Friday, December 1, 2023

All the goodness in each capsule

Filling up 泡参虫草 into capsules is not an easy task. It's messy when I have powder getting stuck beneath my nails and on fingers, which is solved by licking them up once my job is done for the day, but I would still prefer a cleaner way to do it. 

Saw a few capsule filling kit and decided to get the smallest one - 24 ct as I do not have storage space.

(28th Nov) Finally putting down to action after receiving this few days ago.

The instruction was to put the smaller part of the capsule in another tray and flip it over to this big one and push (there's spring) to lock the capsules. I tried 3 times and everytime I have the small parts scattered all over the tray except where it should be. I think I'm quite dumb! 

In the end, I put the smaller parts into each slot manually 
 
I must admit the "production" is relatively fast. I'm able to churn out 24 capsules in less the usual time.
But because I couldn't fill the smaller part with powder, the capacity in each capsule filled up by the kit is lesser than when I fill manually - I put in alot in both parts and close them together. Heehee! 

Now che-che will have to take 3 capsules instead of 2. Lil' one prefers to have the powder mixed with a tiny drop of water and drink it. I always make her lick the saucer, must eat everything! 


Left for this little bit and decided to call it a day. Ah nia is tired.  

Then I saw this bottle that dropped behind the birds nest box. Why do I only have grinded cordeyceps? How can I miss out american ginseng? I know I always grind them together into a bottle. 
Anyway, I decided to drop by the medical hall in PP and ask boss coz I think that's his handwriting.


I put it side by side to compare the colour. It's darker than the packed ones.

30th Nov 
Boss confirmed that it's his handwriting. I think his wife kindda misunderstood me when she asked me what help I needed when boss was busy with another customer. She thought I was going to complain him shortchanging me. Haha! I  asked him how much of american ginseng should I get to mix the two together? One liang of american ginseng is enough. 
1 liang = 50g = $320/-. OMG! There's another expensive one at $360 and $400+. Ehh...... 

So I came back home and was about to scoop the 2nd spoon cordeyceps into the ginseng when I suddenly recalled why I had this bottle of cordeyceps! 我的天啊!为什么两天的时间想不出?I specifically had this grinded so that everything is eaten when I brew the herbs. Usually the family don't eat the ginseng (it's really yummy)  and it's strange coz che-che says she likes the paoshen drink which I just added hot water to the slices. I'm the only person who eats the ginseng, but I hesitate when I look at the wormy resemblance cordyceps. Cordyceps are not cheap at all. It used to sell at $180 in a small box then it increase price to .> $250 or possibly more now. I bought 6 boxes last time so can stretch usage.   

About Cordyceps 
Do not be mistaken when you see the word cordyceps in 1 or 2 types of pre-pack herbal packs to make soup in the supermarkets. Those are cordyceps militaris. This packet of herbs only costs $5.80



When one box of this cordyceps sinensis with only has 7.5g inside and already costs $250 (from Tibet) the last time I bought and the price keeps rising. 

This is cordyceps sinensis. They either come from Qinghai, Sichuan or Tibet. There's even better ones,  which are even fatter than the ones I have. And if one uses that, they can just use a few lesser ''worms'' in the brew. Ah-nia not that rich lah!   

From Hockhua website : The price of cordyceps depends on its place of origin. The higher the altitude, the pricier the cordyceps due to the difficulty in obtaining the herb. Hence cordyceps from Tibet and Qinghai are highest in quality and price.
Tibet Cordyceps is dark in colour and bigger in size; it also exudes a strong smell of ghee. Qinghai Cordyceps tend towards golden yellow in colour; it is firmer and has a fragrant smell liken to mushrooms. Sichuan produces smaller cordyceps than Tibet and Qinghai. Sichuan Cordyceps has longer stroma, is darker in colour and harder in texture.
Ahh.... came across this while I was searching for the above picture


When I asked lady boss what they use to fill up the capsules, she showed me the 100ct kit. She asked me how much I paid for mine from Taobao. Only less than $15 inc shipping. She paid $200+ to the seller in SIN, I didn't want to rub salt into her and tell her I saw it in Taobao for less than $20. When I asked if it's easy for her to flip the small part of the capsule into the tray, she said it's not easy it doesn't hold so she usually cap the capsules manually. Ok so that means I'm not dumb afterall. Maybe the people who did the demo edited their video.  



I was asked a few times by friends why do I have to pack the capsules myself. Can't I just buy them off the shelf in medical halls or Shoppee? 

1) 60 capsules for $50
2) 30 capsules for $12
3) Cordyceps capsules 60 capsules for $79
4) 100 capsules for $40
5) EuYanSang 90 capsules for $117

Makes me wonder since they need to make profit, what is the base cost? When I pack the capsules myself, I choose the better quality american ginseng and better cordyceps. I know and pay $$$ for what I want to feed my family. 

Since I'm on the topic on TCM, I do boil herbal drinks for the family too and these are what I use 
1) Chrysanthemum : prefer 杭州胎菊  
2)石斛 : use the premium dendrobrium 霍山 which can easily cost $150 or more
3) Honeysuckle 金银花  : Fengqiu is the best with its high quality

End of the day, 健康就是财富,I'm usually more willing to splurge on our health. 
 



No comments: