Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Methods to sun a jaundiced baby

Had a great laugh today when mom related the story of our neighbour (in Tampines) actually brought out her few days old granddaughter to "sun" under the hot afternoon sun.
The funny part was mom said "I went out to the corridor to sun my keropok and ikan bilis. So happened they opened the door and brought out the grandson. Imagine keropok, ikan bilis one side; baby another side."
I wonder if you remember many years ago, there was a headline news of a man trying to sun his few days old baby on a plank; supported by bamboo poles. Parents in an anxiety to help their children; never think of consequences.
In the case of our neighbour, although they carried the baby in an outstretched arms. But mom said baby girl's eyes were opened. They should have covered her eyes.


I am not an expert when it comes to sunning a jaundiced baby. But this is what I found out from my PD when my girl had relatively high level of jaundice when she was born.
1. Indirect sunlight (not direct sunlight)
2. 10-15 minutes each session. Do it twice a day
3. Cover eyes
4. Don't have to let baby lie on back, can lie on the sides.

No comments: