. And why am I happy?? Coz' yours truly was an A1 student in Maths and Accounts - I was good in figures until I lost my 'figure' now naturally I hope she'll be in the same shoes. But I hope my daughters will be far more successful than I am - better don't be a lazy bummer like me.


Parents' Talk
At the Parents' Talk last Friday, had a better understanding of the various subjects' syllabus. And I don't even know what small flashcards they're talking about for Chinese. I don't have that! But maybe my GD cards are far much better. Hmm......logged to check on the titles and will check with Popular tomorrow. I have this urge of getting her the Higher Chinese textbooks for home use - I think I'm over-dosaging her!
And they have the CL banding after CT1-mock exam in Term 2. 7 classes thereafter for CL .For the best students, the first 2 classes will cover both Core (核心)and Enrichment. (深广) The next group of better students, 4 classes will cover Core (核心) and the weaker students in one class will cover Bridging (导入) and Core (核心). She better be in the best class! Now I'm telling her that she has to study hard to be the Top 3 students. Call me crazy but at least I'm being really honest here.
I think before she goes crazy with the pressure I'm putting on her, I'll go crazy myself.
English - must cultivate good reading habits with her. Imagine me bringing two kids to the library....end up screaming at the two kids; leave the library sore and frustrated.

Bribery
She had always wanted a make-up set, the surprise gift - Hello Kitty make-up- came from me today with the condition that she should not cry when she goes in for her music class. She didn't though acted a little unwilling and kept telling me "to wait for me outside". Ehh........I left for a drink with J. Oh please, I hope I don't end up bribing her every lesson. I'll go really broke + Toothfairy should be 'making her trip soon'.
Heng ah....I'm so worried if she'll cry. Mr Cane gets to stay where he is (hanging by the window grilles)
Brace myself for tomorrow, as I try to make some slight adjustments so she won't C-R-Y

No comments: