Saturday, January 6, 2018

Grand Canyon - entry drafted on 5th Dec 17 #lateposting#

Che-che asked me last night if we could make a trip to walk on the glass walkway. I was a little shocked at first, why would Grand Canyon need a glass walkway when people can hike down (walk on the real thing) and ... since there is no fence on the edge, miss one step and you'll probably plummet down the canyon, would anyone need the thrill of walking on a glass walkway? 

Truth to be told I have never heard of this before, because ....I guess I'm ignorant. Trying to act smart (even before I made checks), I told her nobody goes to West Rim, the South Rim is more exciting and has much more beautiful view than what she can see in West Rim. The glass walk is nothing when she can stand real close to the edge. Of course I didn't tell her how many accidental deaths there are in Grand Canyon. In my opinion, West Rim is offered to tour groups who wants to "see" Grand Canyon but don't have much time. For most, it would be their first time to Grand Canyon, so they would think that Grand Canyon is what they saw. They wouldn't know that they're missing the most spectacular views in South Rim, better still when you can stay in the park. I guess I was half right in my guess coz a friend went there and later I found out that she went with a tour group. Hmm..... no wonder. 


In  my opinion, I would prefer to go South Rim. It has a higher elevation of 7000 ft. Moreover, this being my second time, if I had seen the better view,  would I "downgrade" my view?



There are always two sides to a coin. Some may applaud this for an easy access to Grand Canyon without travelling for another 2 hours plus into the South Rim. Some likes it coz it's the only place where you can take a helicopter to the bottom of the canyon. 
But I didn't like it when I read that visitors have to pay for a hefty per person price to get in and then another price for the walk, no cameras or handphones allowed, they have a photographer there to help you take photo and then make you buy from them. Another feedback I read is that west rim is not part of the Grand Canyon, and it is owned by Native Americans. One even feedback that it is not properly taken care of. ?? I'm not sure how credible is this feedback.
In South Rim, they charge by per car - $30. And if you have the annual National Park pass, which we have, we are able to offset the charges. 
extracted from : Grand Canyon West - The Skywalk - An Unbiased View
Many visitors wishing to view and tour the Grand Canyon are confused by information about an attraction called Grand Canyon West, sometimes referred to as the West Rim*. It is not in Grand Canyon National Park.
East of Lake Mead near Las Vegas, on the southern side of the Colorado River is the Hualapai Nation Reservation. Their private enterprise is called Grand Canyon West. Grand Canyon West's Eagle Point is where the Grand Canyon Skywalk is located. The Skywalk has been completed and rolled out over the side canyon. It opened March 28, 2007. TheSkywalk is not 4000' above the Colorado River as has been advertised. It is at an elevation about 3000' higher than the river and is on a side canyon.
For anyone contemplating a visit to Grand Canyon West, GrandCanyon.com has a very fair, comprehensive and unbiased video about Grand Canyon West and the Skywalk on their web site (scroll down on their web site). While the page does contain some brief mention of their own tour services, it is primarily a very good overview of what GCW is and what to expect. See this.
Another interesting read on the comparison between the two. Click here.

No comments: