Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Idiots who don't understand the campaign

I just can't believe it - The number of idiots Singapore has!!

Train down to Orchard yesterday as would be spending more than 6 hours there.

Usually I would prefer to push the stroller up the escalator. But now that I'm pregnant, I'd not want to strain myself. So as the campaign puts it across, people who needs it more - elderly, wheelchair passengers and those with strollers- to use the lift. Then what happens when I'm there waiting for the lift? Bloody assholes who are able-bodied people made their way to the lift as well and actually went into the lift while I had the right of way. And I had to wait for the next lift.

Well, I'm a person who will speak my mind. I spoke so loudly to my girl before the lift door closes. "I just don't understand why some people are so lazy to use the escalators when WE - the people being encouraged to use lifts had to wait for the next lift."One guy was with me, well it's justifiable that he uses the lift coz' he was dragging a bag and was holding onto a garment bag and another file in his hand (looked like lawyer to me). He smiled at me when he heard what I said. And mind you he was a gentleman. He held onto the lift door for me; let me get in. And the lift buttons was so his side; held the button for me to get out. Good people deserves credit, I thanked him for his help and as usual would ask girl to thank whoever holds the door for us. Honestly speaking, I think it's the good SIA culture we have when we underwent training. We greeted everyone Good morning; afternoon etc.. and thanked people when they hold the door for us; and we hold the doors for people. Sometimes, it teaches us initiatives when we see people who needs help eg. ladies pushing strollers struggling to carry stroller up/down the steps. And you see many men walking about not helping. So I must thank SIA for this culture that was instilled in me since.

But then again, think of it. I better not say I was an SIA girl- coz' I speak my mind if I'm rather pissed.

Don't be mistaken, I'm not saying that the lifts can only be utilised by the people who needs it more. Ordinary people can use it too, but give way to those who needs it more.

*******************************************************************************
Still harping on the lift issue...

In the evening was in the lift with girl (without stroller) in Plaza Singapura. Girl likes to press the button for people. So when we got in, there was this young couple with their maid and infant in stroller in it. The lift went up to the 6th floor, girl held onto the lift door. What shocked me was the lack of gentleman-ness that father has!! I wouldn't have mind if the mother and maid pushed the infant out. But that guy saw her holding onto the lift (and mind you, it was a little girl) walked out as if he deserved it. And never attempt to hold on the door.

Then the " possessed spirit" suddenly came into my body and I said "Thank you Athena for holding onto the door. It's very nice and kind of you but some people just don't appreciate it by holding the door for a small little girl. " Yup! That caught the attention of the young couple but they scared shit and walked away.

Am I being too much? I think I've mentioned about some nice people I've met along the way. But majority of Singaporeans are selfish people, they don't want to give but expect to take. And how they are suppose to show their children manners? I don't know........maybe that's why my girl tends to hear alot of "speeches" from me when I teach her the value of life. Maybe that's why I tell people that bringing up a child is not easy, but to them they find it easy.

Let me share with you what I've seen in Prague. Everytime I get onto a train, I observe what the Czechs did. An old woman or someone who needs the seat more can get to choose where she wants to sit. Why? It's not that there are designated seats in the trains. But once a person walks in You observe...... at least 5 people would stand up to give up their seats. So, can I say that the person has a choice to choose where he/she wants to sit. And not only that, I observed a 60+ standing up to give up her seat to a 70+ man. Should we feel ashamed? Singaporeans all only pretend to fall asleep in the train. Even now, they see a pregnant lady (me) they don't automatically stand up to give up their seat. Once, an old man even stood up to give in to me but I thanked and declined his offer saying that he needs it more than me. I hope I have put those people sitting around him to shame. Sad to say.... they are all so thick-skinned. By then I'm almost reaching my station.

No comments: