Thursday, February 15, 2018

Poly or JC or idle around ? - entry drafted on 15th Jan 18 #lateposting

The first two Saturdays of Jan kept che-che and me busy. Thankfully hubby is in town, so I roped him in to help with Ah-mat (chauffeuring) duties. He helped by bringing lil’ one from tuition to tuition while I picked che-che up from her tuition and go Open Houses after that. 

The first weekend after school re-opened, 6th, brought her to the nearest two polytechnics (Nanyang and Temasek) from our home. I wanted to bring her to Singapore Poly, which is 19km away, but because of time constraint (all Open House ends at 4pm, her tuition ended at 11.30am) decided that the nearest two will suffice to see if she’s keen in Poly studies. 

My dear girl, until now, has no idea where her interest lies. I don’t mind her going Poly, most importantly she must have the interest in that field and she needs go somewhere to study after her O’s right? Of course there are cases where Masters holders make a switch in their career halfway. I’m hoping this will not happen coz it means our hard-earn money down the drain. 

Biomedical courses sounds really interesting to me and she’s quite alright with her Sciences subjects. I think no retrenchment possibilities right? I know Engineering is not her, so this is OUT. Next, Business Studies is almost every girls’ would go course - too popular. Hubby, being in HR, mentioned that Accountancy and Finance is very stable but she shows no interest. 

One job she does best is a ‘killer’. She kills people with her words. Haha! Year 2 and 3 students were helpful to ask if she’s interested to “find out more about our course”, “bring you on a tour” - she simply kills them with a “No”. She’s too shy and perhaps still clueless. 

She’s an introvert, too quiet that I have no idea what is in her mind. As I thought out the reasons why she still has no idea what she wants to do .... I believe her introvert-ness (if there’s such a word) gives her no place to go. Wherever/ whichever job she partakes, she needs to talk to people but she’s not comfortable? Maybe time will help her ? When I saw that Temasek offers Diploma in Veterinary Technology, I pointed out to her and she was like “Eee....but why?” Being too straight forward (sometimes I dunno how to be tactful with her), I said “you only need to talk to pets?” She gave me that disgusted look. 

After the visit, I told her if she can’t make up her mind. The next choice would be JC. It will give her some time (2 years) to think through before she decides which course to take in Uni. 
On the 13th, the day after results were released, we visited Nanyang JC (my choice coz it’s near home and standard equally as good as VJC) and VJC (her choice). But because of the F&E manner we went through each JCs, we finished one JC so fast. I told her I can slot one more JC for her. So after NYJC, I drove to SAJC (also near home) before going over to VJC. She wanted to go ACJC, but their Open House was already over, on school days!! Crazy! Anyway, I did tell her that ACJC is far. But she wanted to be there because the Band is good. Distance between school and home is of paramount importance when it comes to Secondary level onwards. 

I know her interest lies in Band but she has to consider that schooling is not just on Band. When she’s in JC, she’s required to stay back in school later, the distance will kill her and she can’t be expecting me to be sending her to and from school coz I have no idea where lil’ one will go then. As a parent, I do my best in making life easier for my kids but my kids have to consider for me, your mom is getting tired from all the chauffeuring around too. And as I explained “while Band can gives you form of relaxation but Band has heavy commitment too. If you’re able to cope, I’m happy to support you. If you go to school just coz the Band is good, what help is it going to offer you? Be a busker?” I think some words got into her right? Coz a few days later I asked if she is going to try and DSA into JCs. She wasn’t keen. 

DSA
Anyway, let me tell you. It’s a tough competition out there. A lot of kiasu parents give their children private instrument courses, where their teacher can help in the Audition pieces. How about my daughter? Who is clueless on what to do, what songs to play. I also feel she’s wasting her time going for auditions. Worst! When this DSA game also relies on 关系 and backdoors. We got what door for her? Balcony door? Bedroom door? Main door?

Interesting CCAs
At SAJC, I was surprised when she finally agreed to one student’s request to know more about Outdoor Activities Club. Or perhaps it’s expected that she’ll show a slight interest in this? She’s after all more daring than lil’ one. She’ll go on high elements without thinking. Somehow I think she needs the balance too. Having sat down on chairs (making her butt big) for 4 years in Band. Standing for 4 years in primary school playing Handbells. She’s almost turning into a vampire staying indoors. Is it high time she gets OUT in the SUN to exercise and ...then slim down?  

NYJC and VJC has Astronomers Club and Photographic Society which caught my attention. Very interesting and I’m sure she has some interests in that too. 
Of course, the CCA choice lies in her ultimately. If she continues in Band, I’ll still continue to fangirl-ling her. 

Results Results
At the end of the day, she must produce the results right? In order to get into JCs, she must get single digit L1R5. In order to get into Polys, she must get below 12 or 11 L1R4. As explained to her that she can make better choices when she gets good grades than to have horrible results and she’s left with no choice. Trust me, I've gone through hell and back with this unmotivated girl.She don't walk the talk.   


2017 O levels Results
extracted from The Straits Times 
SINGAPORE - The results of the 2017 O-level examination were released on Friday (Jan 12), with performance levels appearing to dip marginally below the 2016 showing.
The proportion of O-level candidates who achieved at least five passes last year fell to 83.4 per cent, compared with 84.3 per cent in 2016.
Some 96.4 per cent of the candidates secured three or more passes - slightly below the 96.5 per cent who managed this in 2016.
In other words, the results is not good. And as what tutor said, SAEB is not being generous in their grading now. So it means to get that A1 is more difficult. I hope his words wakes this girl up! 
Committing Suicide
No wonder students are committing suicide right? There are many unreported cases. On one hand, they say results is not everything. On the other hand, they're making things difficult for the children.Why? Why?Why?



No comments: