Thursday, August 16, 2018

Eclipse on 28th July - drafted on 30th July #lateposting#

Got the best treat of eclipse sighting over in Singapore for the second time this year. This July 28th eclipse can only be seen in certain parts of the world.

In Jan, the moon was not within our sight. I drove the girls out to the big open carpark. Not really an ideal place with the lights around us but it was a school day, we couldn't go far even if I had wanted to. It wasn't ideal to dump them alone at home while I drive to somewhere darker [In Singapore?? How much darker can we get? Pollution Ranks #1 here]. I have a girl (younger) who wasn't really patient and interested and kept asking if she could go home. The only happy souls are the mozzies - we provided food for them. 

Coincidently, hubby wasn't in town for both occasions. The siao wife will go outside and cheat on him with the moon. Haha!

Checked days before to see the rotational axis, glad that this time the moon will swing by infront of me until some time. 

Took lots of pics but outcome is not as good as those I see posted by the pros. I'm nowhere close to their standard coz my telephoto lens isn't as good as theirs. 
My telescope is as good as a rubbish coz it doesn't have equatorial mount so I gotta keep moving. In the end, I gave up on the telescope and zoomed in with my telephoto lens.

When I'm richer or maybe when and if I have the chance to live elsewhere, I'll invest in a better telescope.  


I managed to sight the full eclipse at 4.21am. At that moment I was cranning my neck coz it was partially blocked by a block. I managed to take pictures but they were too grainy. Looks almost like this picture below. As I zoomed into my own pictures, I saw stars too!

Next 2 pictures are taken from Singapore Sidewalk Astronomy FB page


Picture taken from The Astronomical Society of Singapore



Time and date of next eclipse :
https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/singapore/singapore
July 16 2019 : https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2019-july-16
Dec 26 2019 : https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/singapore/singapore?iso=20191226

No comments: