Saturday, July 7, 2007

Parent-Teacher Meeting

PTM's today, since last night Athena had been telling me "mummy, tomorrow you must go to my school to see my work." This morning she told me I had to go to her school first thing in the morning.
She was that excited?! And the most funny thing was......she said she had to "dress nice nice" and kept insisting on wearing the white dress (for violin concert) to school. Had to coax her to wear casual clothes first as I had to bring her for her lessons first, but still she made sure I brought the dress down to the car. And my dear girl had to choose her high heel shoes to match. Sigh....

When we reached her school, she was walking "klick klack klick klack" like dainty girl. When she saw her classmates playing in the playground, she was so happy that she didn't want to eat her lunch and kept staring at her friends.. I asked if she wanted to play, she said yes. My condition was she had to change out from her pretty dress. She agreed and she "klick klack klick klack" back to the car. Funny! She wasn't a demure girl anymore after that......screaming; laughing loud; running; climbing.

PTM
Qiu lao-shi, her chinese teacher, first met us.
Things that she said about her in brief :
- she's attentive in class
- however at times Ms Clanna and herself finds that she's too 'kaki' with Jachelle, Qiu lao-shi did ask if they are in the same music class coz' they keep saying it. I told her the problem not only lies in school, their music teacher also had to ask them to stop talking in class. In Qiu lao-shi's class, she has to make them sit on each end and she can't have them doing work together.
- she's seen improvement in her writing. But still the spatial is not there.. the top strokes are larger and then suddenly she realises no space to write the bottom part, so it becomes small. Or her strokes gets too long. I did tell her I realise she has this problem too, and it goes the same for her drawing. Can't follow drawing well. However she did explain that year end kids writing aint as good as those born in the first part of the year, but at a certain age they'll catch up very fast.
- her recognition of words is good

Ms Clanna
- her writing has improved tremendously since March this year. She's now able to space out her words and write in one line instead of writing her letters all over the place
- she is very helpful and will keep the place tidy while her classmates likes to throw things about in class. I forgot to tell her... "yah, she goes to Ikea playground to help pick up balls" She did mention that she's always so helpful and will offer to help her carry books for her when she saw her struggling with the books. Made me happy to hear her say that.. but I recall back in my primary schooldays, I also like to help teacher carry books (sa-kah teacher) and *gasp* sweep floor and help throw rubbish. Haha! Mebbe she's following in my footsteps??
- she asked if Athena likes to read books at home coz' she always love to go to reading/writing corner. She'd pick up a book and read the book herself.
- she can recognise words. One of the better students in class. *dances around*
- asks if she watches violent cartoons at home coz' the boys in her class are always jumping and misbehaving. I said no, I control what she watches..but I did emphasis that she's easily influenced by her peers so I won't be surprised that she might end up jumping around the class one day. Then she brought up that she notices Athena has been biting her nails in class, I explained she does the same at home and we do tell her off. Then... the next shocking words from her were "and she also lifted her feet up to bite her toenails." Hubby & me opened our eyes bewildered. Oh my! is she going through some distress mentally to be doing this??

No comments: