Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Keto food delivery - trial (Tried 4X)

Hubby told me why not get keto food catering for self. Indeed there are at least 2 companies doing catering and I wanted to try out (not for the long run). Did explain to him that the catering is expensive, to which he said that my groceries alone per month cost the same price. Ehh.... he inflated the rate lah!  I don't drink bleach, Dettol and eat toilet rolls leh! And ....his favourite stocking up on canned drinks! He counted those in.

But I wanted to experiment with more food.    

1st order : 21st March 
Ordered 2 dry laksa and 1 strawberry graham cheesecake




My first order

The laksa is rather bland in the taste, maybe because it's the dry version. Tau pok is not keto friendly right? And although I'm not a great fan of prawns, I had to eat them otherwise I can't make up the macros.  
Other than that, this is my first time tasting oat fibre noodles. Definitely needs some getting used to it. However it's such a small portion, I was hungry after a while 

The cheesecake is yummy. A bottle has 2 servings, so I had to cut it into half lor!   

2nd order : 4th April 
Ordered 2 bak-chor mee and 1 tiramisu with $57.60 flying out of my pocket

Bak chor "sauce" has that small level of spiciness which I'm happy with, there's a hint of vinegar which defines a bak-chor mee from other mees (except lor mee). Again, I'm a fan of black vinegar so I don't mind this. Only the sauce may be a little too thin for my taste coz I love mine with lots of vinegar. Then again is vinegar keto friendly? 
Again it's such a small portion, it didn't fill up my tummy and I was hungry again. And for keto woe, you need tot feel full not hungry and tend to look elsewhere for food. Which is what I did, or perhaps it was really the tiramisu tempting me. I couldn't wait and had half the portion after finishing 2 portion of noodles.   




Tiramisu is nice. Not that sweet at all, and the cheesy taste melts into my mouth


3rd order : 11th April 
 
Ordered 2 Dry Mee Siam and 2 bubur cha cha for $49.60


Mee Siam is nice. It does have that tangy taste. I love mee siam both dry and wet so I really like this. 

Bubur cha cha is nice. Although I'm more of a clear dessert cheng teng person, this coconut milk laden dessert doesn't make me feel guilty after knowing that coconut milk / cream has good fats.  Perhaps if they have cheng teng, I might order that.  


4th order : 18th April

Repeated same order but doubled the portion (x4 Dry Mee Siam), thinking the man might want to eat the burbur cha cha so ordered 3. They had these tarts too! So I tried a mixed set of 4. 
Total damage : $100.30 

The noodles - I split into 2 days (2 portion for one meal). Which wasn't that tasteful when I had to reheat it. So really, I shouldn't be greedy and just order for the day, plus I was quite sick of the taste already. 

Both tarts are nice but I prefer the "apple" crumble cheese tart. This gives me some inspiration to make on my own next time, I have looked up for recipes. Let hubby try and he was quite impressed too how they can use chokos as a substitute.  
No pics to post here coz the pics didn't turn out well. 


Verdict : The food is a good getaway from my boring food. But I must stress it is not sustainable. We cannot rely on the "noodles" and "rice" to keep us full but instead get nutrients-filled real food to satiate us. My experiment cost me alot of $$$, so now must eat grass and drink rain water to save up more money. 

Portion wise : It's really small. And looking at the catered meals for this company, the portion is equally small, I might end up cooking again. By then I would have overshoot my macros, so might as well just cook from scratch for self. 

Catering : The food are catered twice a week, meaning I'd have to freeze/fridge and then heat up the food. This spoils the taste and I don't really like to eat food that is cooked a day before / leftover food. If the food are catered everyday like tingkats then it'll be better. 

Not sure about other keto catering company/ies but I'm sure portion is small as well. Ingredients is already expensive for a keto/low carb diet, they can't possibly charge low. And the worry I have is ... I'm not exactly a fan of beef, avocado, salmon and some good fats stuffs. With catering, I'm under their mercy, I can't choose whether I want the food or not (and not like my family will want to eat)  

Meanwhile, I shall just cook food my way. And although 辛苦很多点, I think I am able to cook what I think I need/want to eat. There are lots of recipes out there, all I need to do is to be more hardworking and cook nicer food for myself.    

No comments: