Saturday, December 16, 2023

Gebrannte Mandeln

I never quite remember when did I start liking this candied almonds, which year were my eyes opened to the world of weihnachtsmarkts? 1995? I think so! SQ 26! I had my first white Christmas in NYC, in Rockerfella on Christmas Day. God answered my prayers and granted me my first white Christmas, a 20yr-old freshie suaku girl. Thank you for the wonderful experience. 

After resignation from SQ, I still think about it once in a while, always during Christmas time. And why didn’t I think about making them earlier? 

In 2018 in Germany we went to 3 different Christmas markets, each with its own distinctive charm, and there I was searching for my almonds. It was the girls’ first europe trip (the time when they’re big enough to understand. They never knew where they were dragged along when they were younger.) so this mummy who loves to snack had to introduce them to this goodie. Bought so many and ate until I was quite sick of it. ๐Ÿ˜‚ 

When we were in Japan 22, came across a Christmas market. We hardly see any Christmas markets in Japan as it’s not celebrated, but they’re probably trying to draw in the younger generation crowd into this western celebration. Of course the first thing I thought of was my sugar laden snack. Unfortunately there's not much of cinnamon, wine or smoky smell around the market in Kumamoto so I couldn't smell and find my almonds. 

11th Dec - no wonder cannot smell coz packet is sealed up ๐Ÿ˜‚. Yummy-ly sweet. Too sweet for me. 



12th Dec - in Kumamoto. Found this in konbini

Nah! Just some sweet almond vanilla taste. 


Wanted to do this last year!  I found a recipe and for a moment was wondering where to get vanilla sugar. German Market! How can I forget German Market? I like that place, I like to go European style supermarket just dunno how to describe. European supermarket vs American supermarket. Just like our NTUC, Shengshiong and Giant all have different vibes. Will blog more about that on a later date. 
Anyway I went there just to get vanilla sugar and end up getting 8 other rubbish items. Muahaha! 

Why did I get 2 packs? There are  5smaller  packets in one bag. Did I have the intention to make and sell them? ๐Ÿ˜‚ mindestens haltbar bis ende 09 2023 ๐Ÿ˜…. Ok, I won’t die. 

Almonds expired on 24th Nov 2023. Won’t laosai lah! 

That kindda explains why my ingredients are either best before or expired. Anyway.... needed to get my action done, I've been seeing my 2018 FB posts and really missing the christmas markets. Sobs!  

https://www.recipecommunity.com.au/desserts-sweets-recipes/german-roasted-almonds/24j9qn1b-af400-782149-cfcd2-g1g6qa67



INGREDIENTS

55h 0min

Medium

RECIPE'S PREPARATION

Followed the recipe without any adjustments except one packet of vanilla sugar is 8g, I was still a little short of it but with 250g of brown sugar I'm already screaming "thirsty!" 


Store them in a bottle after that. I might want to try other recipes before I can gift it to people. Some other recipes call for butter which I believe will render a slightly different taste. Meanwhile I'm just happy that I made my batch with my expired almonds. 


No comments: