Wednesday, August 27, 2008

School Closure - Day 1

Day 1 of insanity + constant drilling/hammering upstairs

I could have just spent the time 'drilling' her with heaps of assesment books + music but I decided the night before to bake with her.
I decided too (at the very last minute) to ask if Susanna minds me kidnapping her child, Jachelle, over to my place. She didn't mind but was so paiseh to want to bring her home at 4pm. Ai yoh...that woman huh, I volunteered to help her take care of her and then get her ready / shower her @ my place before going for their music lesson. In the end, she gave in to my persistence. ( I hope I wasn't a nuisance)
Anyway, with the go-ahead. I quickly embarked on preparing the fondant, the chocolate plastique & shortbread dough the night before (not sure if have enough time to bake cookies but I had them prepared anyway). And since it was only Jachelle and Athena, I didn't have to prepare any other things. No need to prepare food, just ta-bao food home.

Went over to pick her up in the morning, Athena gladly swallowed her pancakes fast to go out with me. Poor mei-mei, couldn't come out with me and she was >> Crying!

Reached home and the children had their lunch-chicken rice. I wonder why S said J is naughty? She's so well-behaved. On the contrary, my sumseng giah was dancing while eating and J had to tell her "Athena! sit down to eat." Hmmm.............looks like I've got another mini-mummy. J finished her meal so much faster and cleaned up everything. While Athena needs the constant "tape recorder mummy" -me to tell her "hurry up, eat finish your lunch."

Time : 11+ going to 12pm. Children put on their apron, Aricia included. But she can't bake, she can't do anything so she'll be the supervisor! She sat on the high chair @ dining table and looked at them.

2 of them can read so got them to read the recipe for me. Did the measurements on my scale (non-digital) so a little difficult to read. And - just the beginning and Athena has to make me angry! I let them take turns to prepare one stuff each. J- sugar, A-flour, J - water. At this time I realise it was awkward for J to stand on the floor so I brought out the stool to let her stand. Immediately that "cannot lose out girl" - no need to mention who started to turn grouchy and said "not fair, she can stand 2 times. I stand 1 time only!" when I told her she can stand there next. See lah! So selfish!! Then she refused to participate which got me aggitated and I shouted at her. Can you imagine? A playdate that is suppose to be fun, I had to scold her? I was pissed and told her "if you don't want to do this, then go to your room, I shall bake with J alone. Go now!"

The children mix the butter with the dry things, for that she started to cheer up and they took turns each. Really funny to see them passing the whisk to each other "(whip 5 seconds) nah your turn!" I can't be bothered whether over-whisking will made the cuppie taste too soft or awful - it's the children's job (anyway not like over-whisking will cause it to curd and turn into butter - that was my nightmare!). While they were whisking, I took time to quickly clean the table and wash the bowls. (FYI: when I bake I really don't leave everything to my helper to clean/wash. I do it myself coz she has to help me take care of Aricia. And I hate mess!) Oh! might ask me why I didn't use my 'aid' - since I have two child labour to help me, why not? Anyway it'd be more fun for them to do everything themselves.

Hmm.... shan't say anymore. It's all very straight-forward. So photo time!!

Aricia barely slept for half an hour when we got back, she refused to sleep thereafter. I was then told she slept very early at 8pm - totally knocked out!
Before baking - the aspiring bakers free child labour with the 'cannot make it' chef guiding them. Playing around with the whisk and bowl
J and A taking turns

J needed more help from me coz she dunno how to use the rolling pin and she wanted to do it her own style - I let her be. She tells me which cuppie she wants - she took the nicest one - flower. And which one is for her mummy, daddy, kor-kor Ian, kor-kor Caleb.

(picture : last row)That tiara was done by my girl, A. It's nice until she greedily threw in 100s & 1000s until she covered it.
(middle picture) J's works, I helped her with the flower cuppie.
(last pic) A's works, the girl was done by me. I totally forgot about the chocolate plastique. OMG! They would have loved that.
A comment by J while she was decorating the cuppies, she didn't look @ me in the eyes while saying this, "my mummy never bake with me." I asked her "Next time if aunty bakes again, do you want to join us?" She nods her head and answered "yes". You know how I felt when she said that? My heart sunk and I almost teared. (emotional!) Read next post
The children @ play while the cuppies in oven (before decorating), took shots; cleaned the place up. Goash! That's the thing about baking - the place is dirty everywhere.
They didn't bake cookies, but I took a small dough to bake Hello Kitty for J. The remaining, I did the chocolate chip in the night.

Brought the children to Sakae for dinner. It's so easy when you have a child who eats practically everything. Look at my spoilt girl, should send her to Africa!


Susanna joined us later and she picked the tab - heehee! - she has points to redeem.

The day ended with quite an emotional high, Athena had a de-briefing from me. I wasn't pleased with her behaviour.

No comments: