Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Nappy Rash


Apparently I still have a block nose and didn't know that Aricia had pooed in her diapers (which could explain her frettiness at mom's place earlier). But I didn't understand why they (bro and father) didn't tell me or smell anything....
I tried means to stop her from crying and decided (mother's instinct that it's not her wanting me to carry her but something else) that I had better check her diapers.

When I did, I cleaned and she had little nappy rash.(poor thing) Quickly cleaned her and changed her into the new diapers. Speeded like nobody's business (heng ah...no TP to catch me) back home to shower her and air her bottoms.Could have done it in mom's place but felt horrible after the episode.

More experienced this time round (Athena had more nappy rash), so I knew how to handle this and prevented this on Aricia.

} cleaned her bottoms with water
} applied Hydrocortisone on it. Since it's very very mild, one application is enough
} air her bottoms until she pee-ed on the sofa. KZ was still gleefully teasing her until I told her "who's washing it huh? Carry her.." and I took out the cushion cover and cleaned the cushion with Dettol.

What causes nappy rash?
Nappy rash is a skin inflammation. Most cases are due to a reaction of the skin to urine and motions (faeces). In addition, a germ called Candida commonly thrives on the inflamed skin. (This is the germ that causes thrush.) Candida can cause a more inflamed rash which may include darker red spots spreading around the nappy area ('nappy thrush').

Most nappy rashes are mild or moderate, and are not serious. Occasionally, skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, infections, and some rare skin diseases cause unusual nappy rashes.

Logically thinking.. this is what I'll do?

* show her bum to the world and for the ah-pek in the opposite block to see. This is to let fresh air get to the skin.
* change the nappy often Try not to let the urine and motions in contact with the skin for long periods. Infact, those washable diapers aren't helpful either!
* at home, since I have the basin.. I'll wash her bottom instead of relying on wet tissues.
* make sure the bottom is properly dry before putting on a new nappy. Dry by patting, not by rubbing, with a towel.
* don't use powder such as talcum powder which may irritate the skin and infact if you think or experiment what will happen to powder when you add water to it. So it isn't a barrier method of protecting the skin.
* barrier creams those with zinc oxide helps to protect the skin from moisture. Works better than Drapolene or Johnson's .



1 comment:

ros said...

I jus bought a tube of Drapolene just in case I ever need to use it. Is it good?