Monday, January 29, 2018

Frightful - entry drafted on 31st Dec 17 #lateposting

I wouldn't say that I'm a 100% fearless person. I used to be fearless when I sat on roller coasters. As we age, we know what is fear and tend to be more cautious and prudent over every thing which we wouldn't feel when we were younger. 

Then we heard the news of a Singaporean family accident in Grand Canyon while we were in Yosemite showed me how vulnerable our lives are when we're driving in foreign countries.

Now I know why mom was chanting when we were driving in NZ. I did twice in the US! In the dark into Grand Canyon and out of Death valley. Though it was the same route we took 16 years ago, but I kindda forgot what we were driving along in the Park before reaching our hotel. Are we driving next to the rim of the canyon? Where one wrong move may land us down below in the canyon? 

Hubby drove on most trips, and I had to help him keep a lookout most time. Firstly, he is quite a reckless harried driver. Secondly, nobody was looking out for him or trying to keep him awake.
The time I was chanting (Yes! I was chanting prayers as hubby was driving) prayers was when we had to get out of Death Valley fast. It was a last minute decision to check out at 4.30pm, so we were driving in the dark. And OMG! I didn't know it was that huge! 2 hours later, we were still in Death Valley!! We were driving on 190 through Panamint to Lone Pine. Lots of winding roads, I had to remind him to go slow. The other two adults napped in the car. (Which explains why I'm hesistant in him driving in snowy conditions. His pride! Didn't want to learn how to put snow-chain, claims he knows how but ... in actual fact didn't know. Do you think I'd like to risk my and my kids' lives?)     

I’m always learning new things everyday. Prior to trip I read about this but having being so used to having lights everywhere in small Singapore, I never realised how dark dark means. It’s really 手伸不见五指. Freaking scary and I was chanting myself while the other 2 adults slept. I can’t believe it! How complacent. I’m not only worried about the straight road which can put anyone sleepy, what more someone behind the wheels but also on the curvy roads where one wrong turn might land us dead.

Death Valley has terrains that we can see gradient slopes going up and down in the daytime. So when driving in the night... I had to keep reminding him to go slow. Now you should understand why I was so frightened and started chanting prayers. 

No comments: