Thursday, June 1, 2023

Minor renovation works : Part 2 DISMANTLING & INSTALLATION & UNPACKING (a little of this) in timeline *warning : novel post*

A warning. Do not read this unless you’re superbly bored in need for an aunty ranting post. This is a very long post as it will take me from the start to the end of the mini renovations. As stated in the headline, it’s a timeline so I do have time-stamped entry too. This post is mainly for my records, therefore I’m documenting everything down. 

*****************************
行动!!

9th May (Tue) 
It’s D - Day

Came at 9.51am. Briefed the guy (I assumed is the leader) of where to dismantle.

Moved fridge, told them to keep the convection oven and pots pans rack for me 

10+ : started working on the master toilet. 

Did less than 10mins job removing master room sink 😂

Used timer to check from the time they step into the common toilet until someone comes out - 8mins. But bear in mind he was on solo all the time while there were 2 workers to dismantle the master toilet. There were 3 of them working. 

10.27 started dismantling the kitchen. 

10.29 : Two glass guys came. Don’t underestimate the skinny one k? The pui pui cabinet dismantler guy like never jiak enough rice, so gentle in smashing the cabinets. 
What caught me by surprise later was the lack of safety precautionary methods. At one time, a guy was looking up and scrapping off the silicone with his penknife. He had no eyewear. My goodness! What happens if there’s a freak accident where the blade breaks? 
I noticed the fixed glass on the right (nearer to kitchen door n filter) seems harder to remove. 

They just left the glass behind. Told them to please wrap it up for me otherwise will break if someone accidentally drop something in the yard behind as we still need to move around in the yard. Tho the yard seems out of bounds but I’ll need to stand somewhere to reach out for the vacumn cleaner. Decided that I should just do laundry more often so I can hang them to dry in lil’ one’s room or send laundry out to the 24hrs self-service laundromat? 

11.08 : messaged big girl if she wanted to order Grab. I cannot move, she cannot move. We’re restricted 🚫 on the sofa and her room. Darn! Now I’m urgent, I want to pee…

11.20 : Hulk smashing the board laying the solid surface. My god! So dusty. My goodness! 

11.29 : spent about 1hr 3mins dismantling so now cleaning up. 

Argh! Cannot fix back the water filter!! And I said so many times already, we all need water. I wonder if the leader really understood me. Sigh….at first I said to help me re-connect back he 👌. After that before be left I told him about the filter, he said he cannot fix back. Should have told me earlier. 

11.47 : clearing the floor protector sheet. 

2.20 : showered n ate my leftover roasted pork from yesterday. Hungry and knee pain coz I slipped and fell at yard area. Che-che asked if I will go now to pick lil’ one since I’m free. No, I’m so tired scrubbing the 2 toilets, kitchen n a small portion of the yard area. 

master toilet all cleaned and pipe taped up


Common toilet 
Wow! Kitchen looks a little more spacious. 


10th May (Wed) 

Woke up at 7.10. Vacumned only and took a nice cooling shower. Working smart now, no need to mop until works are done for the day. Electrician coming between 9.30 - 10am

Three guys came at 10am and wasted no time. In 1 1/2hrs they helped to install one light in the yard area and did all the wiring in the kitchen

I started re-grouting kitchen. 

All the way until 8+pm. I had my only meal (leftover mala) at 7+. All so tired. Then continued with the master toilet. Right after I was done, I jumped into the shower area. Woah! Feels so good with the cold water, really needed it. At 9pm, I wanted to lay down on the bed already. 

Before and After of grouting done in kitchen and 2 toilets



Something to complain here 🥺….. or maybe you’ll laugh at my misery. For a moment I was so touched when hubby came into the master toilet with a small fan and said it’s for me. So sweet right…..? After that he closed the door and turned on the room aircon. Chey! 

the mess on the dining table 

11th May (Thu) 

Working even smarter. No need to vacumn; no need to mop. Showered and sat in my Empress Dowager throne. Muahaha! Can just pretend this is campervan living. Truth is, I really want to hide in an air-conditioned room, away from the oven heat which reminds me of Dubai.

11.37am - lone carpenter came. But dunno where the cabinets are. T kept saying they are already here but I see no planks except the carpenter. He went to find them after I passed him the access card, which I later found out why it “was here but NOT HERE ここにはいない”. 

Cabinets came late, came all the way from Malaysia together with the chickens and ducks 😅. A problem arose when they couldn’t come into the compound, so had to use a smaller lorry to bring the cabinets in. The workers had to unload from big container to load into small lorry, unload from small lorry. Wah….they could have saved the time by carrying everything and walk to my house. 

An hour later, at 12+ it’s all finally loaded into the house. The lone carpenter can quickly start his work.

OMG! And last minute said he cannot finish in 1 day. Apparently T didn’t tell them they can come only from Tue to Thu?! Asked hubby if he can help tomorrow, pick lil’ one up then send her for therapy after that. So I’ll stay home again. Honestly, I don’t mind staying at home.






My ketojunkie snacks came at the same time. Thanks to Aruna who did a special delivery for me today instead of the slotted Friday

Was chatting with the lone carpenter.

"你一个人而已?可以?" coz I always see 3-4 workers.

"这么小的工。整间家可能多工人吧!〞

Even the small minor reno in Punggol I also saw 3-4 people.

His remarks after that made me laugh."如果你看到三个人,也是一个人在做。一个在打电话、另外一个站在一边看。" 😂


@ 1.56pm : centralising the hob to the oven. It looks more aligned now but unfortunately the bigger space I had hoped for is where my Kitchenaid will be. Argh! I wanted more space the other side for the Thermomix. Oh well! I think I can move the kopi maker next to Kitchenaid. Cannot complain; shall look forward to my new kitchen. 


I was so proud of my sink purchase and showed off 🤣 to him. He commented that buying sink from China still ok, he himself will be worried if it’s electrical items. But really weird that the back part of the sink (where tap, buttons etc..are) is tilted backwards a little. If it’s meant to be tilted, shouldn’t it tilt towards the sink for water collection? Hmmm….
Expert 就是 expert lor! He just cut into the wood in whatever angle to slot this in. It’s going to be undermounted so no water will splash out. 

Kept this in my handphone to show myself how all the mount looks like 

This box became his trashbin

2.25pm - buay tahan the dust. I mean I know he was cutting something but this is so different from his other cutting. Immediately I felt something in my eyes. I stood up to leave the living area, and saw him wearing googles. Stood in the balcony for a while before the heat sank into my skin.

Girls arrived home close to 3pm. They made their way to the study room almost immediately. But came back to tell me the study room is full, they will go Starbucks in Hougang Mall. 

Guy took a kopi break at 3.25pm for 40mins and worked again. Wah….really tiring for him. But I think he’s so used to it, he is so slim. 

At about 3.40pm I walked to the kitchen and I saw the uninstalled portion just by che-che’s door. Was trying to fix the jigsaw puzzle; trying to figure out what part was this when I realised this could be the cabinet next to the fridge; above the hood. But why is there a “chimney”? OMG! I needed the space! Messaged T immediately and he went to check, and I later found out it has the extended hood. Sigh……. I didn’t know. So it’s my fault I didn’t check. But can’t blame me entirely right? Our previous Bosch doesn’t have this and even my 2 hoods in Punggol house also don’t have. How come I so suay choose this? i don’t have much 60cm metal looking choices anyway. Perhaps this is a hint to declutter more in the house.

Now I’ll have to find a way to store my items now. I can’t use back my old instant noodle organizer. Sigh……装修后反而花更多钱。Maybe this is the reason why now I can sit in one corner not doing anything except working my fingers in Taobao. 

T must be thinking this person is so troublesome. 

@4.22pm - a problem! Just so happened to kapo to see and I thought something looks off. Tombalek lah! It’s one door followed by two doors opening. OMG! Highlighted the problem to T. 
Yup! Woodwork side’s mistake. If I want to change, I’ll have to wait for another 3-4weeks fabrication + the dreaded superbly dusty installation. Wah….forget it. 
I saw where the position of the shelf studs and asked him if he can help me drill the holes exactly half. He encouraged me to put my things first, if need then call them for help. I explained that my items are all assigned nicely and all with organization racks. And it’ll take me forever to unpack (I can’t possibly call them back 1mth later right?) or perhaps I can just pull it out myself and put the plank on the top. “不容易啊! 你要用plier拉出来。放进stud你还要敲。” Hmmm 🤔…..maybe that explains why a small plank in our walk-in wardrobe dropped coz I never 敲 😂

I showed him a photo which is saved in previous blog entry.  He adjusted for me. Now what can I do with that plank? Tie it to lil’ one to straighten her posture? 

@ 4.53pm I also noticed Ah Boy didn’t do the ‘hidden switches inside panel’ and messaged T about it. I can’t remember when we talked abt this “you open door to turn on switches. All hidden. Clean look outside.”. It could be the time Ah Boy didn’t come by, even so the message was not passed to him. I was talking to the carpenter then he said he can help me solve the problem there n then and messaged T back -
 Anyway this uncle say I can hide the sockets inside here green arrow. Then he will tell the guy to bring dunno what planks or whatever so he can put inside where this orange colour show”

At the same time also conveyed message to T that tomorrow morning 11am surface guy cannot come as carpenter feels he won’t be able to finish the work. Push back timing to 4pm. 

Somehow we were talking about the woodwork when he mentioned that they will know who are the better ones, and the lousy ones. He didn’t comment if this guy is good but I shall leave it to you to decide. I think that’s the reason why J’s price is expensive! Coz their workmanship is really good and I didn’t have to keep telling them what to do. This guy is like dai ji liao liao like that leh…..

I told him that I even told Ah Boy (the boss) what I wanted and I told him to follow exactly the same as my old cabinets. At first he thought the cabinets were dismantled so Ah Boy didn’t see. “没有。前天才刚刚测出来。他有看到。我还一直提醒做一摸一样。我讲一摸一样很多次。” I further reiterated that it’s good that I was asked to check the measurements, otherwise I wouldn’t know those mistakes or alterations he made. Months prior, I was advised by mom and a friend that we should all move to a hotel for the time being. Don’t you think it’s a blessing we didn’t do that? Imagine coming home to things all so wrong and they have to dismantle and re-do. Wasted hotel stay; more time wasted.  

@ 7.48 he started to pack up to leave. Thank you for your hard work!!

After he left I swept the living, dining, kitchen and yard area with the broom followed by the magic clean dry wipe. The broom missed out so much spots as there were dust accumulated with the use of magic clean. The last step was to vacumn the area. I didn’t want to vacumn in the first place as I didn’t want dust stuck on the roller and then brought into another room. I’m just so fussy! Didn’t want to mop as it’s still not 💯 % dust free, I’ll have to wash the mop if dust or teeny weeny wooden bits gets stuck in between. 

@8.46 I’ve showered with wet hair wrapped up in towel n  laying on the bed. I didn’t really do much today except to walk to him and do PR with him, swept the PES. Hubby brought the vacumn cleaner to our room; I brought in the Magic Clean dry wipe stick. 

Wet two floor mats and told them to just wipe their feet before stepping into their room. I only mopped the floor area outside our 3 bedrooms and the common toilet. 

Basically it’s really useless to clean the whole place thoroughly coz there’ll be work then next day. Work smart! 

Was looking at the photos I took today, and realised something looks so different/weird at the dishrack area. Omg! don’t have that base part. Aiyoh! Ah di ah …… 

He gave me this condiments rack here. Yup Ah Boy did promise he’ll give me a bigger one to occupy the space I’ll have as I only have 1 door instead of 2 now. But I didn’t expect to still have so much space left. To give him the benefit of doubt, it is definitely slightly bigger than my previous one, and maybe the next bigger size cannot fit the cabinet? Anyway ….. will look into Taobao slowly to see if I can find any small shelving to use up that space. 气死也没有用。


These are the completed works for today




12th May (Fri)

Hubby was tasked to help me send lil’ one for therapy after school, if not I was looking forward for that 7hrs eat-snake day. 

I hope after today the rests of the work will be dust-free. Then I can change all the bedsheets, which will come to another problem - where to hang up the bedsheets + blankets (only the adults’. The girls blankets needs to go to the drycleaners) ? 

Now I’m getting a little better in laying down the plastic sheet


I bought two rolls of plastic sheet from Taobao. And it certainly ease the job of wrapping furniture up. 

The washing machine was really dusty yesterday even though I had closed the sliding door. Sigh…. and smart me forgot to bag up the floor rugs. So I’ll have double batch to wash today. Argh! 
Really a lot of cleaning up this weekend. HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY to myself!! 

In the meantime I had something to eat first before the dust scatters around. I didn’t have much appetite for lunch or dinner yesterday, it was strange. Maybe it’s too 闷热 tho I had the fan blowing directly at me. I had the last 6 pieces of louisiana rub chicken. 

With my handy dandy spoon, this time I managed to satisfy my craving for chin chow + soda water.  



Saw 4 bakso in the fridge, so took that and one curry puff I left in the fridge yesterday. It’s no easy feat to eat with the airfryer liner so I used the same cup 


not forgetting my saviour spoon! Actually this cup is useful, it’s a disposable from Koufu’s drink stall if I’m not wrong. I kept 2 for days when I want to chill my/lil’ one’s kopi overnight for consumption the next day. 


Guy came at 10.30am. I think after he OT-ed yesterday, today he overslept 😂. I still think he should get sufficient rest so can do my house nice nice for me, so come in late also never mind. 

I took the rack out for the carpenter to help me install BUT the dismantler guys didn’t keep the tracking for me. OMG! Immediately SOS-ed T for help. 

Surface top guy came at 11.17am?? What?! I messaged T the yesterday to inform the guy to come after 4pm. My goodness! There’s no way he can do any measurement as carpenter was finishing the last works in the kitchen. 

12.03pm - took a pic of the view from my throne. 



12.20pm : started working on the common toilet cabinet frame for only less than 10mins, followed by the master toilet 

I saw him holding the glue and asked him to help me glue the laminate in walk-in wardrobe. 

@ 1.40pm : confirmed everything in black and white on what is works are pending for the next installation/ touch up with T 
(1) the pots pans rack to install
(2) waiting for some cover to cover the kitchen drain cover
(3) one box thing to put the 4 switches (fridge, hood etc..)  inside
(4) 骗人的 laminate for outside toilet to paste on the mirror cabinet side: 

2.30pm : I walked past common toilet. What?! Why this colour? It’s supposed to be light brown. Aiyoh…..the carpenter heard me aiyoh sure scared also, Terrence sees my message also scared. Sigh…… 
Carpenter said never mind but I just feel bad for him - wasted job! Of course this is no fault of mine coz during selection I double-checked and even in the group WhatsApp chat I re-confirmed the laminates, sintered stone and quartz choices. 

T messaged back said yah it’s Carpenter’s mistake not mine. Wah….I’m beginning to think I’m lucky that I am at home to see and not staying in a hotel, imagine coming to see all the mistakes 



The sample piece (top pic) looks lighter and softer than actual end product. Maybe I should have chosen the same brown as the common toilet. Or perhaps I just need to get used to the new colours


@ 3.07pm - T updated that surface top guy will come by on Monday (15th)

@ 3.27pm - T updated and confirmed cabinet guy will come on Thursday (18th) to do the necessary works. 

3.50+ asked where I wanted the height for the laundry room planks. He wanted to do all the drilling before 4.30pm. 

About 4.40pm : I peeped from the dining table, OMG! I didn’t know the planks are so thick! I only knew the huge base plank is thick coz Ah Boy said it is 活 so needs it to be thick. But the other 2 also? Maybe thick also good, means more weight sturdy? 

The finished work in the kitchen. I now have a smaller space for the medicine box. Sigh….

Highlighted to T the tiles came out during dismantling 



Found the parts hidden below in the yard. Aiyoh…these people why anyhow leave things around?
On the day of dismantling I found my water filter mesh cover in their rubbish pile, lucky that I SAW IT. Otherwise I’ll have to deal with another frustrating liasing with the Sterra staffs again. 

Can’t remember what time it was when carpenter saw the problem. 
@ 7.55pm I messaged T “Just to let you know, after my last message to you and I also forgot how long after - carpenter saw problem with this door. The hole cut down too low.”

One will be at the pink colour part. So he has messaged Ah Boy about it but still haven't heard from him. This door now also cannot install”


Before he left, I asked him to help put in 2 new hinges in che-che’s wardrobe. 

After he left, we started cleaning up the place in 3/4 force. 

It’s more dusty today. Everyone except lil’ one roped in to clean the house. Asked her to wipe her room with Clorox also never do. Che-che helped with the outside. She was a great help indeed! I had to handwash all the floor mats as all were collecting wooden dust. Che-che told me her skin was itching a little due to the dust yesterday. Oh my! If not for the jab I think she will suffer more. 


@ 9+ - After my shower, I looked around to see the works  done in the day. 
Messaged T that carpenter forgot to drill a hole for me at the corner for WM wire to go through. All can be done on Thursday.

It used to be me measuring the space in the cabinets and get things to fit, now it’s the other way COZ I DO NOT WANT TO SPEND MORE MONEY CHANGING THE CONTAINERS
However I still need to get bigger container to organize the top rack. Slowly slowly… Taobao very happy with this customer. 


The tallest item is the detergent container. I also base the depth of the plank on this container. 


Was eyeing on this. I think I shall forget about getting a new one as it’s very small. Can only put 2.5kg. Huh? 


Works for today apart from the toilet cabinets


Dish drying rack is up. Actually it’ll be nice to have a door there but the concave mirror will be in the way




Che-che came home with Baileys so I drank a little. 

While waiting for the different batches of laundry I did some surfing. I think we should change our dining table top to sintered stone too. 

Will see what’s the final colour of the new surface top then decide

At 3am “GOOD MORNING SINGAPORE!” last batch of laundry in the wash - the bedsheets will take hour plus so I let it run and remove the next morning. 

13th May (Sat) 
So tired and woke up at 12pm! 
Hubby helped bring the bedsheets and clothings to the 24hrs laundromat. I saved the clothes rack space for the floor mats. Honestly it’s days like this that I really wish we had space for a dryer at home, having freshly laundered clothes without hanging them up.
Cleared and ironed the clothes in che-che’s air-conditioned room. 

14th May (Sun)
Woke up late at 12pm!! Jialat! 

15th May (Mon)
Uncle came by to do measurement for all the tops. Had to double triple check the backsplash for the kitchen. I told the uncle 

“Uncle 我的 kitchen 后面是平平的、不要 pok pok 出来.” - what I meant by the jutting out is this old-fashioned border thingy. 😂😂😂

So funny! He kept using his cigarette box. Firstly, he used it to show me the alignment in the kitchen sink (as I’m doing an undermount). He said he’ll give me about  “五十五十” in height so will cover the chip on the wall. Then in the common toilet, he ran his cigarette box around the common toilet as he said “五十五十”.  So I jokingly asked him why he kept showing me his cigarette box, is he hinting to me to buy him a box of cigarette? I was holding my measuring tape and really lor… it’s 五十出一点点 🤣.




Forgot to take pictures of the wooden frames samples in the 2 toilets 

Instruction from him is to ask the carpenter to help drill 2 holes for water filter, so sintered stone installers will just follow the sample hole template. I’m just so sick n tired of cleaning n cleaning daily. But he said it’s not dusty, dunno how true lor… I’ll still cover up the places. 

Sent lil’ one for her therapy and I finally have a short break away from home. 


16th May (Tue)

Went down Sim Siang Choon before picking lil’ one up to get the shower accessories. I chose a matt chrome, hopefully can last longer than the old one. What to do? It’s usual that developers gave lousy stuffs. 


18th May (Thu)

Had to ensure Thermomix is well protected


I should have done this before last Thursday’s work


The same carpenter uncle came at 11.07am but the items are nowhere in sight. Wah…where are the items? I thought Ah Boy will be here, maybe he scared I’ll scold him for giving me 头痛. 
Uncle started did the chipping of corner for WM wire, adjusted the sauce cabinet height (basically things he forgot to do the other day)

T came by at 12.11 to brief him again. Especially the water filter hole, I wanted two small holes so it doesn’t look so obvious but he said he only have a bigger drill and said even tho he can drill 2 holes, the sintered stone people will drill one huge hole. Looks like T still got more power to tell him, uncle left the house to purchase the driller thing from the hardware shop next to us. 
Did the side tiling too, he put it back for us.

The things arrived at 1.08pm. OMG! Finally! 从十点到一点多很久的时间. I’m just glad this is the last batch of 讲骗话 and waiting from cabinetry side. Saved probably $3-4k from J, is it worth it? 

Carpenter was baffled why he was given this huge piece of laminate 🤔

I like this colour. Maybe I really should have chosen this colour for master toilet. 

This rack looks smaller and the guy fixed it the wrong way 🤭

But I like how he covered these parts. Very neat work. I didn’t know the drain part was sealed in such a way 😅. I need to cover the drain properly.


Added this plastic thing which I think is for LED lights? 

LED lights on this side too! 

T told me the kitchen top is ready for Mon installation but not the toilets which will only be ready for Wed, so will just install everything on Thursday and Friday (26th) will be the plumbing, electrical and glass works. Then it’s handover - which means I’ll be spending more time cleaning up the house. 

Had my first meal of the day at 4.47pm after cleaning up. So hungry….so tired. 


20th May (Sat)
Carpenter came to adjust the basket 

I’m so glad my kitchen sink stuffs from a Taobao arrived. Oops! I think I can’t use anything. With the item in my hands I noticed I can’t use the drainage with huge basket in my sink as my sink has a button specifically to stop the drainage. But I can probably use the anti-insect/smell flap thing in the hose and the drainage cover. Oh well! 

Time to make another set of purchase for all the drain traps and washing machine drainage. I’m getting so frustrated seeing so many tiny cockroaches appearing in my house from the sewage pipes recently. Argh!

Brought forward the towels wash schedule to a day earlier, in the night. 


21st May (Sun)
Changed the bedsheets as usual. And sent both laundered towels and bedsheets to the 24hrs laundromat to dry them. ($2 which takes 12mins to dry the bedsheets, $3 for 18mins to dry the towels) $5 poorer but happier coz I don’t have to hang up them and then bring them down. 


24th May (Wed)
Was kindda excited for tomorrow (oh well! A little excited and more of sianz feeling when thought of the cleaning up) to get it OVER AND DONE WITH. 
But T’s message came crushing down. They needed more time with fabrication so they can only install the toilets on Friday and the kitchen (tentatively) next Tuesday. What?! Double mess to clean! 
Went to MA office to extend the reno works till 5th June.

Should I go for FightDo? I want to go but yet I have things to do at home. Sigh…..

26th May (Fri)
Covered some parts of the house, not sure how dusty it will get. 

I couldn’t reach the top part of the cabinet from the bed end towards the window as the ladder can’t fit the narrow passage way. 算了吧!At least it’s still easy to clean the open plank area. 


Don’t think I’ll have enough plastic (bought from Taobao) to tape the room doors next Tuesday when they put up the kitchen’s surface top, so used the black trash bag instead. As long as I seal up the 封 can already. 
But you know what? I totally forgot to bring out my car key for che-che before I seal the door 😱. Che-che had to tear open to get inside and seal it back for me while I was busy sealing their room doors

Thank goodness che-che is tall. I asked her to help me hold the roll from the base so I can come down and move the chair and continue taping the width of the door 

The guys came in earlier around 10.30am (suppose to come 12-2pm). I happened to walk out to the living area and saw two guys trying to unlock my gate. I thought they were the painters and checked with them. My fault coz I didn’t know there was a missed phonecall earlier, so probably that’s why they were hoping to get my attention from my balcony. But how did they know that’s my unit?? And why didn’t they jump over the balcony like the Myanmese painter did 😝.  
They told me they’ll be installing the kitchen and toilets. Woah! So we can wrap up very quickly, maybe by next Tuesday? I realised later that T messaged me about their arrival and surface top company managed to get the kitchen ready in time this will be installing all today. 

10.58 : Brought in the kitchen K1 top. Good idea they came in from the balcony. I can’t imagine the curve and turns they’ll need to take if coming in from main entrance. 

I love the pattern! 

They’re really very careful, making sure that when the top goes on top, it’s not in the way of the sink accessories. Measuring the items lor! 
They couldn’t drill the two 6mm holes coz the office didn’t pass the information to them.

11.09 : backsplash brought in.

11.34 : while two guys working in the kitchen. One brought in the toilet table top. 

the toilets basin outside

One guy was cutting the skirting outside. 

In conclusion, not too bad with the dust coz they went to the PES to cut the sintered stone. If we do not have balcony, I’m sure they’ll be cutting it inside the house and yes that’s where the dust will settle. 

OMG! Why the basin look so weird? I was told it’s going to be square, so I thought it’s the normal flat square sink we see but nobody mentioned about the slope down. So honestly I would appreciate if they would be clear and tell me everything I should know or did they think I would keep myself updated on the “trend” now? Is this the trend anyway? Next time I should be more fussy and ask every single detail by the mm and mg. On the other hand, I hope we don’t have to do anymore reno works in this house. (maybe next time we’ll need to make it more elderly friendly 😜). 

if I knew it was going to be like this, I would have requested for a horizontal drainage, more sleek looking. The slope is too steep, but I think it has gotta do with the width of the sink. And why is the end part all so flat? Shouldn't there be some slight gradient for water to flow down? I hope I won't have any problem with it but my 6th sense tells me this will not work
  


It takes a lot of getting used to seeing it and now I’m worried if the sink stopper I bought will fit. Sigh…

12.10pm : asked me what’s the size for the tap so they can drill a hole for the 2 toilet basins. Huh? How would I know what size? I don’t have anything. Messaged T and …. I was supposed to get it myself and I assumed it was provided by them so I didn’t get anything. Haiyah! 

12.16pm : amidst some confusion coz of their limited english. They had to explain to me twice that they will come another day to drill the hole then they can put silicone over the 2 basins. And will also bring the 6mm drill for the water filter. 

12.21pm : JJ later clarified that fittings are not inclusive. And plumber cannot drill as they do not want to be liable for any damage. 

Throughout the time the guys were here, T and JJ were also busy. Guys all waiting for my reply when I was waiting for T’s or JJ’s replies. Bad timing! Hubby was also busy when I asked if he was alright with the basin look coz we gotta live with this new look for many years to come. 

12.30pm : the 3 guys left. 

So I guess plumber won’t be coming in today then. 😔

Picture time!





现在看久了也稍微习惯颜色了。

Started tearing off the plastic sheets. I don’t think I’ll need to put them up anymore. Will just ask them to drill basin tap hole in the balcony area then. Cleaned the house, starting with the swiffer to clear dust from surfaces followed by Magic Clean wipe and vacumn the floor after that.  

3+ :  had my late lunch and my Taobao haul #2 were delivered to me 👍. When I was receiving the parcel, I noticed another parcel (from Shoppee) on the mat.  

This spot is messy for now as I didn’t want to open the new home vacumn and a Japanese brand wet vacumn. We will suck up the dust and whatever with our old vacumn after the reno then change to the new one. 

The rice bins, basin stoppers, water bottles stacking organizer, new cork boards etc…. are in this shipment. 
I bought 2 types of anti-insect/odour basin stoppers but only one fits - thankfully it’s the one I prefer. 
I even bought a drainer mesh for the kitchen’s sink but I’ll need to check with plumber if it can be used. 

Family came back and saw this stuck on our main door. I had no idea when it was pasted there 😝
 看了像 O$P$ sticker like that 

Days like these, the empty bottled water containers come in handy dandy.


27th May (Sat)
Decided to clean the mirrors properly today and asked the Leifheit vacumn. OMG! 🐜 flew out when I turned it on. Hate to say this but it’s disgustingly yucky when I opened up the ‘haven’t been using it for 3wks’ vacumn and washed out the entire colony of 🐜 inside. Yeeks! I’ve been seeing this trail of ants in the yard area but can’t reach to the back to kill the ants. Hmm….no wonder the previous night we saw one huge obese lizard - must be having buffet of its lifetime behind. 

Since the liners are with me now, decided to line the cabinets first. OMG! There’s a reason why in the whole 8yrs with the old cabinets I’ve only lined the interior twice. 
So tiring! I cut and lined the K1 top cabinets. Oh my! Even the cabinets have expensive taste. I used double sided and normal tapes to hold the sheets down but it kept coming off. I last tried with removable glue dots and the thing miraculously stuck to the plank. Don’t ask my why but I would think all adhesives work the same way. 
Initially I wanted to unpack the barang barang back into K1 top cabinets and seal up with a tape when they do the sintered stone cutting (to prevent dust getting in) BUT the boxes are right at the back of the yard 😱. 
Exhausted me cut 6 others strips for K2 top cabinets. That’s it for today. 收工了

Then it’s time to do some tap mixer shopping at Sim Siang Choon before dinner.



29th May (Mon)
No works today. The man asked “why not ask them to come over today?” Wah…he thinks everyone is at the beck of our call? 
It wasn’t possible too as Mondays are HBL for lil’ one (tho for this week and last week they were called back to school) and I’ve also put in one therapy session for her.
Wanted to drop by Muji after I sent lil’ one to school but che-che wasn’t feeling well and requested to go back home. 

Oh oh! C19 positive.

Lil’ one told me in the night that there’s no class in the morning tomorrow so she’ll only need to go in at 1pm. I left it to the man to help me. She was instructed to reach school at 11am as daddy needs to drop by the office. Thank goodness for his help. I however do think my girls are very very pampered lor! If he’s not in town, she will have no choice but to take bus on her own. 

T conveyed message from plumber and agreed something is missing (what?! I messaged T on Saturday and to quickly inform me what else to buy so I can get it ready by Tuesday)

30th May (Tue)
Guys came 1 1/2hr earlier at 10.30am. 

Drilling the two 6mm holes for the water filter. So I learnt they need to spray a special water before drilling stone. 

So I’m wondering why the carpenter guy on the 18th never helped to drill the other holes inside the cabinet for the water to go thru? Did he expect the water pipe to stick out of nowhere? So weird, really need me to 讲一句做一句吗? So now have to ask these nice guys to help me buy unfortunately the smallest drill they have is only 25mm. Sigh….. one big hole inside the cabinet no choice 了。I guess it’s a different kind of driller for stone n wood.

They finished the work in less than an hour. Cleaned the house and microwaved che-che’s lunch.
I finally had the chance to tinkle on the electone. Haha! After removing the protector sheets. Play for a short while also shiok 😆.

Close to 2pm, T asked me to take photo of the items we have at home. Again reiterated that something is missing. Haiyoh! Suppose to come today already plumber still harping on something is missing. Asked him to get whatever is needed before coming by so we can get everything all done by today. 

Time to wash the sofa covers. Should I bring them to the dryers later? Vacumned the sofa cushions and sofa using Dyson and the bed vacumn.  Really need to clean them coz I’m getting the itch myself too! 

Plumber came at 5.15pm and he didn’t get anything. Omg! 我的天啊‼️ Delay again! I need to quickly unpack the toiletries from the boxes and pack lil’ one’s luggage. He kept laughing at me when I mentioned about cockroaches. He didn’t believe me. It’s really frustrating, lately before reno works started we’ve seen a lot of cockroaches in the house. He said “真的有这么多?不可能。有你抓给我看、我会吃下去。” What will I gain lying about cockroaches in the house? 
Sad news is I can’t use the cup washer. Said the sintered stone is in the way. OMG! The stone guy said 可以可以。I even brought it out and showed him. Maybe I can check with the seller if the small square cup washer can fit or not, I’ll get that if I can. 

Can’t use the additional hose with anti-insect also. 
He also told me about the toilet sinks, unlikely can also fit in the anti-insect stopper I have. What?! Asked him if he wants to bring it with him so he can buy one that can fit. 是不是他不要帮我做好好?If the lady in the Instagram I follow can change her house toilet basins, why can’t I? Are the dimension for my basin more unique? 

Unpacked 3 boxes of kitchen items. I can only do it today after the stone people drill the holes in the kitchen. Hubby kept asking me to unpack so many days earlier but I can’t do anything, what if the items get dusty again after the guys start drilling the holes? 

Hubby brought the sofa covers to the dryer and put it back. 

Exhausted. I stopped unpacking at 9+, so tired so smelly so sticky. 


31st May (Wed)
Did the usual household chores. Time to handwash the floor mats, wanted to clean the fans but totally forgot about it.

Che-che’s still positive. I’m so tired coz she like bochap, will go to master toilet and common toilet. I have to keep my ears open to listen where she went to and go over to spray with Thieves or alcohol. Can’t have anyone down, especially lil’ one will also have her TPE trip soon. 

Took the time to unpack 6 boxes. As much as I’d like to unpack the cabinets as I wished, I simply can’t do it. I unpacked the boxes that is nearer to me. Takes a longer time to unpack as I need to wash the items before storage (items in the box doesn’t mean that dust didn’t collect inside k?) 
Aiyoh! The depth of the cabinets also got discount, can’t put some items back in. Sigh…

To keep airfryer or not?
The boxes closer are mainly the kitchen appliances and Thermomix accessories. So I was keeping them until I remembered the airfryer that is still on the dining table. Then coz I had to wash it before storage, I had to dig for the box where I put the sponge n cloths organizer drawer. For a moment I was so tempted to just junk it or maybe can donate to Salvation Army since I tend to put the food or snacks in the oven now instead of airfryer. 要拿空气炸锅也很麻烦、must always dig and take out things to reach for the back.

The cabinet is really filled to the brim. 
The bottom pull out is also smaller now, I really struggled to put my WMF pots. I got rid of the 2 metal ikea bowl too! I’ll probably find a smaller glass bowl next time? I had an impulsive thought one day and wanted to change my WMF pots to Modori cookware, all stackable and so compact BUT it’s definitely not suitable for a family. I can’t even do 2.5cups of fried rice in it! 

Cannot organize 不能整理 so just threw in respective cabinets first

(a) teabags drawer. The segregation strips is otw so threw the teabags inside the drawer first. Can the man stop buying so many teabags? Buy Rooiboos so long already also haven’t drink? Keep buying and buying and then start throwing in the crockeries cabinet, whereas I’m the only one who only buy when I run out. So who’s the hoarder?  

(b)under the sink cabinet as I do not have any organizers, I discarded my old one. Need to re-organize the items there anyway as I decided to put the knife and cutting boards below so as to keep the kitchen top neat. 

(c) laundry room. I’m waiting for 1 organizer. Needed to drop by Muji to get 2 other boxes which I had intended to do it on Monday but ….

Hubby took over picking up lil’ one from school so I can unpack. 

And I saw 6 small cockroaches while unpacking today. Che-che screamed when she saw one baby in the common toilet. Told you it’s from the drain. The existing anti-insect thing is really useless! Seems like there’s an infestation downstairs. Really fed up with this problem. No matter how clean I keep the house, they can just crawl in from the sewage pipes or from yard n PES. Didn’t the plumber say he’ll eat it? 

All that’s left for now 


wanted to put the laundry bags back to original position but first to settle this WM drainage point. OMG! cannot fit. I shall tape the pipe back with masking tape and ask the plumber tomorrow.

Things I hope to do tomorrow

(1) I hope I can unpack the rests of the 5 kitchen boxes tomorrow. Maybe I should leave the 2 toilets (in total 3 boxes) to the man to help me, they’re all very easy anyway. All items are boxed up, all he needs to do is to stack them into the cabinets 
(2) dust the yard walls, sliding window louvres 
(3) Scrub the yard flooring and then re-seal the 2 drainage area. The yard area is so dusty, 受不了

Showered at 9pm. 
I need to finish everything asap coz 
(a) I need to help lil’ one pack her luggage. 
Her room is in a terrible mess now with the laundry rack, a temporary basket where we put the toothbrush and toiletries items inside, the 2 laundry bags
(b) need to do hotel bookings for our upcoming Japan trip

1st June (Thu)
Did a quick magic clean around the house and sat on the Empress Dowager throne. Wow! Seems like a long time ago I sat here, goes to show how much delay there was. 

9.39am - electricians came
9.44am - plumber came. Told him he should eat 6 cockroaches 🪳. 😂 
In the meantime, I will do my hotel bookings. 
Sad news is I can’t even use the anti-insect thingy at all, 浪费钱!Can only use the mesh thingy which can prevent stray hairs from flowing into the pipe. Maybe I should find in Taobao again. 

10.20am - plumber left. Before he left, I asked him about the washing machine. Can’t use that also, he removed the anti-insect and just used the seal. OMG! Seems like things from Taobao cannot be used here 🤔? 
He kept saying “only cockroaches what? Scared of what?” Either he hasn’t seen so many if he doesn’t live on the first floor OR he can live with cockroaches crawling around him. We can’t! We’ve been spotting little ones in the toilets of late. 

10.30am - electricians left

Unpacked master toilet, put laundry rack back. Heck lah! Get it out of lil’ one’s room first. I may scrub the yard floor another day. 
Was a little distracted 😆 with the dehumidifier products I bought as wanted to put one in the toilets cabinets. My plan was to get the master toilet ready, scrub the floor then 

12.18pm - Glass people came. Yay! So now can kapo what company (agdoor). Same people who came by to dismantle, Aunty cannot rmbr. 
So now just sit down here and relax after ordering Grab. I can’t do much except to edit this blog entry and look at the hotels che-che selected for the upcoming Japan trip. 

Seems like they are having trouble installing back the glass. Lil’ one got them a can of Coke each. Oh! For the record, lil’ one took bus home from school herself coz che-che can’t leave home. 



2.10pm : While the guys are struggling with the glass, I scrubbed the master toilet floor. 

3.38pm : balcony cleared! I’m still unpacking but I’ll just bring the rests down to recycling bin myself. After tons of trips to the recycling bin from all my online shopping the last 6-7boxes is sup sup suay 😜. The guys swept the floor for me but I did a rinse and fill up the dried water feature water. Ah nia no energy to Dettol scrub the floor, maybe tomorrow or maybe the next day or maybe weeks later? Really exhausting when I’m the only one covering all tasks. 


头脑分散。Want to clear the kitchen boxes yet I haven’t really finished with the master toilet. Haha! Did a bit of kitchen then went to unpack the common toilet’s cabinet since hubby just got home and he helped to put the master toilet stuffs back. 

Clearing dining table
Cleaned the fridge top, lay the clear protector sheet and a customised metal rack. Made the man carry the microwave up for me. 
Washed the Thermomix cover, cleaned the sliding board and machine and brought it to the kitchen 

An achievement today, cleared 3 boxes of items for the two toilets and 4 kitchen boxes. I’m left with 1 more box - the bento stuffs that I want to keep and the Sanrio cups. 

So thankful the medicine box is only 2-3mm taller, so I just pushed the rack upwards. Haha! Pls remind me not to put anything heavy in the top cabinet. I don’t have to source for medicine box in Taobao anymore. 
The plasters are not meant to be there, I was just so tired so left it there first until I get to open the bomb shelter.
Top shelf is empty. This side of the cabinet is bigger than original as the hood now is only 60cm (downsize from 90cm). I used to put the travel medicine box up there, which I brought it down now as I need to pack into lil’ one’s luggage.

Middle part where the hood “chimney” is. Originally it was a longer cabinet space but now I have this zhor-teng thing in the middle and it’s 30cm shorter. I couldn’t put the instant noodles here whether with the organization box or not 


The (used to) sauce cabinet + canned items used to be here. It’s now longer (thanks to the small hood) but depth wise is slightly lesser thus I have problem putting my sauce holder vertically now. 
Why does it seem I have lesser sauce items here? 😅
I could have transferred the instant noodles here but I’ll have problem storing my cookie cutters n barang barangs. 

Instant noodles kept here. Not sure if it’s a feasible place but … will also have problem storing in one of the 4 cubes space. Who will reach all the way in for whatever flavours that is hidden behind? 
This space may not be a good idea but … oh well I need to clear the boxes in the yard. I’ll play musical chair with my pantry next time.

Again this space looks quite empty now. I didn’t clear much what? Still have my AP flour, bread flour, whey protein isolate, keto pantry, sugar, brown sugar etc… what is missing? But having lots more space is good news right? 
A funny thing happened when I cut open the baking pantry boxes. I let out a scream when I saw brown spots on the box flap. It’s not cockroach eggs but Oreo crumbs! Oh my, why did I put it there of all places?

Changed the cork board to this now, more aesthetic looking and easier to clean if there’s spillage too.


Very tired! It’s the 3rd day where I’ve taken only one shower in a day. Decided to call it a night at 10.51pm. Clearing 7 boxes is no easy feat. 

Laundered extra table cloths and tea towels will be packed into the plastic drawer tomorrow. My family members better don’t complain about the mess here, if not I will gladly make them unpack the items themselves





No comments: