Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Rainbow

One of the games I'm doing for Aricia is rainbow. Teaching her the colours of the rainbow as well as let her put the colour accordingly (using velcro).

All I wanted was a picture of a nice rainbow. And you know the moment you key in 'rainbow' on the search engine, everything came out.

I knew the colours of the rainbow - eh... I thought I did. But I got it a little wrong. I remember singing it to this song "red and yellow and pink and blue, purple and orange and green...." So everytime Athena asks me about rainbow I told her the colours but yet whisper the "pink" part, I don't remember seeing pink?!? But you know the mother gotta act like she knows everything right?? Macam act so confident but in actual fact quite doubtful about it myself.

What I found out in the Yahoo Answers is that the children in the US are taught this mnemonic :
Roy G. Biv for memorizing the traditional optical spectrum:

Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Indigo
Violet

Were we taught this??

Something interesting emphasised by the writer :
The colors are arranged in the order of decreasing wavelengths, with red being about 700 nanometers and violet being about 400 nm.

In truth, since the spectrum is a continuum, the selecting or omitting of individual colors in a list of representative colors is arbitrary. The traditional inclusion of the color indigo is attributed to Isaac Newton, who wanted the number of colors in his spectrum to come out to seven to match the number of days in the week, the number of notes in the musical scale, and the number of known planets.[1][2] He originally (1672) named only five primary colors: red, yellow, green, blue and violet; only later did he introduce orange and indigo[3]. The Munsell color system, the first formal color notation system (1905), also uses only five primaries: red, yellow, green, blue and purple.

Another link, click here

Any myths about the rainbow?? I dunno, we've all heard about the pot of gold (obviously I haven't found it. If not I'll be jetting first class around the world now).

I found this on the internet :
In Irish, legend Leprechauns bury pots of gold at the end of the rainbow, but since a rainbow can only be seen at a distance, the gold is forever illusive. In Greek and Roman mythology, Iris the goddess of the rainbow was one of the messengers of the gods. A rainbow is a bridge used by soul boats in Indonesia. The Arabs and the Bantu people of Africa believe the rainbow to be a divine bow for firing arrows. In Christian tradition, the rainbow represents the throne of Christ.

With so much myth and legend associated with a rainbow, it was fitting that a rainbow should illuminate the sky for the people outside Newgrange while the fortunate few inside were experiencing the illumination of the chamber.

Mom said "it's good news when you spot it", I dunno how true is this statement since you can quite easily spot rainbows. In actual fact, I hardly see one. Even at the Niagara Falls, I wasn't that lucky to see a rainbow there. Brother and SIL were so lucky to have it caught on photo, I would have photoshopped my own photos and bluff everyone.Haha!
When only hubby and me did see one on our way out of Yosemite National Park at a small waterfall, mom commented "You two saw it, there's good news for the two of you." Coincident or not? I was already pregnant at that time (of course I wasn't aware of it)

Whatever myths out there, won't you agree with me that seeing it somehow cheers up your day? I would appreciate seeing one soon amidst my mad rush everyday. Meanwhile, this is something for you!
I hope you'll see a rainbow in your heart everyday




3 comments:

Shannon's Mummy said...

You are really a fantastic mother!!! Sometimes I really hate myself for not being such a mother. I am so lazy...opps

3 cheers for you! of course u deserve more...

Lily Ann said...

Hi, did I tag you first or you did? I came across yours about 2 or 3 wks ago and have been reading your blog.

I'm still trying to be a good mother. *hold my temper *

Shannon's Mummy said...

is it? I am not sure either... doesn't matter.. I have been "scuba diving" your blog for some times too.. finally buay tahan, must come out the water and express my admiration on your parenting. ^_^

Glad to know that you are reading my blog... :P