Friday, December 6, 2019

SSO Concerts in 2019

I haven't been to SSO concerts since 2003, that's 16 years of me missing in action. All these years I survived on listening to Symphony 92.4 and my CDs. So when Mr Sim made the Band girls attend the National Day concert, I made my purchase as well since I needed to pick her up from Esplanade. Attended a few more concerts thereafter. I'm not sure why I didn't think about going for the same concerts when che-che was in Band. Maybe coz it'll be easier if the school 'babysit' lil'' one instead of me. *keke*  

10th Aug - SSO NATIONAL DAY CONCERT 2019

Celebrate Singapore’s National Day in this all-Singaporean showcase of homegrown musical flair. The Singapore Symphony Orchestra joins forces with the Singapore Symphony Chorus and Youth Choir directed by conductor Joshua Tan, for a jubilant evening of familiar favourites and new inspirations. This is home, truly, and our music will tell us so.

PROGRAMME

A. DIETZ (ARR. BERTRAM WEE) : Raffles March (World Premiere)

TSAO CHIEH March (Colonial Days) from Singapore, Symphonic Suite for Large Orchestra

KELLY TANG : MONTAGE: Concerto for Jazz Piano & Orchestra

- Intermission -

TONY MAKAROME : Jewel of Srivijaya for Mridangam, Tabla and Orchestra (World Premiere)

LEE JINJUN : Kampong Overture (World Premiere)

LAM CHAO PHANG (ARR. LEONG YOONG PIN) : The Awakening

VARIOUS COMPOSERS (ARR. PHOON YEW TIEN) : March On - A Medley of NS Songs* (World Premiere)

TAN, K.C. (ARR. KELLY TANG) : Voices from the Heart

LEE JINJUN : Our Singapore Dream* (World Premiere)

DICK LEE (ARR. KELLY TANG) : Home*

In our preferred Premier Box seats where we can read the scores 

Why is she all the way at the back?


Such touching rendition of our songs. Proud to be a Singaporean until I start cursing over the education system, taxes and ERP gantries.
Singapore Symphony Chorus and Youth Choir - made me rekindle fond memories of my choir days with Mrs Helen Lie and Mrs Karen Jalleh as our choir mistresses. 

Pic taken from SSO FB page


30th Aug - MOONRISE AND AURORA (A FILM AND MUSIC EXPERIENCE)
Wondrous is the bright, the moonrise, the northern light. Step into a marvellous conjunction of film and music to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Apollo moon-landing. Astronomer, experimental photographer, science educator and visual artist José Salgado, well-known for combining science and symphony, is our guest presenter in his two films Moonrise and the Aurora Triptych. An awe-inspiring experience not to be missed.

This was something that I wanted to go, so I booked the tickets without asking if che-che would want to go with me. But would she reject anything that is free (for her) and a chance to escape from studying?  

PROGRAMME
JOSÉ FRANCISCO SALGADO
Moonrise a film by José Salgado (with live music from Ravel's Daphnis & Chloé)
JOSÉ FRANCISCO SALGADO
Aurora Triptych a 3-part film by José Salgado (with live music by John Estacio: Solaris, Borealis and Wondrous Light)

Jose Salgado talked about his astrophotography in Yellowstone. I wish I can go, with a suitable companion of course. 






8th Nov - Chorus of the Planets (date with the big girl) 

PROGRAMME

BARBER : Symphony No. 1 in One Movement

BEETHOVEN : Choral Fantasy for Piano, Chorus and Orchestra, Op. 80

- Intermission -

HOLST : The Planets, Op. 32

We went for our first pre-concert talk after an early dinner 

We couldn't get our preferred Premier Box seats so settled for the Circle 2 seats. According to her these seats here have good acoustic. She knows her stuffs (if only she's that good in her studies) well

She was looking forward to this concert coz she heard one of Holst piece during school band practice. This is what I like about Mr Sim, he ensures the girls play music not just for playing but to enjoy the process and to appreciate music. 
 
The Planets, Op. 32, is a seven-movement orchestral suite written between 1914 and 1916. Each movement of the suite is named after a planet of the solar system and its corresponding astrological character as defined by Holst. So it was a really long piece. I could identify with 2 movements. As usual I would have heard it on radio before but just don't know what piece. So it was the aha moment for me when I heard the Mars and Jupiter pieces. 
I really salute the players who could sit through the whole 50 minutes while I was fidgeting my sore butt away.

22nd Nov - The Jussen Brothers Play Mozart

The talented, blonde, blue-eyed Dutch brothers, Lucas and Arthur, are a fresh byword for double-piano fare, and their presentation of the charming K.365 Mozart concerto is sure to delight. Guest conductor Gabriel Bebeşelea presents the Asian premiere of the Pastorale by his great Romanian compatriot, Enescu. Rediscovered only in 2017 and prepared for performance by Bebeselea himself, it is an intriguing partner to Beethoven’s beloved Pastoral Symphony.

PROGRAMME
MOZART : Concerto No. 10 for Two Pianos, K.365​​​​​​
- Intermission/Autograph Session -
ENESCU : Pastorale-Fantaisie for Small Orchestra (Asian Premiere)
BEETHOVEN : Symphony No. 6 in F major, Op. 68 “Pastoral”

We couldn't make it in time for the pre-concert talk this time coz I had to pick che-che up from school.

Hoping the brothers can rub some positive influence to my girls.
Why is che-che smiling so cheerfully? 





Pic taken from SSO FB. 
When we got out from Intermission, noticed the queue was short despite us coming out late. So we just joined the queue. I think che-che treasures her autographed booklet more than anything.

This pic was taken from SSO FB page, can you see our backs?

If only my 2 girls can play a duet. Sigh.... they will start quarreling in first bar  

psst ... dutch guys are rather good - looking don't you agree? Haha! I remember telling che-che this when we were in AMS


Very expressive brothers. Superb performance and now I shall see if can catch them in Concertgebouw in the near future.
 

5th Dec - Zhang Haochen plays Mozart (just big girl n me)

PROGRAMME
MOZART : Piano Concerto No. 24 in C minor, K.491

- Intermission -

BRUCKNER : Symphony No. 4 in E-flat major




After intermission, it's just SSO. I think this is the last time we will see Lynette Seah perform. 

A good concert I'll take triple take on Zhang Haochen playing. He's seated upright without moving, just his fingers moving. A total contrast with the Jussen Brothers. As what che-che told me, suppose to feel with music. And then I reminded her she was the only person swaying during her performance  and I was worried if she'd fall off her chair.

This sums up our 2019 concerts. See you next year SSO! Continue making music.  



























  

No comments: