Saturday, February 4, 2023

Keeping to my promise



I’ve never done a promise so big, IMO it is. I made a promise to Buddha that if lil’ one did well to go to the course she wants, I’ll go vegetarian for a week and once I resumed keto I’ll abstain from beef for 2 weeks. (Honestly abstaining from beef for 2 weeks is easier coz I don’t really like beef in the first place.)

Yah, this is like the longest time since I’m off keto 😬. I’m already feeling lethargic and feeling very fat all over. 

Should have started the vegetarian the moment she received her results in December. (She did much much better than expected and though initially we were aghast with the RGS standard for her desired course, we are glad she made it with good results.) But I couldn’t start immediately as we were on holiday and it’s not easy for me to keep track. Then Christmas rolled by; CNY came next month. Buddha can forgive me right? As long as I keep to my promise, sure can forgive me. 

I think I can handle it? Afterall it means just eat vegetables, tofu and fruits n mushrooms. Things I like, things not as restrictive as keto. One week only so I can definitely tahan. 加油!I never knew how stressed I was over being on vegetarian diet for a week has caused me 😅, that I had a dream where I accidentally ate some meat and I was flabbergasted over it and said I will need to extend one more day. 

I was thinking when should I start, then thought the earlier the better so I can re-start my keto too. My rings are getting too tight for my finger and jeans tighter too. 

On 26th (Thursday), I suddenly remembered that I can’t use oyster sauce and fish sauce for sure so went NTUC to get a small bottle of mushroom vegetarian sauce. I suppose I’m ready to rock n roll.  

Started my vegetarian journey on 29th (Sunday)

29th Jan 

Lunch - vegetarian bee Hoon 

Dinner - Cooked some lettuce to mix with the extra vegetarian kuey chap ingredients hubby kept for me. Cham! Got egg! Should I eat? Is egg considered vegetarian? Sounds silly but I did a Google search before I smash the egg with my fork. 

Got this from Quora : Chicken eggs are not animals, they are an animal product. Some people are strict enough that they will eat only unfertilized eggs.

To eat no animals products at all is to be vegan, not vegetarian.

I know S eats eggs, so heck lah I will eat eggs also. Otherwise 真的没东西吃。There’s a vegetarian restaurant opposite us, worst come to worst pack from there lor.. 

also think if normal stalls. Can I just eat vegetables from a chap chye stall? Which probably uses the same ladle to fry fish, pork and chicken dishes? I think there’s just some confusion on my part as to what is vegetarian in Buddhist perspective. Actually that reminded me once I saw a nun carrying soft boiled eggs to eat, a stranger and me turned and look at each other and we asked one another “可以吃蛋?”

30th (Monday)

Breakfast - I rarely have breakfast but since I needed to prepare lil’ one’s breakfast (she’s on HBL), I steamed an extra yam bun for myself. 


Lunch - fried with mushroom vegetarian sauce


Dinner - hubby’s extra vegetarian kuey chap dishes + celery n eggplant. Hungry after that and ate indomie 😂


31st (Tue)

Lunch - vegetarian kuey chap


Dinner - vegetarian mee rebus. Was a tu craving for laksa n mee Siam but I’m having a sore throat n cough now so decided to have non spicy food 


1st (Wed) 

Lunch - vegetarian Lor mee. 


Dinner - vegetarian bee Hoon


4 days down, 3 more days to go. It’s quite a challenge though. Have to think thru what’s the ingredients. Just like the other day the man came back with rojak, happily offered me and said it’s vegetarian what? But I think of the prawn paste to make the rojak sauce is not vegetarian. 


2nd (Thu)

I realised I get so hungry fast when I’m on vegetarian. Maybe coz I cut down on the carbs (rice, noodles etc..)


At 10.30am my stomach screamed hungry. I had 2 eggs (actually it’s 4, see my Thermie #5 post). I shall go and pack vegetarian from OTH before picking lil one up later. Wah….. honestly how do people stay on vegetarian? I thought it would be easy since I don’t mind veggies. 


Lunch : Had MOS burger instead. I wanted a place to sit down without the lunch crowd before doing my aunty grocery run. 


Dinner : kuey chap


3rd Feb (Fri)
Yes! Second last day. 
Lunch - carrot cake. No idea what to eat, I think this one can right? 

Dinner - fried rice with pathetic strands of vegetables n egg. Ok, better don’t complain as long as I’m not eating meat. Wanted to use Lee Wee Bros sambal chilli but realised baby shrimps as one of their ingredients, used Thai Chilli instead. 

But I get hungry so fast. Really?! If a stranger sees me eating again and again, he/she will mistaken me for a preggie lady. Hmm…. I feel like eating peanut butter bread now

4th Feb 
Lunch : dunno where hubby helped to pack this. All the veggies and home Thai chilli sauce
Dinner is vegetarian kuey chap which he packed for his lunch and some extras for my dinner. 

Ok, that’s it! I’ve made it through one week and now I’m craving for nonya dumplings 🤣






No comments: