Monday, June 2, 2008

What is your definition of 'Holiday'?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia says :

The words holiday or vacation have related meanings in different English-speaking countries and continents, but will usually refer to one of the following activities or events:


My definition of a holiday is to see as much as I can in a country, which means I always 'chiong' like there's no tomorrow. For me, a sightseeing freak, places of interest are places which I will cover. And in my holiday planning, it's like those organised tours kind, just that we do it our way and our time. In the end, usually we do have to get up early too to start the tour for the day. That also explains why then I will go for cheaper hotels or B&Bs since I'll only need it in the night.

This time round we felt we were more exhausted with 2 kids, one who is old enough to know what's going on & kept challenging/taunting us until we scream and scold her. The other who is so playful and knows what she wants - throws tantrum when you carry her away & worst still - the feeding problem.
She felt that things would ease when the children are old enough to take care of themselves, but then it also means that they have minds of their own and everyone might end up doing different things. And that's when my talk with mum came about, I cited that every one has a different definition of their holiday. Some defines it as "own time, own target, nothing to do, just think when we're there." Some would rather rent a house or apartment and vegetate inside, only going out to grocery-shop in supermarkets and they'll cook in the house or apartment. And throughout their holiday is to eat, sleep, watch TV, read or whatever they've brought along with them. Well, my definition calls for more 'on the go' kind, 'take as many photos to put in album' kind.

Perhaps my definition of a holiday will change once I'm old and can't walk much. But I still think it'll be nice to have a R&R holiday in the nearby countries once in awhile, so as not to give myself high-blood pressure from all the planning and late nights.

I couldn't believe myself when I told hubby "maybe we should try to go Club Med one day, throw the kids somewhere they have activities for children." Will we go? I don't know since we both don't really like the sun or do those sun/sea/sand activities.

So, share with me. What's your definition of a holiday?

No comments: