Sunday, April 8, 2007

Iggy's Baptism & our believes

Baptism - 8th April
Ignatius is exactly 2 months old and it's his baptism day too! Frankly, I thought it's special to have his baptism on this date - Easter Sunday.

His gift : hope he can use it. It's a last minute purchase so I had no time to do a personalized online gift for him.

Adjorned to Holy Trinity at 5+ for the 6pm mass and baptism. (Dunno why my brother asked his helper along.... I mean she's a muslim leh - although no boundaries in religion. To think that I ask my Christian helper stay at home @ last minute.) Downstairs, someone was asking brother's helper if Aricia is one of the infant to be baptized. Huh? And I think I know why too.............see the picture?

Actually not that we deliberately let her wear this dress. She was wearing another dress but dirtied her dress while eating so KZ changed it at home - KZ had to grab this piece (all-white. Looks like a pure and sin-less baby until she starts opening her mouth! Waah...) Unlike Athena, Aricia didn't deliberately shake her head or use her hand to remove the headband. Good girl!

Proceeded up to the main hall
and thank goodness we have seats allocated for baptised infants' family. Noticed people kept looking at Aricia when we walked in. The last time Athena (at 1+ yrs old) walked into the church at brother's wedding, some people thought she was the flowergirl. Haha!
The last time I stepped into a catholic church was at my brother's wedding 3 years ago. And.. there are so many changes. You know mass is very predictable, you know what the priest is going to say next..but it's sung out now. It used to be only the organ playing the accompaniments to hymns etc.., now it's drum. piano & organ. Wah se! Then got powerpoint some more!!

Not even half an hour pass when Athena came to me to tell me that she's hungry, if I've packed anything for her. Wah pieng eh.... she thinks she's going on a picnic huh? (funnier still, sister in the day time went to City Harvest for the Easter Concert, and she had coke & fries with her. She thinks she's going picnic?!) Going back on brother's wedding day... we were on first row, altar boys kept looking at Athena (who was then 18/19mths old) who kept munching & munching. We had to do that to keep her quiet.

Iggy is the second to be baptized, but he chose to cry out so loud that they had to feed him first. So, they skipped him and once he's settled to bring him up. Touching to see the cute infants being brought up for a skinny dip. Well... touching for the fact that they are bonded closer to God today and... I almost teared. See! told you I can be an emotional person. All of them somewhat cried during the immersion, one interrupted with a loud wail when priest said "in the name of the *waa waa*" to the laughter of the whole congregation. It was a pleasant surprise to see Julia & Simon bringing up their baby girl - Ethel. Well... I haven't seen them in ages and Julia used to fly with me. And she never changed - still very very pretty. Then it was Iggy's turn. He didn't cry or struggle. Well, fact is he fell asleep after his milk (he always does) so he didn't know what happened. Click here for video
The Godparents then have to go up to light their candles.

RITE OF INFANT BAPTISM
Receive the light of Christ,
Parents & Godparents, this light is entrusted to you to be kept burning brightly.
These children of your have been enlightened by Christ. They are to walk as children of the light. May they keep the faith flame of faith alive in their hearts. When the Lord comes, may they go out to meet him with all the saints in the heavenly kingdom.
The Fairy Godmother

My favourite song came on during communion :
You Raise Me Up
Asked my sister how come she never go up to receive communion since she's baptized. Her reasoning - "too long liao.." Huh? Of course long time ago lah! How old she thinks she is?! Anyway... wanted to sing the song then my stupid father kept asking me questions "what's the difference between my auntie's religion and this? And how come Titus (hubby) never go up? Then where is Mary in this place?How come I don't see Mary? (feel like telling him "der.. she's sitting next to me.") So, who's that on the cross? Auntie's religion is a cult?" Wah.... talk to him can bang head leh. Explain macam like never explain like that?!?!

Photo with the priest. Ay! What's my daughter doing there?
L to R: SIL's mom, brother, SIL, priest, fairy godmother
As I carried Aricia and walked down the steps, one lady turned to say "congrats, she accepted Christ today." I clarified that nope she's not one of the infants baptised today. I think if she did, she'd scream and splash water at the priest.
On the whole, I was so pleased with her behaviour during mass. She kept kicking her legs and moved her arms in excitement when we're singing. She "talked" alot too. Quite funny... the only thing she didn't do is to spit saliva. Argh! And I've been dying to show my family her funny expression when doing that.
With daddy at the lobby area
We then proceeded to have our dinner at Bali Thai. It was already 8+pm when we arrived at the restaurant. I was not hungry but angry. Angry with one stupid man in the carpark, one car was leaving as I came in, so I waited and put a left signal. The stupid man's car was far behind me obviously knowing that I was waiting for the lot. As the car drove off, naturally I reverse. And I was near the lot, just one more steer to the left and I'll be able to park rear in when the stupid man came forward and horned at me.(all the while he was far behind me, how come all of a sudden he came forward) There was simply no way for me to do that one last steer coz' he die die want to drive through my car to go ahead. Then he keh kiang still want to go forward trying to squeeze his lao-pok-pok Honda Accord between my car and a parked car opposite , I fed up horn at him and refused to move. Then the woman in the car was like telling him off. He had no choice but to reverse his car after that. Stupid man!
We went in first coz' I needed to feed Aricia her 'mum-mum'. Boy! She was hungry but good thing she didn't complain.
Dinner was okay, well at least the soup was so much better than what we had yesterday at LekThai in White Sands.
The children
Athena had a funny way of eating. She ate all the white rice, then took the dishes.
Mary & Aricia



Our funny family believes...
1) I mentioned before that our parents are buddhists but they're alright with us believing in other religions. See lah! My quite staunch dad can even step into a church!

2) The children all attended Catholic schools so we were used to masses and all in our schools. I like the singing and during communion, I'd sing my lungs out or I'd gossip with classmates. Haha! Anyway, we all don't mind going into a catholic church (afterall we all believed in same God) and will follow everything except the communion.

3) Somehow fate has it that brother started attending church - Holy Grace Presybeterian - just opposite our house in East Coast Rd. I went with him but was in a different place, one girl told me "you are not a christian, you cannot attend church." I bore grudge but still went coz' I wanted to sing. After some time, I stopped. Dunno why, can't remember..maybe that girl told me off again? My sister also attended church.
4) Okay.. only sister attended catholic church. Got baptized and dunno what happened between her and someone - was it the priest?, was it a confirmation cert or baptism cert she tore away out of frustration. Funny! Seems like our family likes to rebel huh? Anyway, I can't remember & need to get my story right from her.

No comments: