Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Athena / Study matters

Over the weekend, I brought out one blocks game for her to play. I tried a different method this time, used the stopwatch to test her timing in fixing up the blocks according to the picture given. It got her all worked up; she tried to move fast and she was 'kalang kabok' - hee! Torturing my daughter.
Seeing how slow she was then to take out the blocks from the box to place them, I taught her the "see; think ahead; take" actions. It is really fun, all I did was to flip the card over and she has to glance & quickly take out the number of yellow blocks; as she's doing that to look at the number of red blocks and take them out etc.. and she was having so much fun with the game. I call it the 赌神 training. Dunno, maybe I was hoping to trigger off her mind to be very active. She's so ah-nia.

Today, I went through with her Long Vowels a (a-e, ai, ay) for her phonics. I find Letterland's Phonics really good, it taught me ways to see and read the words.
For a-e (eg. words like gate, made), the story goes like this : the e is the magic e where it can make the vowel infront says its name. So the word 'gate' reads as "Geh (g) A (a) te (t).
Words like ai has a story too, Vowels Out Walking. When two vowels man are out walking, the first man does the talking; the first man says his name. So 'ai' is read as 'a'. Interesting huh? There's alot of nice comments about Zoo Phonics too, but I'm not going to complicate matter for myself, I shall stick to one.
From now till end of year, I've combined her phonics with card games and interactive games on the lappie. Frankly speaking, she has no problem reading. Infact, I'm very pleased with her reading ability.

After her phonics, and a quick revision of her piano - where thankfully she played beautiful music so it ended fast, I brought out RGPS P1 paper to let her try. I left her alone to do the paper for 40 mins and I marked, she scored 80% for that paper. Well done!
Oh yes! One question she made a silly mistake - a tadpole becomes a goat?? I remember I have it bookmarked in my lappie, found it : Click here. Looks like I gotta print this out fast to teach her now.

Needs to be pushed
Hubby a week ago commented this after I kept complaining about me having to ask her to practise piano. "ask her to practise the piano on her own lah!"
"If only it was that easy! Ai yah, don't talk about piano! Basic thing on brushing teeth, she needs to be pushed; reminded; nagged. You think she'll practise the piano?"

Earlier on, they were showing SuperKids and this 10yr-old girl is so smart and ........her parents didn't have to push her or her elder sister. Call me suay! I have to keep pushing my children until I fall into my own grave.

No comments: