Monday, April 17, 2006

This set me thinking if I should introduce Western festivities

I think next year I will do this Easter thingy again. Maybe should be abit more hardworking by letting her do her own egg painting. And let the two kids find the eggs. (younger one should be 7 months.. and crawling?) No guess for who the winner will be - the one who can walk and find things faster.

Yet again, sometimes I really wonder why we do not have any intersting and fun occasions like in the Western countries. The only festivity that we Chinese look forward to is Lunar New Year, and that is only interesting for the younger kids (not fun anymore when you gotta dig your pocket for money to give away)

I liked the idea of kids going trick or treating during Halloween. Well, based on the scenerio in Singapore. Let me tell you although kids will be able to get more sweets with the high concentration of residents staying in a block. But they will end up with less, coz' sad to say Singaporeans 'don't greet their neighbours. They close their door and hide inside the house, as if some aliens are coming after them. (but not my business.. they want to suffocate themselves in there). And I don't know if I'm right but I've seen how unfriendly, uncultured and selfish Singaporeans can be. So Halloween is out of the idea. My poor girl may only end up with sweets from my family.
On the part about Halloween, I was very excited when we were in US last October. Coz' I was hoping for a chance to see Halloween in celebration itself. Our trip entails alot of driving (no present for guessing who's the driver. I was the one who gets to entertain girl behind and to enjoy the scenery and not forgetting be the navigator.) we saw many houses with the Halloween decorations up. Some were plain; some were interesting. But alas! We were so pressed for time we couldn't stop to take any pictures. But maybe our luck were not there, we only passed by houses in the evenings and how clear can that be, and in the daytime- we were usually on the Interstate Highway. Somewhere near to where Richard (our friend lives) there is a house where they did very intensive decorations. I remember seeing graveyards, a Frankenstein and some other eerie looking things. I asked hubby to drop by that place the next morning to take some snapshots before we head off in the opposite direction but he refused. So much for sportmanship! But somehow I'm glad I have my brother's pictures to share. Brother was in the US at about the same time as us but he had to head for training in Ohio, so we didn't get a chance to meet up.
Thank you brother for your photos. Click here

I like the way Christmas is celebrated too. Snow falling and carols echo in the air. I was lucky I spent my first White Christmas in New York in 1995. But I wouldn't mind if it snows here.

Hubby will sure say "you chinese leh. Want to be ang-moh..."

I think I was born in the wrong country.

No comments: