Tuesday, May 22, 2018

My home the National Geographic

My goodness! Ever since I’ve moved here, I’ve seen countless of insects. Weird ones too!

Let me start from the very beginning.

>  I had more roach intruders than in my previous home of 13yrs. Tho’ the last time I had one small one was months months ago.

> I scream “lizard!!” more than ever. Tho’ lizzie are friends but I hate the idea of having another family prying into my privacy. It’s a conflicting emotion when I see lizard. If I don’t see it, it could be feasting on whatever crawlies came into our house unspotted. If I see it, means there’s no buffet left and they’re looking for food outside or .... perhaps hinting to me “yo woman. I smell food in your house.” Whatever it is, I will try to get rid whenever I see one. As I’m speaking, there’s one lurking somewhere in che-che’s room or maybe caught between window and mosquito netting. Tried to get rid of it, but it went missing after I came back with my peppermint spray. Why is it so difficult to remove lizard? Why no spray to kill them?  

> I have housefly flying into my house when I’ve done heavy cooking and not yet cleaned the kitchen and air out the kitchen. (Rosemary oil to do the last cleanup after the scrubbings. And a fan positioned into the kitchen with sliding windows to dining area closed to blow out the stale air into the opened up yard area. It's so troublesome! That's why sometimes I really hate to cook.) 

> For the past months, I’ve been cursing at the big black ants 🐜 taking my house as their holiday chalet. 

> With plants outside the PES, needless to say the little creatures need food too. I’ve chopped off leaves with slight sight of aphids. I’ve killed countless of lime caterpillars in my I thought it was some chinese orange plant. Though last week lil’ one decided she wanted some pets. Haha! Got 6 of them. One is in chrysalis stage.
http://butterflycircle.blogspot.sg/2011/11/life-history-of-lime-butterfly-v20.html?m=1

> I’ve seen the weirdest disgusting things till I found out they were earwigs in the yard area. I found the best solution for intrusion  - covering the drain covers with sticky tapes - that reduced the number of crawlies I vacuumed up or killed.
> Late last week, saw and caught one big insect, which I found out later is the weaver ant queen. It was walking real slowly and reckoned injured coz otherwise it wouldn’t be so easy to catch it (not with my hands). The Queen! I got the Queen! And with the Queen, I bet there must be a nest somewhere with the plants outside my compound. When I caught it into a container, I managed to catch 2 other big black ants 🐜 that sneakily came in from the PES. There were 3 of them in the container and strangely they minded their own business which I thought that perhaps they’re not related. Coincidently, the next day someone posted in Urban Farmers FB page about this and that’s how I know it’s the Weaver ant queen. Best solution to get rid of ants is to get rid of the Queen 👑 . 

Oh great! What an adventure I’ve had so far without venturing through amazon-y 🌳. While I do not want to have chemical laden insecticide in my house, I guess I have no choice but to go down to the pest buster shop one day. I really need to get rid of the irritating black 🐜. 

Oh! Heard there were sightings of snakes and rats and monitor lizard in our compound before. Scary isn’t it? Worry snake come into the house ; worry snake gets into the sewage and gives us a nice surprise to our butt when we 💩 poo. 

No comments: