Friday, June 9, 2023

Overseas Programme

Sometime in April 

Lil’ one told me about a trip to ____ , a work attachment trip during the hols on 4th Apr. 5th Apr she did the online application. Deadline is 7th. 

Fast forward to 6th (Thu) she told me about a briefing cum interview on 13th Apr (Thu). Argh! The week of therapies sees me cancelling and booking and cancelling again. No choice when it comes to school, that is the priority. 

So why I kept changing the therapies dates? Changed until I was also confused!!
For the week of 10th - 14th Apr, I had initially booked for 10th (Mon) and 13th (Thu). 
However on XX, she told me the classmates would like to come over our house to do their project together from 1-3pm followed by a HBL lesson from 3-5pm at our home since they can’t make it in time to go back home after their project discussion. I totally welcome her classmates and even Che-che’s classmates over any time. I cancelled the therapy thinking that maybe they will want to discuss more after 5pm and switched it to another timing later timing on 13th where she’ll have 2 sessions on 13th. 
On XX, she showed me her phone and said there’s a briefing cum interview on 13th. OMG! Even before the administrator can approve my later booking for 13th I had to cancel both. Pushed back to Friday the 14th. 
** I forgot the dates so it’s all “XX” ๐Ÿ˜‚ **

Thought ok interview means either she goes or not. Encouraged her to give it a try.

On 11th (Tue) evening she told me her teacher told her her placing is confirmed. Coz they already have selected the 20 students! Huh? I was even more surprised that she was 1 of the only 2 Year 1s students selected. They gave majority of the placements to the Year 2s and 3s as they have missed the previous 2 years’ trip due to covid. So it’s something to rejoice to be given a chance. 
Eventually a day or two after that it was confirmed only she is selected to go. So now she’s the only privilege 1 Y1 to go. ๐Ÿ‘ One teacher didn’t want the other to go so… this girl must really count her blessings. 

Teacher messaged her the forms to fill up at home. To be submitted on 13th (Thu). But highly ambitious girl says she wants to submit on Wed. I only printed out the forms quite late so can’t fill up the forms so fast.

4th May (Thu)
Purchased her travel insurance. 

26th May (Fri)
Che-che was tasked to bring her to shop for pants and jacket at G2000 and Uniqlo.
The smallest size is still too big for her. I think the next time we’re in Bangkok, I should bring her to have some formal office wear tailored. 

30th May (Tue)
Mr Simon told the kiddos that their meal allowance will be transferred to them. Woah! I didn’t know that they will receive S$402. 

4th June (Sun)
Told me the attire is all black. Huh? I asked her “mourning”? Then she said no skirt. Another huh (?) from me ๐Ÿ˜…. 

5th June (Mon)
Brought her out to buy some simple work top after picking her up from school. One might think I’m overly anxious over her attires and wasting money just for this trip, yes I am as I feel she doesn’t have any appropriate office wear. Anyways, she will need some work clothes for next time too. 
Bought a few nice tops from Sans and Sans and Uniqlo. 

7th June (Wed)
She was back in school in home clothes for briefing. Parents briefing is held an hour later. 

Each person is allowed 2 bags of 32kg each. ็œŸ็š„ๅ—?Haha! I think hers will only be the lightest and the one with least clothes. I think it should be lesser than 32kg lah! Did the teachers remember their numbers wrongly ๐Ÿ˜ฌ? [I checked 2 nights later. True enough it’s 2 bags of 23kg each not 32kg. Can’t fault them coz the numbers are the same]

Only 3 sets of parents went. (Errr…. it was only che-che and I who went coz hubby had to work and also someone needs to be home for the gas people to connect the gas.) One father seemed too overly protective and kept asking questions. Some questions which I felt were rather common sense. The only question I asked was whether they will arrange the room mate to have the same off day or not. Coz she’s the loner ๐Ÿ˜‚, she knows no one tho I think she will be thick-skinned enough to get to know people and tag along for whatever things they’re going to do. Anyway, I’m so cool about it, somehow still practicing that Shichida thingy where I put in positive affirmations blah blah blah so she won’t feel my anxiety. Never mind, even if I’m too worried about it, I will do it behind her back and … maybe go and pray?? ๐Ÿ˜‰ Can lah! KC girls are well-trained. She went for camp from P4, went Malacca in P6. ๆฒกไบ‹็š„ๆฒกไบ‹็š„!Her mummy also want to train both girls to be very independent.

Back home I told her since there will be some non-mandarin speaking students around, to offer translation help when she can. I think my little miss kapo will do her job well. Which is why I’m confident that she can handle this trip herself. 

In the night, ordered the SIM card for her after I realised that they won’t bring them to buy. And Shoppee has one where we can collect locally. Thank goodness! There were a few options to choose from : 5 days, 7 days, 8 days, 10 days, 15 days and 30 days. I chose the maximum days with 20GB + call just incase she plan to stay back longer ๐Ÿ˜œ. 

8th June (Thu)
Finally packed her bag for her. 
For her work clothes, she has 7 tops and 3 bottoms to mix-&-match. 3 sets of bedroom clothes. 

that little stuffs ๐Ÿซข. Put the AirTag in the luggage bag and connected it to her phone. 
First aid box is a must bring. All was labelled when I had to prepare this box for che-che for her J2 trip to CM, labelled them according to instructions and steps to use it. 


9th June (Fri)
Collected her SIM card on the way to her therapy. They listed a few ESSOs (27 around the island) and I chose the one just along Upp Serangoon, next to Heartland Mall. Turns out they don’t carry it and I messaged the seller, was asked to head down to their office in Ubi. 


Just the day before I was nagging at her why didn’t she tell me that she had to get some appreciation gifts? “I had to scroll thru your chatgroup to find out!”
SHE : “I did! The day the teacher forwarded us, I told you in the car and you told me to forward to you!” 
ME : (thinking… I probably did ask her to do that. ๐ŸซขProbably was trying to make her stop talking in the car while I’m driving.)
ME : (after some time I checked my messages from her while she was in the shower. Oops! She did forward me the message on 4th May.)
SHE : (after she got out from shower, I think still buay gum guan to get scolding from me earlier on. She went to check her phone messages) “See mummy! I sent to you on the 4th. You never read then scold me.”
Haha! Can’t fault me k…. I had 1001 things in my pea-size brain. And it possibly slipped my mind coz my mind was fixated on the reno related stuffs. However, I am proud of her. I can always trust this lil’ one that she handles everything on her own well since young. 


Since we made a trip to Flower Dome after her therapy, I suggested getting the gifts there. Bought coaster priced at S$9.90, and chocolates from Cocoa Tree for S$3.90. Ok, very Singaporean gifts. 
Not sure if suppose to pack them but we did and then she decided to write a Thank You message to them. 

Her handwritten words (“mummy! I didn’t write chinese for so long! My hand is tired.” ๐Ÿ˜‚) of appreciation for the people because of the road she’ll travel - in terms of work experience and from ___ to ___
** ps. In order to protect her location, I will re-edit post with destination once she’s back.”
Back at home, daddy was (teasing) fussing over her; will miss her for 2 weeks BUT she told him she is so excited and can’t wait to leave home. Muahaha! Daddy’s heart is broken ๐Ÿ’”

Photocopied copies of her passport and Notarise certs for her and then packed them into her therapy file. 

I am just so excited for her and can’t wait for her to share with us her adventures and photos. Aiyoh! She better take photos. 




No comments: