Saturday, November 22, 2008

Athena's 6 : Family celebration

Just a few days ago, on Thursday, I received an sms from hubby that his family are not coming for the party. And I've already done some preparations!!!!

I didn't bake finally, I wanted to do a strawberry cake with a minnie mouse piped picture and wafer sticks around the square cake & prepared fondant flowers to decorate her name. In the end....

And so, the walls were bare. We didn't put much decorations up but menu was planned. And I've ordered some foodstuffs from Lee Wee Brothers. I quickly cancelled the order. My fridge was full, I cleared and passed some fruits to mom.

Frankly, I was rather sore about the whole thing coz' I had planned to separate this party as they usually feel so out of place at my childrens' parties. And I can't "zhao dai" them.. So, I thought a family celebration would be a good idea for some nice chat and homely feel. But what to do?? So I asked my brother and sister for their ideas coz' it'll means it's going to be them and dad. (mom can't come coz' she can't move around). I don't mind them coming coz' Athena would enjoy their company.. but then ...okay, I cancelled the whole thing. Feels weird coz' in my mind I know I am suppose to be busy but I'm so free all of a sudden. And I was itching to do something.

This morning, Athena didn't ask me about the party. Then... at 12+, my SIL and MIL came!!!! Wah...........no proper hosting, I feel so paiseh.........hubby ordered pizza. Pizza?!?! I quickly baked a simple chocolate cake - something which don't require butter- with pitted cherries. Suppose to be a blackforest cake but since I didn't decorate it the way it usually looked, I shall call it my chocolate cake.
Messy! Quick job, no time to coat the cake properly. Infact my crumbcoating was horribly done! Thank goodness I had some Mickey and Minnie Mouse chocolate which I stuck on the cake, placed some raspberry gummy on the cake. And who cares! Now I've got a Minnie Mouse cake for her. That made her happy.

Mei-mei refused to get up coz' she was really weary. And so we sang the birthday song without her. Just as we were to sing the song again in mandarin, she made some noise in her cot and we rushed to bring her out. Hilarious!









The house was quiet after they left. I was really tired, took my "unusual" afternoon nap.

If not for the fact that I had decided to do her party outside this year, today my house would have been bustling with noise - something that I love (love to host parties) but it's so quiet...
I said this many times, "this is going to be her last year to do a party", but I'm afraid I'll be the idiot suggesting to her next year.

No comments: