Monday, April 23, 2007

Can't believe mom told me this!

Mom saw & heard how pek-chek I was on Saturday when I was coaching Athena on her violin lesson.
I kept reminding Athena about her hand " don't move your arm! Press down the strings harder! Pluck the string properly!" Very pek-chek and gek-sim to keep raising my voice at her.

Mom told me "violin very difficult is it? Since so difficult, don't let her learn lah!"

I can't believe she actually gave me the suggestion to pull her out, and give the idea that 'my daughter can give up things halfway when she can't do it?' So her whole life she'll be doing things halfway. No way! I'm going to stand behind her and nag & nag & nag at her till she's old.(that is supposedly I don't die before she turns 18)

After that remark from her, the more I wanted to prove to her my daughter can do it (just that she's lazy and needs to be pushed). I told Athena to follow me to the bathroom & made her see herself in the mirror. She did, and next minute you know it, she was doing it correctly - coz' probably she was admiring her ownself playing the violin. Duh! If only I had thought of it sooner, save me from screaming myself out.

I remembered too that Sam's blog has this link on techniques, showed it to her. She paid attention to it and even admired Sam's son playing his violin.

Today's lesson was stress-free. Simple! Brought her in to see herself and she told me her mistake. I deliberately fling my arm as I played the song for her and she corrected me. I deliberately moved the bow about from 'playing at the correct position to the fingerboard and very close to the bridge' - she corrected me. She tried playing the bow on the 'E' & 'A' string, umm.......... sounds okay to me.

3 comments:

Karmeleon said...

Hey, which video u let yr dd watch for inspiration, ah?

I did keep a learning blog, but not from the time he started though.

Danny Tunes

If you want a Suzuki student closer to her age, let her watch Tongzhou. He started at 3yo. Same teacher as Daniel's 1st violin teacher.

Tongzhou: Romanze

Karmeleon said...

And for some that are AT her current level (Twinkle variations, right?), here's some:

This little girl is too cute!
She looks like a 2yo !!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUlE1mQVacE

A typical Suzuki Concert with Twinkle variations:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No9CtolrTLE

A similar concert, but in Singapore:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnC8VFVwCAU

Lily Ann said...

I showed her the link that you wrote, just selected the one that is appropriate for her, then let her watch your son playing in a concert. Give her some inspiration. Then played back what I 'secretly'video-ed (a short one) at the Mozart Fest I brought her to.
Thanks for the links, I will check it out.