Thursday, December 20, 2007

Our trip

I didn't want to come back coz' it means my hectic life will start again. Athena didn't want to come back too, coz' she was relieved that "there is no more typhoon" (she was still whining over that- "typhoon in Taipei" - last Friday morning) and she didn't have to go to school but play and play.

Holiday was so-so, we had 1 1/2 free time on our own which we didn't do much. Wanted to take the cable car - Maokong but it closes on all Mondays. We only knew that when we were at the station. In the end, we only went to the Zoo - didn't cover much coz' it was bloody hot! Then went to Taipei 101 to waste time. Didn't go up in the end, coz' the children were weary so we headed back. Anyway, it's the normal thing that you see in every country so... forget it.

Taipei was never my favourite station at all. Anyway, we hardly have TPE flights except for LAX bound, the rests are 1 n/s flights. Why? Although it's chinese food but it does taste funny. Okay, at least for this station I don't have to resort to patronising Wendy's (in SEL- Seoul. Hate Korean food!!) And the place is dirty, they never wash their cars. Eeeks! But actually what's most terrifying is when you're crossing the road. The locals are so used to it, but we're not! Even when we have the right of way, the cars will just zoom past you.
I thought things would change for the better. Some things just never change. The place is still as messy as before; now crossing the road is even more scary - especially when you have 2 kids with you.
The only good thing I can say is...Athena loves Japanese udon so it helps that there are many Japanese restaurants around.

As for the rests of the 3 days, it was with the group. Nah! No more group tours!! It's really difficult and rushing. Many a times, I threaten to "you eat so slow, I'll leave you behind." I heard Jacqueline told her 6 yr-old too! (Jacqueline is a mother of 4, but their children are 14, 11, 6, 3 so it's much easier to care for since their 2 older children helps to take care of their younger siblings.
And why no more group tours! No freedom! I forgot we were in a group when Athena told me "mummy, my stomach pain pain. I want to putt-putt." "okay, mummy bring you later.." when I realised I dunno how long we'll be in the bus headed for TaiChung.
I'm not used to it, I prefer to do it at my leisurely time and 'chong' when I'm hitting all the places of interest. Most importantly, I can talk to the locals in the train etc..

Since it was never my favourite station, I hardly go out and sightsee. So I was a little lost but it's hubby's favourite place.
But somehow I can still remember how Grand Hyatt looked on the exterior. I was looking for New York New York, which I mistakenly told hubby "Times Square" - fortunately he knew his wife became a dumb woman so he knew where I was referring to. When I looked at Grand Hyatt, I told him that could be it. And true enough, I saw the hotel name hidden. Okay, so there are some things which I can still recall....
But I can't recognise much of the surroundings coz' like I told hubby "it could be old buildings which they tore down. And Taipei 101 is so near to Grand Hyatt?!" Afterall I've left SQ for 5 years liao!

We stayed in 3 different hotels for our stay there. In Taichung we were put up in a suite (which had a sauna and jacuzzi, which we didn't use except for the sauna - used it to dry Athena's panties and Aricia's stockings. Haha!), back in Taipei, we had a slightly bigger adjoining room, one with a queen size bed and two single beds.

The thing which I looked forward to for this tour is the strawberry picking. Call me suaku but I've never been to Cameron Highlands. Athena was thrilled and kept saying "this one is red, that one is red.." And oh my, I haven't tasted such sweet strawberries for so long. It's really strawberrilicious. The guava is nice too!

We didn't buy much things except for 牧草 (something like wheatgrass, antioxidant stuff) ,雪花鹿 fetus (said to be good for those with asthma and dunno what.... I didn't really hear it coz' was feeding Aricia outside), hubby's lingzhi and my Royal Jelly (I haven't had that for a long time and I remember it's really good for my skin, but horrible taste). Anyway, we travelled with a small trolley bag so we can't buy much. But we can't forget Athena's Andrea.. so we bought her something.
I can't believe my forgetfulness. When hubby left for his business trips, I gave him a shopping list to help me find some things. Dunno why the dumb dumb me actually forgot about it until I was there. Nevertheless, I manage to find 2 things for them, which would costs alot if I had bought them in Shichida.
Umm... maybe should do a better homework next time.

During the trip, I am grateful for a couple who helped me a few times with Athena in alighting from the bus, coz' I had to carry Aricia and hubby had to get the stroller. There's also a girl, Xiaowei, (15 yrs old) who loved to play with the children. The people are very friendly except for this one family all so stuck up.

On 18th, during check-in in Taoyuan Airport (old terminal). The staff told us that the stroller has to be checked-in. We then said that "it's okay, anyway we intend to throw this stroller away. If there's a need to be checked-in, we'll throw it here now." Perhaps the staff didn't understand us, thinking that we find it troublesome so said " don't say it like this. Never mind, we can pick up the stroller from you later at the gate." We really intend to throw the stroller away! In the end, we didn't pick up the stroller in our belt in Changi Airport.

For both flights EX-SIN and EX-TPE, the crew were very nice. The purser is not called a purser but a Customer Service Co-ordinator. So what do they write as their occupation?
On the way back, both kids refuses to sleep. Only about half an hour before landing they both fell asleep. Managed to get a group photo of the crew + the FO on the way back.

Umm... feel like following him to the US in Feb. But can we go without the kids, so they don't miss their lessons?? Then I can enjoy a time to myself too!!

Photos


No comments: