Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Oi! U understand or not?!?!

Brother's helper arrive on Monday night. And since then, she's been driving mom up the wall. Mom said "I wouldn't be surprised if one day I get a stroke - all thanks to her."

I saw her on Tuesday evening when I went over to mom's place before picking Athena up from school. And true to what and how my mom and sis described - skinny, hunchback,very quiet. And they said "she only know how to nod nod her head and smile." Apparently she was wetting the floor; not mopping the floor. When I arrived, she was ironing clothes and.... she put her another hand so close to the iron while ironing that I kept telling her "careful! hot!hot!" - she smiled at me. Next minute I was walking back into the kitchen again to prepare milk for Aricia, I said the same thing - she smiled again. (Now I begin to wonder if Myanmar is the Land of Smiles or if it's Thailand?!?!) Third time I walked back to wash the bottles, I see the same thing. And I think to myself 'Heck lah! Let her burn her fingers.'

The most exciting part happened in the evening: I asked if she eats pork, she looked at me. I then put it simply by saying "Do you eat pig?" - smile and no response.
A bit frustrated from an impatient me : "Do you eat *snort snort*?" She heard me snorting like a pig and her face lightened up "Ahh.....No!"
Me : No?
Her : No
Me : Do you eat *moo moo* - beef
Her : No
Me : You don't eat pork and beef
Her : Yes. Here everyone in Singapore everything eat, I don't

So I went back and told mom about it so she'll be aware of it.Mom later came out and asked her
Mom : So.. you don't eat pork?
Me : Yes, I can

@#$&%^!!!!!
Do you hear Jane hitting her chest calling for Tarzan? That's me!

There's really a communication breakdown. So I suggested bringing KZ the next day (Wednesday) to help with the translation. Mom thought it'll be a good idea

This morning (Wed), mom called to ask me not to bring KZ along. My SIL has decided to try her out this week, if really cannot then she'll change helper. Then less than half hour, called back again to tell me.... "You better bring her here. Totally cannot converse, I cannot take it. I asked her if she had her breakfast, she nod her head. Pauline asked her later, she said no."

When KZ talked to her, and KZ explained "she can understand English mum, she only cannot talk back in English." Then both mom and me exclaimed at the same time "then use sign language or make an attempt somehow, nod head we dunno if understand or not."
I think what they decide to do, is to give her chance because altho' she claimed she understands it seems likewise. If she doesn't prove herself to them.......

No comments: