Saturday, August 25, 2018

Cabin Crew

I left in 2002. It wasn’t an easy job but it was a job I loved. 

This job didn’t just teach me to serve, this job taught me safety and first aid. Above all things it taught me life lessons that I couldn’t get in any office job, what more the lessons comes internationally 😜. If I had a chance, I would do it all over again. 

As a mom now, I understand where the stewardess’s mom is coming from. She’d worry over the safety of her precious daughter. My mom was always there for me. She waited with me for the cab downstairs and waited for me downstairs patiently even at odd timings for goodness knows how long when I arrived back home and cook something for me while I unpack. I used to think she watched over me like a hawk but now I’m a condor over my girls. She would always lit up joss sticks and pray for my safety, usually asking for my flight time so she knew which joss sticks (long or short) to burn. And believe it or not, I’ve been kept safe those years. I had a few narrow escapes , things happening in those countries a day or 2 after I touched down in SIN. That’s 母爱. Thanks mummy Irene Ma! 
Everytime I arrived back home, she wasn’t looking forward to the cream puff from Narita (anyway that shop is no longer there) or 🍎 strudel from Perth (and the list goes on), all she wanted to see was her daughter safe and sound. Food and snacks are just bonus for her. 

So before you think about making life difficult and fusing too much over our SQ service and praising other airlines (which honestly I had no idea how those airlines got those awards coz ..I didn’t have friendly and helpful staffs around. Worst! I would have died in the plane if I had pressed the attendant call bell. As what we would usually say “Christmas lights in the cabin”. Trust me I’ve seen their Christmas lights illuminated for a long time, probably until CNY then they’ll answer you. SQ crew is still faster) think - all those airlines copied our ideas for seats and service. Best thing the crew are not even present in the cabin as often as SQ crew, I wonder how pax voted them to have the friendly cabin crew award. SQ crew stay in the galley, confirm you’ll get awards every year.

Treat and respect crew as they are someone else’s children just like you are your parents’ child. They chose this job for whatever reasons, so don’t fuss over little things and then behave so well on other airlines. 
   
If pilot say cannot land means we cannot land, don’t throw your tantrum at the cabin crew over your connecting flight. I’m sorry if you had to miss your million dollars $$$ meeting coz we might be meeting God if pilot tries to land. 

If run out of your meal choice, be kind. They have no control over the rests of the pax preferences. It’s a crew nightmare if they had to deal with one pax who insist on eating that damn chicken. Go vegan better still! It’s good to detox once in a while. Eating simple on board is the best. Anyway I always have no appetite on board so I don’t understand how some can eat a huge cow and keep eating. As long as I have my bottle of water and the 3 important things from aircraft I need - pillows, blanket and earpiece and I’ll be happy. 

Almost everyone is a frequent flyer, you would know when they have the drink or meal service. Please go to the toilet before that and not when the crew pushes out the cart then you start walking to the toilet. Everyone seems to have bladder problem onboard SQ but not on other airlines. I’m not joking! Maybe it’s the air freshener [haha! How we ex-crew rmbr the aircraft smell] causing bladder problem? 

If the crew seems stuck up and not talking to you during take-off and landing, don’t complain. They’re just running through in their mind safety drills should any emergency arises. They’re the only ones to get you out safely. And this has to be refreshed every year. Re-test when they fail and too bad taken off the next flight until ready to flap their wings. There are cabin crews who have been flying longer than the time I got my driving licence. When I got my driving licence, I didn’t have to go back for refresher course yearly. My driving licence more atas looking than the SEP card (crew licence to fly), yet again don't underestimate that ugly looking piece of SEP card. In order to get that piece of paper (which I think my goodie bags tags are also better looking) think about the drills they had to go thru yearly - the huge waves they had to swim when they probably hadn’t stepped into a calm pool for the longest time; the fire melting their makeup as they fight the fire; seeing the unfaithful dummy who has many lovers kissing and massaging him. 

Don’t look grumpy infront of crew when you couldn’t sleep coz of a baby crying coz they should be the ones to be grumpy - they had a hard time pleasing both sides. They’re even more tired than you coz while you were sleeping, they were awake. You can sleep for 8-10hrs but they can only sleep for 2-3hrs as they fly thru the same time zone as you. 

Oh! Lastly please don’t comment “this stewardess/steward is late for flight” coz there are days when they are called up at really last minute to cover someone else without time for mental preparation and they gotta report to aircraft straightaway. I got this before, almost wanted to do a Miss Singapore wave to them for the recognition I get .... and halfway through the flight I was still trying to recall what’s that CS or LSS in first class name and the rests of the crew. Seems rude but had to stare at their chest first before talking to them (looking at name tag)

From The Straits Times on 25th August 2018
Before 10am: SIA air stewardess up bright and early to ensure a pleasant flight
https://www.straitstimes.com/videos/up-bright-and-early-to-ensure-a-pleasant-flight?xtor=CS1-10

No comments: