Friday, February 2, 2007

In search for schools

I kept asking Athena in disbelieve if she really wanted, and I think my daughter is a little irritated with my constant questioning "yes!mummy..." Its not that I don't want her to learn, anyway it's really strange that she's asking for this, but if she wants it - we'll give it to her. It'll be better than forcing it on her right?

Yesterday since I was in the vicinity, I checked on the first school -Mac's Music School which is by Jenny's recommendation. I was kindda apprehensive in signing her up , as I kept thinking of the distance I have to travel. Somehow, I offered myself some consolation by psycho-ing myself "heng ah.... they don't have any more slots on weekends" when told that weekends are booked and left with Mondays - 3.30pm and 5.30pm, Wednesdays - 5pm. Technically it's only the Monday 5.30pm slot she can go but it'll be a rush- even in my speedy car I doubt I can reach Orchard from Tampines in 20mins (with the mother panting and angry/cursing along the way) Now that she's 5, it's on individual lessons not group and they encourage parents to sit in. Anyway, I'll KIV this school.

2nd school - Sonare Music School at Compass Point. They don't recommend such young age, violin lessons starts at 7yrs old, so no need to ask anymore. I thought it's a little strange coz' usually 6 is the starting age and some will encourage to inculcate the interests in a child when young. But the guy who spoke to me hor...didn't sound professional enough he speaks so AhBeng-ish. And dunno why.. something in my mind just keep telling me to test him. He told me proudly.."we teach by Suzuki method" then I pretended by feigning ignorance, "what is Suzuki?" You know what's his answer? "Oh.. (walked to show me the books) it's this one..." Not answering my question, I asked again. "Suzuki is a brand." - wrong answer! Then asked him the next question on violins,"so how do you all choose the different size violins for children." "We go by the child's height!" Peng-sang... strike off this school! What has height gotta do with selection; logically speaking you play the violin with your hands, so it should be the length of arm! And how comfortable the child can reach the 'fret' (is that what they call for violins as well?) - what? he play with his feet huh?

3rd school - Yamaha Music School only offers Classical violin lesson (but not stated in their website leh..) for .. was it 6 or 7 years old? And no need to bargain the age with them, coz' when I registered her for the Little Notes class already they don't allow, must pass the birthday.

4th school - Getting tired and lazy, called Crestar in Marine Parade, they have a group class starting soon in March.
It's on Tuesdays 6-6.45pm and a few more classes after that, and Fridays 6.30-7.15pm. Okay, I can only make it on Tuesdays as Fridays will be reserved for her swimming lesson. It's still not the weekends! If I opt for this, at least the timing is not so rushed but.. I gotta think for the long run now. Ideally it'll be a good place for her to pop by for lessons after her school (primary school). But thing is, is her school in morning or afternoon session? If it's morning session, then abit stupid to go back home and go back same area right??
Crestar in Hougang - closest to home. Kelvin will call me to advise me but he did tell me they don't have group classes and no parents allowed inside. Huh? He was friendly with me throughout our conversation. Anyway I asked him, is it okay to check with the teacher? Then he said "when they grow up, they go in alone what!" " Yes I know it will be individual classes in the future - the parents sit in also a hindrance. But I thought at least for the first year or maybe shorter let the parent sit in to observe so that I can reinforce at home." Oh my goash! I dunno what deep-shit I'm giving myself - I can't play the violin how to coach her? I remember he did mention something like "the child may not like it if the parent is in the class." I did explain that currently she's a student in Yamaha and that she's used to my being in her class. But don't worry when it's time for me to stay out of the class, I will! (I also prefer to go and relax & do my own things while waiting for her)
So, now I'm waiting for his phonecall.. and the blind me just realised they have Speech & Drama as well. So if I can get her into this school will be better!

I dunno where else to approach. Cristofori - Athena don't meet the age requirements also.

Sigh... I don't have to go through so much trouble when enrolling Athena for her music lessons earlier. Perhaps at that time, I had already set my mind to continue the family legacy in Yamaha. Haha! Not like the mother can play the Electone well.

No comments: