Monday, November 5, 2007

My mumblings

Oh my, this has been in my draft box for so long. I better get this out today.

During the weekday last week, I was interrupted by this phone call. It wasn't a nuisance phone call, it was from the same company which they needed to do a survey when I was in KKH. I thought "okay, get it over and done with it" so I obliged her.
It started out okay, not even half way through I was quite aggitated. Why? Never mind..just read on. Then she asked if it's okay if she do another survey - on credit cards. Suspect it's for DBS coz' the name has been mentioned a few times. I didn't seem keen to continue coz' I was being tortured. Why? Why?
Reason being, the caller seems to be chinese educated. Her pronunciation is beyond words; she seems to be mumbling to herself. I was struggling to listen to her; repeating her question back to her. You say torture or not?
For goodness sake, will the company hire one who can speak confidently and audibly??

Another phone call - this time from MOH - Ministry of Health. They called as they received a note from Dr Lee about Aricia's diarrhoea. Do they do this to all patients? Or do I sound / look filthy that they may think I fed my children bacteria? Apparently that's the report on her stools culture-bacteria.
His question was asked in a way like "what have we been feeding her that caused her to have diarrhoea". As a matter of factly, I told him that she was only discharged from KKH. So if he needed to find the source, he has to find KKH coz' she's been eating hospital food. Err.... call it being defensive to the government, he thanked me for my time. ?????

To quit or not to quit?
Athena told me quite some time back that she wants to stop violin coz' it's not easy. But I've been rather insistent in letting her continue coz' I don't want her to give up things halfway just coz' she finds it tough.
And then there are times I really feel like letting her quit violin coz' it's tiring and breathless (+ heart palpitating) to teach her and nag at her over the same thing "press the string harder", "see the line, see the line.. don't press it any o how" "bow harder... you just had your meal you should have enough strength". Also it's taking a toll of my time having to go through the electone and violin almost everyday that she practically has no time for her "I never play computer so long already.." and I'm also exhausted!
The time when I don't feel like letting her quit? Is when she missed 1 lesson, but she was still able to play the new song.

Chinese : Athena's half a bucket of water + mom's half a bucket = full bucket
Read in her report card for her Chinese Speech and Drama which didn't sound promising. I spoke to the teacher on Friday and I don't know if she was being polite or what - she said "she made some improvement since the time I started teaching in August" but in her report it says otherwise.
Nevertheless, I discussed with hubby and we will put her in Berries World. But we'll have to withdraw from her Art class and make way for this.

Aricia
I buay tahan this girl.... tire me out. Never stopping, even Duracell rabbit die she's still moving.
Last night, che-che wanted to stay overnight at mom's place so we decided to let mei-mei sleep with us. It was a bad decision, she was so fretty in the room, wanted me to carry her to sleep then cry awhile, sleep, cry, sleep. I was so tired!! No way she's coming back to sleep with us!!

This afternoon, she was on the bed with me when she took 2 unaided steps to me twice. I made her walk to me on the floor, which she did again once. Then the second time she simply threw herself forward. Lucky thing I was sitting closeby otherwise she'll have a flatter nose now.

She was throwing tantrum in the evening when I refused to carry her. It was so funny!

Facebook
Julia
Yay! My friend found me!! I was looking for her inside but I can't remember her maiden surname so keyed in different surname. Oh well! I'm glad to hear from her again.
How did I get to know her?
I don't know if my fellow KC-ians girls remember that sometime in 1990 or 1991 a group of students from Oz came to perform in our school. Julia was playing the saxophone. I got to know her and another girl and we kept in touch. At that time pen-pal was the in-thing. Somehow a few months down the road, it was only Julia who continued writing back. And so our friendship began.
Although we were separated by miles and waves, we did meet when I was flying.
Somehow along the line, we lost touch. That was after I saw photos of her lovely Ashlee - then a baby.
Now heralds another new beginning of us and sharing things on our children.

Schoolmates
Was looking at a schoolmate's reunion photo of the sub-science class - Sec 4/6.
And imagine my shock when I noticed quite a number of interracial marriages. I know interracial marriages is common, but it's like if you have 10 couples, you may have 1-2 inter-marriage. In this case, it was a higher percentage in my schoolmates case.
Frankly, I did fantasize me marrying an angmoh. What's so great about marrying an angmoh? I wouldn't say if they are better people than chinese or other races but it all boils down to fate. But I've always liked mixed kids and thought it'd be nice to have one of my own. Yah yah, that's after I decided not to marry a Japanese (Kaiyoko laughed when I related the story to her)..
So why didn't I find one since I had a higher chance of meeting them while flying? I'm sure you know I hate to get involved with crew and passenger, so it was one opportunity down.
Like I said, it's all about fate. Thankfully, I'm not in a harem or married somewhere far far away in Timbaktu.
I'm stuck in Singapore with 2 beautiful kids (naughty kids when I'm angry with them - hee!)

4 comments:

Karmeleon said...

At her age, she shouldn't need to practise for too long, right? 15 minutes? At most 20 to 30 minutes?

I remember doing that with Timothy when he started ERhu last year. But then again, he has private 1-to-1 classes, so teacher goes at his pace.

Are the electone classes fun?

Lily Ann said...

Yes. But she keeps making mistakes and I had to keep correcting her.. otherwise playing wrongly.

The YJC is quite fun. Haven't really progressed to electone yet - in another 3 years?

Karmeleon said...

Oh, but you said practise violin & electone everyday?

Lily Ann said...

Yes, it's both on all days except Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Tuesdays - do another short revision on what I feel she needs to practice more. Wednesdays - too late already, moreover most times she stay overnight at mom's place.