Thursday, January 4, 2018

Why take photos?

Pauline, our companion with us on our US holiday in Dec 2017 told me she doesn't take that much photos when she travels, unlike me. She prefers to use her eyes to see and immerse it there and there. While I agree with her, that spending 10 minutes of using my eyes to view the beautiful scenery and appreciate God's creation and absorbing it whole 
rather than 5 mins and then the next 5 mins looking through the camera screen. God forbid, I don't lose my eyesight next time, it's a way for me to retrieve old photos and look back (though many times it's more depressing when I see a prettier and slimmer me).

But ... still.. why? Photos can make me recall better. Sometimes photos don’t turn out well as usually I take them in a rush so as not to keep people waiting. However at least I'll have 10 decent shots out of 20 right? So these will aid me when I have Alzheimer. Or like what Che-Che says “it’s a photo print of a building that will never exist again, like the one we took in Christchurch. Perhaps too, things that are exposed to the natural elements might tumble into the ocean but at least I got the shots years before.  

I love to take pictures, will be much better if I'm on my own so that I can spend however long I want to snap my desired angles. Hubby is not one who appreciate nature . Che-che and me do. Lil’ one loses patience and keeps complaining. I won’t do lone trips with lil' one coz she’s the boriest traveller!! Che Che appreciates the nature but she’s lazy to adjust the camera properly. Everything is on auto. 

So, over the years I have photos. I'm not too sure if I should say I have alot or too little because over the years videoing / taking pics of the girls become lesser as we all got more busy. But I'm glad that I'm generous in this aspect since I don't develop the photos anymore. So is it a waste of time? Waste of space? No, I'm glad I have multiple disk to save the digital pics and if there isn't enough, I can always buy another hard disk. No problemo!  

And then there's the problem of not finishing the photo album in time. At this time as I'm typing this, I still haven't complete my 2008 NZ photos. I did have the next 2 years holiday photos printed out already so will need to complete them in goodness knows how many years later. So, the photobook comes along, take as much time too cause my photo album is like my travel book like that. The only good thing is I still can scan in tickets, so some things are not virtually lost though the actual stuff would be better.

For the last trip to US - 
Che-Che took some really neat photos. Some I can’t figure out what she’s taking and I had a good laugh. But like I said it’s “through the eyes of a child”. Any possible thing can be turned into a masterpiece. One speck of black pepper from different angles can turn it differently.
DSLR - gave me some very nice shots. Even when I did it on Auto . Esp the ones I took of the girls at Lake Mead. Or maybe coz my girls are pretty models?? Haha! I thought I was prepared when I did some research on how/what to adjust prior to trip. But .... I couldn’t test it till I was there. So constellations is a big letdown. I need to study photography or read a book .... and when I found out my aperture minimum is f/4 when I need f/2.8 for astrophotography. Sigh.... let's pray for another trip soon. 

But this trip I learnt something. Nobody is so troublesome like me, having to carry video camera and all. Airport security checks is like eh......I look more troublesome than anchorwoman. I'm glad iPhone turned some decent shots out. I was surprise that I could take specks of stars from iPhone but not on the other 2 cameras. But yet another day in Lone Pine, I was able to take photo from DSLR. But my hands shook. I was freaking cold, the tripod was in the car and I was lazy to bring it into the room. I regretted. 

Video camera also ran out of space. 9hours leh! How come used up so fast?!  So took the rest on iPhone n will figure out how to extract n edit into a disc.

Disc - old fashioned as what sister said. True. But we did have cds on the young girls and even our travels so I feel it's a pity if I don't continue. 没事找麻烦.  

I hope I can find the time to read up more on photography and hopefully by our next holiday end of this year I can get some nice decent photos on DSLR. 




No comments: