Sunday, January 29, 2023

My first taste of マーボー豆腐 (麻婆豆腐)

One would have thought I would have eaten a wide spread of food with a good chef (mom) at home. 

Strangely, I had my first 麻婆豆腐 in Nagoya during my first year of flying. And all the while I thought it was a Japanese food 😂. Everytime I’m in Nagoya, I’ll eat that. Eating with gravy mixed on the white fluffy rice. Just like eating my karaage chicken don in Narita village. Haha! 

I’ve never had Japanese 麻婆豆腐 for the longest time, I tried getting the boxed one from J-Mart but it taste horrible.  the ones I eat are the Sichuan style. 

I finally had the chance to eat it in Kumamoto, in a Chinese Japanese restaurant. The hot tofu and mince meat warmed my tummy on the cold winter day. I really miss this taste. 

This somehow got me thinking I can’t seem to find any Japanese restaurant in Singapore selling this. So what’s the difference between the Chinese and Japanese style? 

CHINESE 

The classic recipe is made with simmered silken tofu flavored with ground pork or beef, fermented bean paste (douban and douchi), chili oil, and Sichuan peppercorns.

JAPANESE

mabo dofu in Japan includes miso, mirin or sugar, sesame oil, oyster sauce, and occasionally sake.

Most distinctly, Japanese mabo dofu doesn’t include any chili or Sichuan peppercorn. 


No comments: