Sunday, February 17, 2019

Living without a car

(in my case) in small easily accessible Singapore is inconvenient. Maybe I'm just too spoilt after having a car freely at my disposal for the past 16-17 years.

While Singapore is linked by every possible ways with efficient bus and train network, the thought of the slow commute under the hot sun made me think twice about going on public transport. (ok, I'm spoilt) Though there are possible things that I can do in the bus - sleep, check emails, phone housekeeping etc.. I think I still prefer to save the time. I will be more healthy since i need to walk to the bus stop from home but under the hot sun? 

Though we are not entirely handicap without one, we still have hubby's car. However, there are days when he need the car to get to his ulu workplace.
It's not like I do amazing race across the island when I had the car but there are days when I need to run my errands and I am so restricted.   

How did we ever come to such situation? It started coz' we had to scrap Mr Nissan in mid Jan, so in October last year we went to the motor fair to look for a new car. Auto Germany, the agent for Opel, couldn't even deliver the car in 6 bids. That means something is wrong right? We bought so many cars before and this is the first time such incident arose. I was so skeptical that the price for the car was so low for what hubby claimed to be, the price is like 20K cheaper than original price. Perhaps it was a hunch. Hubby posted a negative comment on their FB page and received message from a stranger. Seems like she's in touch with some people who are stuck without getting their refund back. So is Auto German a dishonest agent?

But -- for a SAHM, my job was to chauffeur the kids from school and I couldn't even do it. Sure, it was nice to just stay at home and get lunch ready on the table the moment the girls reached home. It was nice that I didn't have to leave house halfway to pick them. Sure, it takes only 35- 40mins to reach home, which is reasonably not too bad. But with the car, they can have their meals in the car. Reach home slightly earlier than when taking bus and immediately they can shower and have more time for doing their homework/s, revision or whatever nots.     

26th Jan - we went down on a car-hunt and got a car. Hopefully we can get the car by April. 

** update on 23rd Feb - we're getting our new Honda car soon. 

No comments: