Wednesday, October 4, 2006

She's finally a known child

Finally! After 16 days, our little princess has an official name in the eyes of the law. (otherwise she's always known as D/O of Lily Ann)

Went for my postnatal check today (again, last one was on Monday) coz' of the unexplained bleeding I got from my scars. After which, I decided to do the Birth Registration for her near the Admissions Counter.

Just last night too, Master Tan's staffs faxed over the choices of Aricia's chinese names. Alas! The one- who always failed chinese and barely got a C6 for my GCE O-kindda stared hard at the words and don't even know the meaning of the words. Hubby can't help me much, mom tried but said alot of words have added strokes to make it more suitable for naming children. We were given 5 middle names and 5 last names, which we can do a match up to 25 names. Choosing a name is a difficult decision, coz' we do not want our child to be ridiculed at in school or at work, we wanted a nice name (who wouldn't) for little Aricia. When it came to the middle name, it was an undiscussed agreement that we both like the word 诗 which we had wanted for Athena's name but the strokes didn't permit. So, we were finally left with 5 choices, 2 of which didn't sound right. Hubby likes 2 names " 诗霖" & " 诗洁". I thought both are nice names but I translated the 霖 in the chinese dictionary as "long spell of rain, copious rain"- when I said that I mimicked the action of crying and immediately he knew what I meant - afterall in 2 weeks already we've seen how much she's been crying to get her ways.

(although I had another name in mind) we then struggled how to name 诗洁 in dialect. Hubby is a Foochew, obviously we didn't know how to translate name into Foochew when he hardly speaks the language. We used our "smart" brains to name our two children - in our own ways.
陳诗洁 became Ting See Jie; Ting Si Jie and hubby came up with Ting Si Jung (huh? I went "clock?"- too far from it) and Ting Si Jay. Very difficult! Hubby then went to sleep & left the dirty job to me. I finally thought of "Tze" I did a search in the internet and seems ShiJie sounds like a manly name, although they use different characters. But otherwise how to name her ? Aricia Ting Tze Chieu? Sounds even more manly!
What was the other name I had in mind? 璇. I thought it sounded feminine but I didn't know the meaning at all. But thanks to the internet for helping me with the translation - 璇 means beautiful jade;star. Aha! Dialect name would sound nicer too - either Shuan or Shuen. Real crazy! We're not Cantonese but the idiot mummy can name her child with a Cantonese name. So now I have to tell hubby the other option in the morning.
He agrees with the name that I liked. I dunno if he really likes it or kindda give up with the naming decision. He could have thought "better start naming her so that my wife can stop bugging me."

At the counter, I submitted and we got her birth certificate bearing the name :-

ARICIA TING TZE SHUEN 陳诗璇

Come to think of it... shouldn't it be Tse Shuen? Tze sounds like Zhi.


PS: Just if you were wondering how we named Athena. Her chinese name is 陳昭绫, we could have named her Ting ZhaoLing coz it still sounded okay, but hubby suggested we could use his sister's 'Chow' which we thought it did rhyme. So our 老大 proudly calls herself " I am Athena Ting Chow Ling" (and we always disturb her Ting Chow Chow- smelly smelly)

No comments: